The Man
msg tools
Played a few times. Obviously Man of Wars are hard. But with Man of Wars coming out quickly, and 4 Naval Man of Wars and 1 Pirate, it boxed the Pirates in. Only one chose to be a Pirate, of 3 players, and he always lost, and got beat from the Naval ships

The Merchants got hit of course, but much less. Any suggestions for using these Extra events, for balance. Or were we unlucky?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlucky. There are 2 NPC Pirate Man-o-Wars in the deck, and 1 of each nation. You have to hit the exact 4 NPC Man-o-War cards, or the correct 2 while the other two go to War. I'm going to say this was a bad shuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Answer: Pepsi
badge
Me Grimlock?
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your more general question, if you were playing with only the new Event cards and nothing else from the expansion, it will make the game slightly more difficult for pirates because there's greater chance of naval NPCs appearing and the non-NPC cards have a bit more movement on them.

However, that's more than offset by all of the extra special weapons, the additional upgrades available, the option to take a Brig, Contraband, favors, Locations (Missionaries especially), and even loyalty once you have it boosted - all of which are helpful to Pirates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Minugh
Sweden
flag msg tools
I felt it a problem in the original when you'd draw only NPCs or no NPCs, so I started to balance the decks. Before the game starts, I put the pirate sloop+frigate, one frigate of each nation, and 6 non-NPC non-war cards in a small pile. I shuffle the rest of the cards, shuffle my small pile, and then I half-and-half combine/shuffle with the main pile. At least half the smaller pile is on top, and the bottom part of the smaller pile gets mixed with the general pile.

This way, you'll get a few NPCs quite quick, but Man-o-wars won't enter play until at least round 10, and your chances of only getting NPCs / no NPCs several turns in a row is greatly reduced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls