12 Posts

Red7» Forums » Rules

Subject: What's the point of playing a card to your palette and lose? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nashiro Nitta
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rules don't mention that you must be winning after playing a card to your palette (even though it says that you must be winning after playing a card to the canvas)

So, I guess you can play a card to your palette even though you're not winning, but what's the point?

If there's no point of doing so, I think it's cleaner to just prohibit playing a card without winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas K
msg tools
You can play a 3 to draw a card. It could get you the card you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nashiro Nitta
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay, thanks.
But it looks like playing a 1 (in a game with action rule) without winning is illegal, according to this thread.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1327622/actions-playing-you...

I think that should be clarified in the rules (playing a 3 is legal and a 1 is not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It absolutely does not matter at all. If you are not winning the current condition by the end of your turn, you are eliminated anyway. Whatever cards that were in your palette are then ignored by players still in the round. So who cares if you add that card to your palette as it has zero impact on the rest of the round.

But just in case you were a bit confused, you ARE allowed to add a card to your palette and then a card to the canvas. And you must be winning the condition on the card you add to the canvas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
fiveminustwo wrote:
Okay, thanks.
But it looks like playing a 1 (in a game with action rule) without winning is illegal, according to this thread.

I think that should be clarified in the rules (playing a 3 is legal and a 1 is not).

The latest rules make this clearer, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Loiselle
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
angelkurisu wrote:
fiveminustwo wrote:
Okay, thanks.

The latest rules make this clearer, yes.

I'm actually still confused on this, even with version 1.2 rules. I think I get the 3 card exception, but it's covered in the first play option provided: playing a card to your Palette. Obviously, if you play a 3, draw a card, and still cannot be winning with that new card, you haven't violated the rules. Beyond playing that 3 hoping to win, however, I also still don't see a point in playing a card.

It's option 4 that I really don't get. "4. Do nothing, and lose. You might want to do this intentionally when playing Advanced Red7 to limit the number of points an opponent will score. If your hand is empty, you must do this."

Why would you do this intentionally? More importantly, HOW can you do this intentionally, while still adhering to the 4 stated possible options? None of the 4 options allow you to play into the Canvas and not be winning.
Even if you apply the two Advanced rules, they don't state that you can play into the canvas and not be winning; it just provides for the ability to play into the Canvas and get a card. But again, the rules say you can't play into the Canvas unless doing so causes you to win, and the Advanced rules do not contradict that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loias wrote:
It's option 4 that I really don't get. "4. Do nothing, and lose. You might want to do this intentionally when playing Advanced Red7 to limit the number of points an opponent will score. If your hand is empty, you must do this."

Why would you do this intentionally? More importantly, HOW can you do this intentionally, while still adhering to the 4 stated possible options? None of the 4 options allow you to play into the Canvas and not be winning.

Option 4 is to NOT play a card, and not be winning. There is no option to play a card and not be winning, but that's not what Option 4 says.

Option 4 (don't play a card, and lose) is available even when you have a card that you could play and which would cause you to be winning if you played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Say you know you're going to lose a hand, and the current rule is Red -- your opponent's win would only net them one card worth of points, instead of four or five for another rule. It's cutting your losses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Loiselle
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played some hands where it seems like I am going to lose, only to play my last card and stump the other player. I get philosophically why you might want to just lose thinking you can't win, and try to mitigate your opponents points, but in this game in particular it seems like that is rarely the best option because you can't know how close your opponent is to failure as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Loiselle
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, is the point of saying you might want to do option 4 specifically in Advanced Red7 only because in Advanced Red7 you play more than one round and score points? That may be my confusion; because the way it is written it makes me think that the rules in Advanced Red7 somehow allow for some situation where you don't play and still stay in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not frequent, but sometimes the right action is to fold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loias wrote:
So, is the point of saying you might want to do option 4 specifically in Advanced Red7 only because in Advanced Red7 you play more than one round and score points?

Yes. In the basic game, there's never any point in not playing and losing 100% of the time, when you could play a card and lose only 99% of the time. In the advanced game, it sometimes makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls