Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
richard dibello
United States
dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
1. Can an Infantry or Vehicular Unit move right past an adjacent Enemy Unit without stopping for ZOC consideration?

2. When an Infantry stack Close Assault's an AFV, does the Forward Firing Arc of the Vehicle limit the number of defense points available (because of the facing of the Hull MG) if Close Assault comes from the side or rear?

3. When an AFV is committing an Overrun Attack, can EVERY enemy unit with a clear LOS take an Opportunity Fire at the moving AFV to try to prevent the completion of the Overrun or just the unit being attacked?

Thanks again for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. There is no ZOC in VV.

2. A defending AFV or vehicle may only use APFP from machine guns. So no Firing arc considered (they are 360°).

3. Any eligible unit, including units in the target hex, may conduct an Opportunity Fire attack against an overrunning AFV as it enters any hex except the target hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lloyd
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a bit forward of me, but I'll climb on the limb anyway, and welcome you to this genre of wargaming. The short answer to your first question is yes. There are other factors which might suggest doing is a really bad idea, but you can do it.

The fundamental reason to be aware of is tactical wargames, unlike operational scale games, do not have zones of control. If you want to patrol an area (a ZOC is functionally a patrolled area) you simple have to send guys out to do it.

The answer to question 2 is, in the rules, technically no. That said, feel free to make a rule to account for close assaults against the flank of an armed vehicle. Just remember that when you make your own rules, use them only with the informed consent of your opponent.

Question 3 is yes. I would point out here that it is good gaming etiquette to announce all opportunity fire attacks before resolving the first one.

Have fun! Go get 'um!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard dibello
United States
dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks again, Joe.

1. What you said is what I thought the rules implied, I just needed a second opinion to quell the objections that my wife made when one of my tanks blew right past one of hers that had ALREADY used it's Opportunity Fire on another unit earlier in the Movement Phase!

2. So it's OK to combine it's Turret AND HULL MG vales to it's Defense calculation.

3. That sure makes an Overrun a REAL calculated risk when playing a scenario with opposing armor on overwatch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard dibello
United States
dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for the quick reply, Peter. Just goes to show how much I can over think a rule, and miss all of the fun that can be had!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.