21 Posts

Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: And/or actions timming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Madog Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
What is the timming for "And/or" actions in Agricola?
In Caverna they can be done in any order is the same applicable in Agricola?
Example the Sow And/or Bake bread action. Can you bake bread then optionaly sow or must you sow first before the option to bake.
So are the options:
1 Sow only
2 Bake only
3 Sow then bake
4 Bake and then sow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Any order is OK.

Note that the Renovate THEN Improvement space is different - this is the only one that is timing-restrictive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Kristian Thorsen
Norway
Trondheim
sør Trøndelag
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my playgroup we have been playing with the first 3 options but im not sure if that is the official ruling on it?

Edit: seems like soneone have red up on it ^^ cool to know ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
In Agricola "And/or" is essentially a commutative descriptor; thus one can perform the specified actions in any order. This applies to "Sow &/or Bake," "Plow &/or Sow," and "Starting Player &/or Minor Improvement." As Ben notes above, both Renovation actions are mandatory before their secondary action becomes available.

Now, my question is: with rare exception due to some card effect in play, why would anyone ever want to perform the secondary action of an "And/or" space first?

I suspect the design and development team that put the game together were able to figure this out fairly early in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Any order is OK.

Note that the Renovate THEN Improvement space is different - this is the only one that is timing-restrictive.

Both Renovation spaces function this way.

/nitpicking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
ousgg wrote:
Any order is OK.

Both Renovation spaces function this way.

/nitpicking
So does the Family Growth then Minor Improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madog Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank for the quick responses.
Our group was only using options 1-3 which I questioned.
Just wanted to clarify.
Now there is the option to bake , pay food from the bake for a grain etc and then sow it as part of the "And/or" and perform the secondary action of an "And/or" space first.

Vineyard is a good example
http://play-agricola.com/Agricola/Images/ominorvineyard.jpg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Parker
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Most of the and-or spots will rarely matter, so either order is fine.
The after-then spaces matter alot.
You cant have 2 rooms in your house, take the family growth space and use the wooden hut extension card then make a baby. You have to have the 3rd room before you take that action.

Grocer is a good example. You have one grain. You take sow-bake and bake the grain for food. You can use the food to buy grain or veges from the grocer card and sow those. This is legal.

But can you bake a grain for 3 food in your cooking hearth, use the food to buy the grain from the grocer, and bake that grain as well? I would think you can. You can buy from the grocer at anytime, so even in the middle of your bake bread action. Or maybe once you are out of grain, your bake bread action comes to an end, and you cant do another bake bread action with that person??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
toddpark75 wrote:
...But can you bake a grain for 3 food in your cooking hearth, use the food to buy the grain from the grocer, and bake that grain as well? I would think you can. You can buy from the grocer at anytime, so even in the middle of your bake bread action. Or maybe once you are out of grain, your bake bread action comes to an end, and you cant do another bake bread action with that person??

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure this is a legitimate procedure. There's a thread on it around here somewhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madog Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Also found confirmation on play agricola.com
http://play-agricola.com/forums/index.php?topic=2561.0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
toddpark75 wrote:
...But can you bake a grain for 3 food in your cooking hearth, use the food to buy the grain from the grocer, and bake that grain as well? I would think you can. You can buy from the grocer at anytime, so even in the middle of your bake bread action. Or maybe once you are out of grain, your bake bread action comes to an end, and you cant do another bake bread action with that person??

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure this is a legitimate procedure. There's a thread on it around here somewhere...

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think this works because it basically turns it into two separate "bake bread" actions. You can definitely bake then buy then sow. But if you bake then buy then bake more, that sounds like two different bakes.

Likewise, suppose you have Architect (receive 2 food for each room you build) as well as the Grocer. Can I go: Build 1 Room, Receive 2 food, Buy a reed from the Grocer, then Build another room?

