Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so in another thread someone brought up this picture from the Kickstarter.

This is apparently the opening art for the Nemesis chapter. To which I responded "Oh, it looks like the Butcher." If you look the giant distorted face looks like the Butcher's helmet magnified, with the back spikes matching the motif on the Butcher's helmet and pauldon. (Possibly also his back, only pictures of him I've seen have him wearing a cloak.)

So, the Butcher's description is:
The Butcher is the remains of a Forsaker swallowed by long years of wrestling with the primal rage that gave him power. Nothing remains of the man, just a mess of flesh clinging to the insides of the Forsaker's armor, animated by nihilistic fury to destroy on the road through oblivion.

The Butcher collects the lanterns and skinned faces of his victims, a perversion of the humanity that echoes inside its near hollow armor.

The Butcher is a nemesis monster, that constantly stalks the players and grows with their power.

So yeah. I then sat back and thought, "Well what's casting all that light?" It's a Nemesis monster, it comes to the settlement, that's the lantern horde. Makes sense. Then I thought to myself, "self, why would someone leave a big pile of lanterns out in the middle of nowhere? Lanterns are important, lanterns might very well be the souls of those who carry them. Who would willingly just pile those up in a place and leave them.... oh *$!%."

Yeah, the Lantern Horde is the secret stash of all of the lanterns the Butcher has stolen, I suspect.

Am I wrong, right, crazy? Old theory I never heard of? Just curious what people think.
(Edited to cut out some wrong information.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think the large creature is a Phoenix.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You can see the image in better detail here.

You're correct that that is just the shadow of the thing, but I think you're misreading that other shadow off to the right, that's just a building or structure. If anything it's more like the thing on the far far right at the edge of the picture that looks like a monster in the background (though that one is crouched and not holding a lantern, but maybe same species?). If you look at where everyone in the picture is looking towards, it's towards the shadow in the middle and not the darker shadow between the pillars. It may have something to do with the Butcher, but I think it's just supposed to be a random monster thing that isn't represented in the game (yet?). The Butcher seems like just an animated suit of armor, but the Lanterns that he collects go on the back of his animal fur cape thing with skulls and skinned faces.

I think it's definitely possible that the lanterns have something to do with it and maybe the Butcher is attracted by the Lantern Hoard initially to the Survivors, but I think connecting that picture to the Butcher is reading too much into that portion of it. Who knows though, maybe when you kill the Butcher it releases some monster like that? But the Lantern Hoard itself looks like a structure that was actually built by somebody or something with intelligence or magical ability (more likely the Watcher), whereas the Butcher is just a mindless killing armor-golem, I doubt it'd have the ability to build that structure. The image is likely included with the Nemesis section because it shows the Survivors being hunted by something. Nemesis monsters are a type of monster you can fight, something that hunts the players vs Lions and Antelopes that the players hunt after. Don't forget that the Man Hunter is also considered a Nemesis monster too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
Not this again... It's not the Phoenix and it's not the Butcher, it's obviously something we haven't seen before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nevertellmetheodds wrote:
Not this again... It's not the Phoenix and it's not the Butcher, it's obviously something we haven't seen before.

Yeah, pretty tiresome, huh. A complete waste of time., right? shake

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
LL6869 wrote:
Alright, so in another thread someone brought up this picture fro It's a Nemesis monster, it comes to the settlement, that's the lantern horde. Makes sense. Then I thought to myself, "self, why would someone leave a big pile of lanterns out in the middle of nowhere? Lanterns are important, lanterns might very well be the souls of those who carry them. Who would willingly just pile those up in a place and leave them.... oh *$!%."

We know the Lion God makes or acquires piles of Lanterns. Apparently so it can stand on them.

We also know that none of the Monsters can see without light.

And that the Scribe apparently makes people complete with a lantern each when he writes them into existance.

Given how wierd everything is I could see Lanterns being Sunstalker poo.

My current guess as to the creature in the Nemesis art is the Vermilion Raven siunce it is red and apparently a source of aromatic chemicals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure dahak, part of the reason I suspect it's a Butcher is frankly because it would make sense for the introductory art to the chapter on Nemesi to be the first Nemesis you encounter!

But yeah. Also Sunstalkers seem to be vomit technicolor shiny rainbow. Considering how twisted Adam is, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have a poo hole and puked its poo too.

Also have never heard of the Vermillion Raven, but compelling...

