fish face
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ask as thematically and because it is co-operative, this could be a good fit with my wife. However, realistically she won't be interested in building decks outside of the game so will it still work for us? Will it be fun for her to play if I have built her deck or does she really need to have a familiarity of it to play well, or can I just say 'hey, we lost badly last night, so I tweaked the decks, let's play'?

Thanks in advance.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marnix de Wit
Netherlands
Sliedrecht
flag msg tools
GamerDAD!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly what I do. It works perfectly. I do ask her what she would like thematically.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
Avatar
mbmbmb
Heck, that's the way I play SOLO and have a good time. By that I mean I use the wisdom generously imparted by geeks here and Beorn's Path to assemble decks for me and I devote my mind towards playing the scenarios. Granted, in doing this I am learning to deck build (being a complete noob).

I think it would work great. I would just recommend asking her if she'd like to take a minute or two to look over the cards so she can feel like she's "owning" the deck and understands the relative distributions and what she can expect to come in her card draws. That's as far as I'd take it.

Have fun!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has played probably 100 games without doing any deckbuilding beyond answering the question "What heroes do you want to play?"
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fish face
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent all! Sold!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While you can certain build all the player decks and have others pick one up and join you in the game, you really do end up being more prepared to face the challenges of the scenario if you know what is in your deck so you can plan and anticipate what cards you hope to draw and play against the encounters that come up. Considering how difficult the encounters can get, the more familiar you are with your deck, the more satisfying game you can have. So at least explain the player's deck strategy and let her thumb through the cards so she knows what she has to play with.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
My wife has played probably 100 games without doing any deckbuilding beyond answering the question "What heroes do you want to play?"

Same here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ErrorJustin wrote:
Teamjimby wrote:
My wife has played probably 100 games without doing any deckbuilding beyond answering the question "What heroes do you want to play?"

Same here.
well then of course, you also have to answer the question: 'why can i play with all the elves?'

i made my partner's deck, and she is totally fine with that. i am a bit more involved though. i give her suggestions and options, and she tells me what she'd like to play more.
she actually has probably the best deck out of our group haha, and she loves playing it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
flyingfish wrote:
I ask as thematically and because it is co-operative, this could be a good fit with my wife. However, realistically she won't be interested in building decks outside of the game so will it still work for us? Will it be fun for her to play if I have built her deck or does she really need to have a familiarity of it to play well, or can I just say 'hey, we lost badly last night, so I tweaked the decks, let's play'?

Thanks in advance.
This is how my wife and I have been playing it...and seems just fine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes indeed!
This is one of those games, where only one have to build decks. We have quite big gaming croup and two of us has actually made decks, and it works fine.
If you ask what kind of deck or characters the other players want to play, even better. Excellent game in that sense!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PXR5
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
Heck, that's the way I play SOLO and have a good time. By that I mean I use the wisdom generously imparted by geeks here and Beorn's Path to assemble decks for me and I devote my mind towards playing the scenarios. Granted, in doing this I am learning to deck build (being a complete noob).

Bro Jim has it down for me as well. I play the game and let the clever people devise the decks,... mostly. 8-)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls