Subject: Changes in The Duke new reprint ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ewjimmy
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody! I want to get me a copy of The Duke plus some of the expansions ( it's beeing a hard call since the shipping costs to Spain seems to be terribly high every time I make an international purchase) and some doubts popped up to my mind when I saw some pics of the late reprint of the game, released on sept. 2014 I think; apart from the new black less appealing bags for tiles drawing, it seemed to me that the white and black tiles are much more easily told apart now because of bolder painting for the black army, almost gold colored. Is it really like so or no further changes were done to the new edition apart from the uglier bags? Although better painting would be an improvement, I don't know how it would fit when mixed with tiles from the expansions.

And does the outside of the reprint look any different from the old one? I'd like to be sure which version I'm ordering before I complete the purchase. Also I'm a bit concerned about some compleints I read about boxes with missing tiles and non responsive manufacter. Are those incomplete sets from the first or last reprint? I don't wanna kick myself in frustration when the parcel comes. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lakoda wrote:
CGL will made good BUT getting a hold of them is almost impossible.

They are impossible to contact and, in my experience, therefore do not make good on problems.

I'm still waiting for missing Longbowmen after repeated inquiries via multiple mediums including having a friend talk with them directly at a con.

Worst customer service in the industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I recently purchased the 2nd printing of the game and have been happy. The tiles are easy to tell apart and have no problem fitting with the original, I presume, expansion packs (at least with the Robin Hood pack which I also purchased). I absolutely hated the look of the bags when I opened the box but have come to peace with them. They are still UGLY but they work for their intended purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed my FLGS is carrying a "Viking" themed version of the game. I'm happy with my copy so I probably won't bother, but perhaps that's another option.

I just picked up a siege engine expansion that looks like it will be fun as well. I like that the tiles for this are bold Red.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jarl is a stand alone expansion to the Duke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ChromiumAgeCollector wrote:

Actually, I'd practically call it its own game, not an "expansion" to The Duke since, as you said, you don't need The Duke at all to play it. Catalyst calls it an "exciting new game."

While the rules and concept are pretty much the same as The Duke, there are some new abilities and the tiles are all new configurations too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
ChromiumAgeCollector wrote:

Actually, I'd practically call it its own game, not an "expansion" to The Duke since, as you said, you don't need The Duke at all to play it. Catalyst calls it an "exciting new game."

While the rules and concept are pretty much the same as The Duke, there are some new abilities and the tiles are all new configurations too.

It's fully compatible with the Duke... I see your point, but I still think stand alone expansion is the proper term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ewjimmy
Spain
Valencia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys for your insights. I finally got me a copy of The Duke reprint (black bags) and I've been lucky since it contains all the components as it should. So no problems apart from the poorly edited and full of mistakes rulebook. The current threads on rules clarification are being helpful and surely I'll look into the files section for updated PDF as well.

Thank you all and have fun!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.