I kinda don't think you can do that, because I'm breaking my action into two different actions. That seems like two separate "build room" actions. I could be totally wrong about that though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember the last time I ever had the opportunity to do that, Matt, but I believe the scenario you present is perfectly legal as well. Hmm, we need someone like Hanno or Eugene to weigh in on this...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hamer
United States
Oakville
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
will583 wrote:
What is the timming for "And/or" actions in Agricola?

I can't be the only one who was wondering how tapping for one point of damage would be applicable in a game of Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:
I can't remember the last time I ever had the opportunity to do that, Matt, but I believe the scenario you present is perfectly legal as well. Hmm, we need someone like Hanno or Eugene to weigh in on this...

There's a couple threads in the playagricola.com forums about this, but no clear consensus:

http://play-agricola.com/forums/index.php?topic=3861.0
http://play-agricola.com/forums/index.php?topic=3808.0

The first one references a case where someone had builder's trowel and wanted to build a wood room, then renovate, then build a clay room as one action. It's basically the same issue as with the Grocer.

I think I may have been arguing the other side in one of those. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madog Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Looks like I opened a can of worms here.
I do like the remodeler+ trowel on the "build and /or stables" linked above.

Guess we can do without LIFO and stacked effects in Agricola; so a bake via a cooking hearth which allows multiple bakes could end up being quite a big combo before the sow bit. Wonder if there is an infinite combo out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
will583 wrote:
Wonder if there is an infinite combo out there?

Market Woman + Office appears to be one, unless there is some official nerf to it that I'm unaware of.

Came up in this thread the other day: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1417735/2-card-combo . There's a longer thread talking about it around here somewhere.

It doesn't result in infinite points, so it's not an automatic win, but it's infinite food. Throw in Carrot Cake Baker and Pumpkin Pie and then it's infinite points though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwitchBot wrote:
will583 wrote:

Market Woman + Office appears to be one, unless there is some official nerf to it that I'm unaware of.

Came up in this thread the other day: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1417735/2-card-combo . There's a longer thread talking about it around here somewhere.

It doesn't result in infinite points, so it's not an automatic win, but it's infinite food. Throw in Carrot Cake Baker and Pumpkin Pie and then it's infinite points though.

Disproved http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/20115335#20115335

I know there is a ridiculous pie combination out there somewhere however but I don't think t's infinite or relates to the OP issue, it just generates a massive amount of points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjwells wrote:
TwitchBot wrote:
will583 wrote:

It's not disproved, it's contradicted without a (valid) argument. (Although I could be wrong, it's been a while since I looked at this.)

AFAIK, the discussion hasn't progressed beyond this thread, which has an official (and, IMHO, unsatisfactory) ruling by Hanno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjwells wrote:

I know there is a ridiculous pie combination out there somewhere however but I don't think t's infinite or relates to the OP issue, it just generates a massive amount of points.

Hanno made an ad hoc "preliminary" ruling that exchanging/converting doesn't count as "receiving". And then never followed up on it. That was in 2013.

By that rule it wouldn't work, but it was never clear to me that it was official. And that would definitely constitute a rules change because we've always said that everything you get into your supply is "receiving". I'm pretty sure this would be the first example of something you get not triggering "receive" effects.

Edit: And yes, the Pumpkin Pie thing is an add on to this same combo. You would use Carrot Care Baker to give you a bake action by converting a vegi to food, and then make pie every time you bake. So because you have infinite vegis, you can get as many bake actions as you want, and because you have infinate grain and vegis you can get 3 bonus points every time you do so. But if Market Woman doesn't trigger off Office, then the whole thing is moot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sporre
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be prudent to have Market Woman limited to once per turn instead of changing when she is activated I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madog Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
With reference to the Market Woman. rather than one per turn could it be once per action and begining of turn ? This would allow for a begining of turn receive veg and use the "take one veg " action other actions where veg is recived to allow for another trigger. If there are cards that allow purchase/exchange of a veg then this should also allow a trigger once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.