Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Daughter becoming savvy at Werewolf.. Be proud or concerned? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My nine year old loves playing One Night Ultimate Werewolf and she is getting better at being deceptive. Last night with 6 other adults she was a werewolf and told everyone she was the troublemaker and switched her werewolf teammate with another villager. She dead panned it perfectly. I was the minion and corroborated her story. Saying I was the seer. There was no real troublemaker to refute her story. Everyone bought the lie and voted him out!

surprise

It worked perfectly, but also watching my daughter lie so well was a bit scary. So should I be a proud papa seeing his daughter become a gamer, or should we take a break from the game...?

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McGuire
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just living life, including playing games with adults, is how she learns HOW to do all kinds of things, and lying is just one of many of those things. It is up to you to teach WHEN and WHY to use those skills.

Besides you don't want to confuse her by inviting her a fun activity and then punishing her by excluding her next time just because she was good at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell her what a great deceptive game player she is and 'nicely done'. On the other hand, remind her that this is a game and that real life situations would not appreciate the deception, unless she becomes:
1) a lawyer
2) any political job
3) a spy
4) tells her future children that 'it's something really tasty, not brussell sprouts'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
“It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game.”
badge
“Failure isn't bad if it doesn't attack the heart. Success is all right if it doesn't go to the head.”
mbmbmbmbmb
No concern unless you were hoping for a vampire... whistle

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
No concern unless you were hoping for a vampire... whistle

laugh

Whew... Good to hear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I stab your meeple in its face
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Help her develop her newfound love of deception. Introduce her to Diplomacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmb
I had a similar dilemma when my kids became far too good at Don't Mess with Cthulhu. You pretty much have to accept that you are teaching them a skill and trust that like any other skill you have already taught them to use it appropriately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CM Randall wrote:
It worked perfectly, but also watching my daughter lie so well was a bit scary. So should I be a proud papa seeing his daughter become a gamer, or should we take a break from the game...?
What could go wrong with training your daughter how to lie to you?

"Dad, of course, I was at Debbie's house last night."
"Boys? What boys?"
"I'd never do anything illegal like that."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
CM Randall wrote:

Thoughts?

I can certainly understand your concern, however, I think that the two are separate issues, really.

There are more than just a few children who are adept at lying to their parents, and most of them probably haven't been playing tons of Werewolf.

To me, blaming Werewolf for making your child a conniving liar is kind of like blaming the TV for making them violent... There's no conclusive evidence to support the claim, just lazy parents who let the TV babysit their kids all day long.

I'm assuming you're a good parent, who takes the time to teach your child right from wrong, and game behaviour from real world behaviour. Trust in that parenting, and be proud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LINCSANDWINKS wrote:
Tell her what a great deceptive game player she is and 'nicely done'. On the other hand, remind her that this is a game and that real life situations would not appreciate the deception, unless she becomes:
1) a lawyer
2) any political job
3) a spy
4) tells her future children that 'it's something really tasty, not brussell sprouts'.

5) a werewolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate the feedback and I agree..

The value you gain in spending quality time together i.e. gaming is priceless. She is a good kid but watching her perform that way gives me mixed emotions. Pride being the most prevalent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Reward her by getting Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game for her 10th birthday. robotrobot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
I'm assuming you're a good parent, who takes the time to teach your child right from wrong, and game behaviour from real world behaviour. Trust in that parenting, and be proud.

And if your daughter can get you to think that way, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
That was the perfect play from a werewolf, until the villagers catch on to that... Next time she needs to think of something else.

(She also learns how to detect lies and how something that seems one way may not be the truth, and that actions are what matter, not empty words and promises. All in all, very useful skills for the big bad world.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Hey, I'm pretty savvy at werewolf, and look how I turned out.

Now I know...

And to think I was stressed... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darci S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
My 10-yr old was terrible the first time she played Werewolf. She got better. We've been playing Sheriff of Nottingham and she is brilliant not only at feigning innocence but at making us think she's lying when she's not.

It's not the worst life skill to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CM Randall wrote:
My nine year old loves playing One Night Ultimate Werewolf and she is getting better at being deceptive. Last night with 6 other adults she was a werewolf and told everyone she was the troublemaker and switched her werewolf teammate with another villager. She dead panned it perfectly. I was the minion and corroborated her story. Saying I was the seer. There was no real troublemaker to refute her story. Everyone bought the lie and voted him out!

surprise

Thoughts?

I know how you feel. Our six-year-old likes playing, except when she's the Werewolf, because she doesn't like lying. However, the game is making her better at doing so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CM Randall wrote:

surprise

Thoughts?

Reminds me of a part in a sitcom...

Nikki is such a great liar! .... That's a good quality to have in a girlfriend right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Console yourself with the knowledge that while a good liar will beat her father at Werewolf, a great liar would let her father win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls