Hide
4 Posts

FlowerFall» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A Stupidly Honest Review: #2 - FlowerFall rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Lein
msg tools
What is Happening Here? Are Flowers Falling From The Sky?

FlowerFall is definitely a "love it or hate it" kind of deal. The reviews online are average because they're equally positive and negative. Luckily for me, this game struck me in a good way. Definitely not strategic, but definitely unique. FlowerFall, especially with the right group, is a solid little game. Even though I should stop yammering and get to the review (pst...it's in the title), I'm not going to. On to the Basic Idea (groan)!

BASIC IDEA:
Players must form contiguous patches of flowers by dropping cards from eye level on to a playing surface. No combos, no playing cards at all. Just dropping.

SETUP:
All players get to choose from 7 decks of 12 cards (each with a different colored flower on it). Players throw anywhere from 2 to 4 starting cards out and play begins.

GAMEPLAY:
Players aim to connect the green parts of their cards to any green flowers in play. Whoever has the most flowers of their color connected to a certain patch of green flowers, score that many green flowers. Although confusing at first, players tend to catch on quick. After all players have dropped their cards, green flowers are scored and the game is over (all in about 5-10 minutes).

REVIEW:
FlowerFall is definitely a niche game. People who enjoy harmless and only slightly controlled fun will find this game to be a blast. And did I mention it can play up to 7 people? With the right crowd, this can become the favorite late night group game. On the other hand, people looking for any amount of strategy or a deep game will find this game pointless. Good thing I find it fun in that kind of streamlined fun kind of way. To me, this game took everything out of a game and left it's essence...fun. Because having fun with a group is my reason for gaming, I like this game.

Scoring:
Just a reminder to those who haven't read my one other review, here's how I score.
Bronze: 3rd rate - from bad to okay.
Silver: 2nd rate - from fair to good.
Gold: 1st rate - from great to excellent.
Diamond: A Top 10 game - one of my favorites.

FlowerFall: Silver

What's keeping it from Gold?
Well, the "love it or hate it" quality of FlowerFall makes it a great or terrible game. Even me, a lover of the game, can be dragged down by people who hate this game. You know when someone hates a game and just goes through the motions like a sub-par robot? Well, some people do that with this game and it crushes the group fun aspect of the game that drives it. It is definitely in the higher end of Silver to me, anyway.

Conclusion:
If you can play this with the right crowd, this game will flower into a classic (Get it? Okay I'll stop). But if you play it with those androids I was talking about, then this game will definitely drag. So, get this game if you can ensure your group will enjoy the "it's getting late and yet I'm still playing" aspect of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lein
msg tools
I've never played any other game by Chudyk. But if all his games involve unique ideas like this one, count me in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls