Smash Up: Science Fiction Double Feature» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shapeshifters and "The Homeworld" Base rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brendan Williams
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
The Homeworld base's text says, "After each time a minion is played here, it's owner may play an extra minion of power 2 or less". The mimic's ability text says, "Ongoing: This minion's power is equal to the highest power printed on a minion card in play", and the power is printed on the card as "0".

Let's say there is a 5 powered minion in play (Pirate King, Zombie Lord, etc.) Can a player play a Mimic as an extra minion on the Homeworld base under that condition?

We ran into this very situation the other night. One player (the one with the Shapeshifter faction) claimed that he could play it there because the power printed on the card was zero, and that it's ability didn't take effect until after it was played. My position is that the 0 power printed on the mimic's card is irrelevant, and that as long as there are cards in play with power greater than 2 than that disqualifies the Mimic from being eligible to be played as an extra Minion on the Homeworld base. I'd really appreciate anyone else's take on this. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Galeziewski
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mimic is totally playable. the mimic is considered a 0 power minion until it is in play so if a minion of power two or less can be played it can be played since it is 0 power. It changes once it is already in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Springfield
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MadFuhrer wrote:
Mimic is totally playable. the mimic is considered a 0 power minion until it is in play so if a minion of power two or less can be played it can be played since it is 0 power. It changes once it is already in play.
This is correct. It is why I also like to play the Shapeshifters with the Killer Plants. Killer Plants can actually search the deck for minions of power 2 or less, and then get them into play. Since they also have three minions with a printed power of 5, it's a killer (no pun intended) combo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's legal to play it. This is similar to a question in an earlier thread a few years ago where the designer officially weighed in, if you need a source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Williams
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thanks M.B., that earlier thread with Todd Rowland's post is extremely helpful .

Guess I'm eating crow on this one, but it's great to have that mechanic cleared up. While I'm happy to play this way going forward, just for my own edification, can anyone quote anything from the rules themselves that supports the whole "power value in one's hand versus power value in play" concept? I searched desperately for something to that effect and came up short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Breandanthegreek wrote:
can anyone quote anything from the rules themselves that supports the whole "power value in one's hand versus power value in play" concept?

Yes:

Pretty Pretty Smash Up Rules Page 12 wrote:
The power of a minion not in play is only the number printed on it, but once in play its power includes all modifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Williams
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Perfect, thanks. I guess I'll call that the "Shrodinger's card" principle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.