Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find a specific definition of this anywhere. How many pyramids do i need of each color and how many of each size?

Thanks,
Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Cranor
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
15 per color (5 each of large, medium, and small)
4 colors (original box was red, green, yellow, blue)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Erich. I have 4 of the Rainbow sets (5 colors). I think that leaves me 1 short in each of the colors for Homeworlds purposes. But i have the cool black ones!

I'll be picking up one more Rainbow set now -- thanks again.

Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look up "binary homeworlds". It is the 2 player variant that only uses 3 'trees' (large + medium + small 'mid) of the four colors. You already have all you need.

If you do pick up a 5th treehouse set, look into picking up the volcano caps too. It's a neat little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Thanks, Todd!

Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Dalton
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And you can always stop by Super Duper Games (http://superdupergames.org) to play some testing games before your next gaming night! We have lots of Homeworlds players there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Preacher wrote:
I have 4 of the Rainbow sets (5 colors).

Then you've got enough for up to 3 players. For a Homeworlds game of N players, you need N+1 nests per color (red, yellow, green, blue).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cerulean wrote:
Then you've got enough for up to 3 players. For a Homeworlds game of N players, you need N+1 nests per color (red, yellow, green, blue).

Unless they've changed the rules, that's not correct; Playing With Pyramids says you use a standard set (so, four of the single-stash tubes, or five of the Treehouse tubes) for 3-6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hartstein
United States
North Plainfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the introduction and success of Binary Homeworlds (which uses 3 nests of each color for a two-player game), the "standard" set-up has indeed been changed to what Ryan describes.

There's no reason you can't play by the rules printed in Playing With Pyramids, but the game with fewer pieces for a smaller number of players is tighter and generally considered to be more interesting.

(Homeworlds is convenient in that the number of Treehouse sets needed to play is one more than the number of players you want.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarcMagus wrote:
the "standard" set-up has indeed been changed to what Ryan describes.

OK, that's good to know. (Where do you see this, though? Neither the designer's "official rules" page nor Andy Looney's Homeworlds page say that.)

MarcMagus wrote:
the game with fewer pieces for a smaller number of players is tighter and generally considered to be more interesting.

Sure, but doesn't the N+1 rule increase the number of pieces per player in 5-6 player games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hartstein
United States
North Plainfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's mentioned in passing on Andy's Homeworlds page under Binary Homeworlds. http://www.wunderland.com/WTS/Andy/Games/ILoveHomeworlds.htm... for those playing along at home.

Andy says he recommends using 4/color when playing with 3 players. He doesn't say anything about 5+ players. It would probably be more appropriate to consider this an official variant which is in fairly common use. I don't know if there's any statement from John Cooper about it.

I have more resources and semi-official matter (rules reference cards) at home, I'll see if I can come up with a better reference. It may be that Sinister Homeworlds (of which Binary is a subset) officially uses the modified setup rules. Andy has also talked about Homeworlds a lot in the WWN over the last year or two; we may be going from something we saw there or heard him say and making too much out if it.

I'll see if I can find out more. This is in no way official.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Someone you Don't Know
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
kuhrusty wrote:
MarcMagus wrote:
the "standard" set-up has indeed been changed to what Ryan describes.

OK, that's good to know. (Where do you see this, though? Neither the designer's "official rules" page nor Andy Looney's Homeworlds page say that.)
[/q]
3HOUSE. >_>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.