Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall seeing this in the manual (probably need to re-read it entirely) but are there any stacking limits in hexes?

I'm also not clear as to whether a unit occupies a hex or a hex side? If a hex side, are there stacking limits there?

We played our first game last night & had a blast. The rulebook certainly could use an overhaul (i.e. needs to use much more explicit language when explaining things) and it certainly needs a better index. Every term that is relevant to the game should be found in the index & it should probably be alphabetized instead of broken down by category. Our last rule lookup was to try to find out how wind direction affected blazes, but "wind" was not a term found in the index and it should be there. Anyhow...this is getting off-topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean, units are oriented on hex sides and there is no stacking limit for either a hex side or a hex itself. However, when firing at a hex, you get to resolve a combat against every unit in the hex that you have line of sight to.

snorman wrote:
I don't recall seeing this in the manual (probably need to re-read it entirely) but are there any stacking limits in hexes?

I'm also not clear as to whether a unit occupies a hex or a hex side? If a hex side, are there stacking limits there?

We played our first game last night & had a blast. The rulebook certainly could use an overhaul (i.e. needs to use much more explicit language when explaining things) and it certainly needs a better index. Every term that is relevant to the game should be found in the index & it should probably be alphabetized instead of broken down by category. Our last rule lookup was to try to find out how wind direction affected blazes, but "wind" was not a term found in the index and it should be there. Anyhow...this is getting off-topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dirk!

In regards to this:
Quote:
when firing at a hex, you get to resolve a combat against every unit in the hex that you have line of sight to.

How does this differ from mortar fire, if anything? Does the mortar only provide:
1) longer range + the upshift
2) can use spotter, so can potentially get around certain LOS situations

We certainly played this rule incorrectly...we were resolving infantry/tank fire against single units in the hex even though there were situations where multiple units were found in the target hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mortar fire is the same as normal combat with the exception, as you point out, that the spotter can get around LOS to the mortar unit itself. The reason that the mortar attack does not impact all units in the hex - logically it would seem that it could even without LOS because it is an indirect fire weapon - is because they are 100 yard hexes. The mortar is trying to fire in a more specific and localized way, whereas normal combat the firing unit is taking advantage of grouped units within their line of sight.

snorman wrote:
Thanks Dirk!

In regards to this:
Quote:
when firing at a hex, you get to resolve a combat against every unit in the hex that you have line of sight to.

How does this differ from mortar fire, if anything? Does the mortar only provide:
1) longer range + the upshift
2) can use spotter, so can potentially get around certain LOS situations

We certainly played this rule incorrectly...we were resolving infantry/tank fire against single units in the hex even though there were situations where multiple units were found in the target hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dirk, I don't want to confuse the situation or come across as being argumentative, but just to highlight one of your comments:

Quote:
The reason that the mortar attack does not impact all units in the hex

We played scenario #1 last night which gives the Russians an 82-PM 41 Mortar. As per the card text:

Quote:
Targets all unix in the hex, ignore cover and rear armor of vehicles

So it seems like both a mortar attack (as per the card) and a regular unit attack (as per your comments above) targets all units in the hex...correct? I assume a new chit is drawn per unit?

I'm going to post another question up about mortar fire in a separate thread...

Thanks for answering our questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not argumentative at all; no worries!

What that text mean is that infantry does not benefit from cover if they are in terrain which provides it. We were trying to fit all of the instructions on the card and perhaps picked the wrong place to be economical with our word choice.

However, I do stand corrected: in the final rules we did have the mortar impact ALL units in hex regardless of LoS.

snorman wrote:
Thanks Dirk, I don't want to confuse the situation or come across as being argumentative, but just to highlight one of your comments:

Quote:
The reason that the mortar attack does not impact all units in the hex

We played scenario #1 last night which gives the Russians an 82-PM 41 Mortar. As per the card text:

Quote:
Targets all unix in the hex, ignore cover and rear armor of vehicles

So it seems like both a mortar attack (as per the card) and a regular unit attack (as per your comments above) targets all units in the hex...correct? I assume a new chit is drawn per unit?

I'm going to post another question up about mortar fire in a separate thread...

Thanks for answering our questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.