BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Gateway games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Yarlett
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi me and my partner are new to modern day board games and is wondering which would people recommend between Pandemic or Forbidden Island ???
Many thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
My group enjoys Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert, more so the later...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played anything yet? If so, what did you think? Are there any particular settings (zombies, sci-fi, farming) that either appeal or put you off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden island is a lighter game that I'd play with kids more than adults. Pandemic is a heavier more interesting game... although not drastically so. My 10 year old son likes both. If I'm playing with gamers I'd much rather play Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Yarlett
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played Carcassonne and thought it was ok , apart from sci fi im easy regarding what ever subject , i do like the look of lords of the waterdeep
stone age
Mystery of the abbey
and Ticket to ride but i'm
basing this list on what little research i have done also .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill L
United States
North Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is a great gateway game. Stone Age and Lords of Waterdeep are both good introductions into worker placement - they might be a tiny bit deeper than "gateway", but not by much.

Pandemic and Forbidden Desert are both fantastic cooperative games. Forbidden Island is good too but it's a little too simple for me. Desert offers more of a challenge while still being very easy to grasp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my collection I'll suggest:

Almost anything from Days of Wonder. We like:
Ticket to Ride (Europe is our favorite map)
Five Tribes - a step up in rules from a straight gateway game, but lots of fun!
Memoir '44 - My favorite game hands down. If you like WWII subject and an easy war game, this is a fantastic start that will last with you as a go to or go back to game. Designed as 2-player too.

Rio Grande Games
Dominion is a great game that leads to buying expansions. Deck building that will lead you to other games like it... Dominion was one of the first, and still a favorite of ours.

Small games worth having:
Love Letters - but we actually like The Batman version. Original or Batman, it is a must have!

Bohnanza - card game about planting beans (Bohne). Not sold on farming? Too bad, fun times!

Hate to say it, but Fluxx (we like Star Fluxx) is a good first 'different' card game.

Finally from me... Mice and Mystics from Plaid Hat Games. Start with the original. A role playing game in a box with beautiful art and great mechanics. Although the rule book is written very well, the story book is wonderful!

That's my list.
M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Steadman
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played them both numerous times and I would go with Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Forbidden Island's successor Forbidden Desert. It's got just a little more to it, but still not too much for newer players. That's for coop. If you wanted a competitive game I think Ticket to Ride was a great suggestion above. Take a look at the different maps though, I think some are better for 2-player than others.

That said... Pandemic gets a lot of love, so I don't think you'd go wrong with it either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride were my two first "good" board games. I'm surprised to hear you say you just thought Carcassonne was OK because we have played that thing more than any other game except maybe Ticket to Ride and we never get bored of it.

Ticket to Ride is def a great option for you and gives you the ability to print off some user created maps to give you some replay value if you get bored of the original map at some point.

Now to your original question. I have owned both Forbidden Island and Pandemic. Forbidden Island is a great game and might be a good choice to have as your first co-op game. It can be super cheap, easy to learn, fun to play, and easy to re-sell. I have since sold Forbidden Island because once you play or own a little bit deeper of a co-op game there really is no reason to go back to the Island. Pandemic is a much more enjoyable game and probably the only game I actually enjoy losing. You also can upgrade it with add-ons down the road and adjust the difficulty multiple ways.

In the end, I would just go straight for Pandemic and get it over with.

Other co-op games we have and enjoy: Flash Point, Marvel Legendary, Hanabi and Dead of Winter.

Also, check out Splendor and Red7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willie Williams
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have not played any of these games before, and you are completely new to the hobby, then I would recommend picking up the game you can grab for the least amount of money. At their core, they are the same game.

For my tastes, Pandemic is the better game, but that is largely because it is bigger and has expansions available for when you start to tire of it. I find the theme of Pandemic more rewarding.

My wife, on the other hand, likes Forbidden Island better. It is a smaller game and that means being able to be played in more places. My wife prefers games that can be packed into her purse and brought to a coffee shop to play.

Forbidden Island is easier to learn and teach. If you are just getting into the hobby and are still looking to find friends to play, this might be a concern.

I hope this helps you make the decision that is best for you and your partner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Yarlett
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys thank you all for your help ! My next pay check is clearly not going to last too long by the looks of it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trebuchet trouper wrote:
Guys thank you all for your help ! My next pay check is clearly not going to last too long by the looks of it now.
Just try not to overdo it. If you have a game group, try to coordinate so that you get a wide coverage of games without much overlap. Otherwise, when that "honeymoon period" ends, you may get stuck with a bunch of games that were great at first, but no so much now anymore. You can always sell or trade them away, but that can be a hassle too. Giving them away is easy, and also satisfying too, but won't recoup costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the hobby and BGG !

Forbidden Island is the kids' version of Pandemic: lighter theme, slightly easier rules, more toy components - and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
If you are just playing with 2 players, I have to say that Forbidden Island will work better, unless one of you is okay with controlling a 2nd character in Pandemic. The world map is just too big for 2 players in Pandemic, so you won't be able to quickly respond to sudden emergencies like you naturally can with more players being spread out all over the board.
I have played and enjoyed it with just 2 players, but once you played it with 3 or 4, you really don't want to reduce the number of players back to 2 ever again.

E Either Pandemic or Forbidden Island are really excellent first choices, as they are cooperative games, so there is no pressure for newcomers learning the rules and understanding the game right away, as you are all sitting in the same boat, talking and discussing as a team what should be done.

ackmondual wrote:
Trebuchet trouper wrote:
Just try not to overdo it. If you have a game group, try to coordinate so that you get a wide coverage of games without much overlap. Otherwise, when that "honeymoon period" ends, you may get stuck with a bunch of games that were great at first, but no so much now anymore. You can always sell or trade them away, but that can be a hassle too. Giving them away is easy, and also satisfying too, but won't recoup costs.

Excellent advice. Pretty much all of us went through this phase, and it can be tough. Heh, some of us are still in this phase.

Anyway, if you have the chance to, try out any game that interests you before buying. Also do thorough research by reading/watching various reviews. If it still interests you, download the rulebook PDF file and read it completely. A lot of games will get a lower priority for you or even get completely filtered out by this process.

Also: always, always consider your partner's and gaming group's interests in gaming. It does not matter how much you love a game, if nobody else shares that passion and never wants to play it with you.

Which brings us to the last piece of advice I can offer, if you reach the point of declaring board games as a real new big hobby of yours: know thyself. As with your partner and friends, understand and identify what you like and dislike in certain games. Be aware that this can be a slow process which can require quite some time by testing all kinds of different games, genres and mechanisms.

One last recommendation I would like to add:

If it's just you and your partner and you two also like competitive games, definitely check out Jaipur. Small box, small price, small rulebook, very easy rules, beautiful components, completely language-independent and short playtime. I usually play heavier games, but I still very much like coming back to this one, as there is surprisingly much going on under its surface which you will only discover after a few games. I almost consider it to be a modern classic by now.

PS: I'm sure you already know this, but just in case: check out ►Tabletop for seeing more gateway games presented live in action and in an entertaining way.

Good luck, and have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Yarlett
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Top advise !!! cheers pal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel free to report back after you played some games and tell us how it went !

I'm always interested in the results of these recommendation threads, no matter if the result was a hit or (sadly) a miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Yarlett
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will for sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.