Antike» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Virre Linwendil Annergård
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
... and still sober
I found myself at my mothers for the holidays. I don't have many gamer friends, and even my non-gamer friends is of course not available. Some reading the net and looking for boardgame stores gets me to find a local boardgame meet at a store/local/Internet cafe place. So I find myself walking my old hometown of Stockholm to get their. Pondering what games will be played. I arrive first to the place, and becomes stuck in Yu-Gi-Oh playing kids (at one movement they hold me off as they where on all sides of me. I couldn't move a step due to TCG-kids...). I look through the boardgame shelves and ends up with Shakespeare – The Bard Game, Carcasconne – The Castle and Ticket to Ride for a late christmas gift for my nices.

But now I go to where the part of the cellar where the boardgames will be, passing through lot of other types of gamers to end, at the farest ends of the local. There I sit down and reads some of the Bard Game rules waiting for the other people to arrive, and that they do. One after one they pound in to end up with six people, and at that we looked for what could be played by six persons (and I of 'course can hardly remember their names. Memory is not the best thing I know) and we end up with Antike being the only choice where someone had read the rules, but still four of us had not much knowledge of the game.

The game begins - Antike

So we choice to play the western part of the map, and after some trouble draws our empires, I ended up with the Roman empire. So the game starts and most of us focus on building temples and getting marbles in the start. Geting to grips with both the, one coin per turn and the wheel takes a bit of time and is discussed. The first know-how that is produced becomes the market, and as we get to know the mechanics of the game play paces up and concentration is a bit downed by the simple thing of playing a new game. Still some does good, and many people soon have their sixth city and there first point. Army's starts moving and soon I (and that means Rome) is feeling a threat from Carthage, do we recognise this from history lections? So suddenly Carthage's colonies on the Iberian peninsula is feeling the threat from four armies and two temples holding it back from coming closer. Then the first battle of the game breaks out, the Romans attack from Valencia to hold of Carthage and make them afraid. This Roman emperor was to concentrated on this holding battle to have much concentration on what happened on the eastern part of the world, but did notice a big fleet at the east and the risk for battle. Then Rome builds it's third temple, and soon it's fourth and fifth. Then gold starts to arrive, even through what to spend it on is quite hard as most developments have already been done, but Rome is both the first Monarchy and the First Democracy of the board. Then the temples was gone and the Empires should start to sack the already build ones. Rome soon was sacked by the barbarian hordes from the forests to the north, and thus soon they had one the game.

A verdict of sort

This isn't a review but as this was my first play of the game, During the game I found myself going down and up on the verdict, but about a BGG 6 it feels for me. I wouldn't mind playing it but it's not the best one I played. And I certanly will not buy it myself.

(continued in Farlander post that will come soon...)
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.