Also, Dahak in Armageddon Inheritance was awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
Other than having tusks on it's head that are sorta similar to the butcher there is nothing else about it that is similar, if anything it could be the thing that the butcher's helm is made from. It's hunched over and larger looking than a regular humanoid, it has spikes on its back instead of its head. It's arms are nothing like the butcher, it has a lantern instead of the cleavers the butcher has. Also, a higher lvl butcher isn't going to warp into this, a butcher is basically animated armor.

There is also nothing Phoenix like about it, other than the arms are sorta similar, it has no wings, it has no beak (it's head is nothing like the Phoenix) again, spikes on its back.

It doesn't look like anything we've seen so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Fontaine
France
flag msg tools
mb
Seeing again that image and people 's speculation about what monster it might be, I got that idea that maybe the monsters have no definitive form, and only when in plain sight do they get their known form (what the miniature represents).
I think it looks like the phoenix a bit : sort of beak with a head inside (glowing eye), elongated fingers. It has no wings indeed, but maybe just because it still is hidden/ partly shadowed.

I like that idea of undefined monsters whilst in the shadows, revealing their true form only in lantern light.
But the most probable answer is that it is just generic artwork and it doesn't represent a particular monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
mbmbmbmbmb
azhagmorglum wrote:
I like that idea of undefined monsters whilst in the shadows, revealing their true form only in lantern light.

Shrodinger's nemesis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poeticallybored wrote:
azhagmorglum wrote:

Shrodinger's nemesis.

More like Schrödinger's inspiration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
azhagmorglum wrote:
Seeing again that image and people 's speculation about what monster it might be, I got that idea that maybe the monsters have no definitive form, and only when in plain sight do they get their known form (what the miniature represents).
I think it looks like the phoenix a bit : sort of beak with a head inside (glowing eye), elongated fingers. It has no wings indeed, but maybe just because it still is hidden/ partly shadowed.

But the most probable answer is that it is just generic artwork and it doesn't represent a particular monster.

Wouldn't the lantern it's holding reveal it's true form?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

There is also nothing Phoenix like about it, other than the arms are sorta similar, it has no wings, it has no beak (it's head is nothing like the Phoenix) again, spikes on its back.

If you look at the head in the illustration, it looks like the beak over the face with the white portion being the eye. There is definitely a similarity in the head.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
Teamski wrote:

If you look at the head in the illustration, it looks like the beak over the face with the white portion being the eye. There is definitely a similarity in the head.

-Ski

Not really, and the Phoenix has more than one set of eyes, and the head inside the beak has really long whiskers. The Phoenix also doesn't have teeth/tusks. The shadow just looks like it sorta has a big nose and its eyes are set low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we can hypothesize based on art direction?

Someone at some point commissioned this art. What might they have asked for?

"Give me some survivors in a nightmare landscape, put them in this particular armor, make sure there is a bit of this and a bit of that. Oh, and put in a (insert monster here) but make sure it doesn't look like that monster enough to tell that that's what it is..."

I believe if you were supposed to believe it was a Phoenix, Butcher, Baker, or Candlestick Maker it would be done that way. The fact that it is not clear what it is leads me to believe you aren't supposed to know what exactly it is... beyond a frightening thing that stalks your survivors nemesis-ly.

Just my two lanterns worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Young
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
For me it seems like it is drawn from the perspective of the survivors so its more what they imagine is out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartley
msg tools
The Watcher. It is a larva in the lantern hoard. Final 25 year boss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boehm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Teamski wrote:

Yeah, pretty tiresome, huh. A complete waste of time., right? shake

-Ski

I'm still going with my theory that it's a Wetnurse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Roberts
Australia
flag msg tools
The Lantern Horde is none of the crap examined so far.
|
None of you have made it to Finale Event "Watched" yet it is obvious.

The Lantern horde is the Cocoon in which The Watcher lives.

The watcher devours all knowledge and is the ultimate predator, all the other monsters avoid the Lantern Horde because they can detect the Watcher slumbering beneath it. NOT because f the massive amount of light.

When the Watcher starts to wake up - the Lanterns in the Lantern Horde start to go out i.e the Watcher is devouring the energies (soul-light or otherwise speculated) therein to reawaken before it bursts forth to destroy the idiot survivors that decided creating a settlement around it's cocoon was a great idea!

When the Watcher defeats the settlement, it consumes everyone and everything then travels for an eon before seeking a new place to hibernate and the cycle begins anew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Gilliam
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
I know this thread hasn't seen a post in a while and I know the watcher thing but personally I feel like the thing in the picture is "The Goblin"

Here is my reasoning. That is a miniature that, as far as i know, we have seen nothing on. The only thing I have heard about it was the small part in the screaming antelope's story bit. Just my personal opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.