BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Simple auction games. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I have For Sale as well as High Society. Are there any other good, simple auction games that are preferably also small?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios. Right up there with For Sale for me. Like For Sale, it has two phases that are different and well interrelated. It's only downside is that the theme isn't quite as fun as the games you listed. Definitely check it out. Secondly, if you haven't played Modern Art, you're missing out on one of the best auction games ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this may be a bit outside of your scope, but anyway:

If you want to add set collecting/pattern building to your driving auction mechanism, take a look at Pergamon.
The bidding track is really clever and the game is overall a great and very solid family game. It's relatively small and the theme has not been used that often in games (E archeology).
It's one of the very few games which also works extremely well with just two players, as the 3rd dummy player is very easy to handle and well-integrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Married Board-Gamers
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 to Biblios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Modern Art is all auction and it's fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not mini or small quick games, but any of the games that are part of the Reiner Auction Trilogy: Medici, Modern Art and Ra are recommended. These three games all play under an hour.

Also Amun-Re and Goa, more involved games (1.5 to 2 hours) in which auctions are a central part of the game design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Modern Art

Yes, it's out of print, but you can buy a Matagot version easily. I myself got a hold of the Scandinavian edition for $40 shipped. I prefer this edition as the art is actually artistic, and much better quality than the Mayfair ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Mann
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Modern Art
Loot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzen wrote:
+1 for Modern Art

Yes, it's out of print, but you can buy a Matagot version easily. I myself got a hold of the Scandinavian edition for $40 shipped. I prefer this edition as the art is actually artistic, and much better quality than the Mayfair ones.
Yes, it is ugly, but I think that's part of the joke. Also, nothing has any inherent value. You're buying ugly things only because other people want them which increases their value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fzzzt! is a light, quick and accessible auction game. I'd also look at Shipwrecked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
Felicity: The Cat in the Sack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:
Yes, it is ugly, but I think that's part of the joke. Also, nothing has any inherent value. You're buying ugly things only because other people want them which increases their value.

I understand the joke inherent in this game, in which you are paying arbitrary market prices for items with little use value (and questionable aesthetics), but I also enjoy playing games where I like looking at what I'm playing with. Given a choice between the Mayfair edition and the Nordic edition, I'd rather play with the prettier one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls