Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the Police Officer's Goodwill ability states that he can prevent a death that just happened in his location. This makes it unclear whether he can prevent his own death or not, as he would sort of be considered dead when the ability activates.

Which way is it?

As a related question, in the case of a multi-death event, such as the Hospital Incident triggering with a single Intrigue, is the Police Officer able to use his ability in this situation to save one character from dying?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would say that he can't stop his own death, what with him being dead and all.

From your comment: "can prevent a death that just happened" - so he has to be alive to stop the death.

Regards the second one - I would guess (and that's all it is) that he can save one person, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Gray
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
I would follow the logic of this thread on BGG (Link to BGG). Thematically the PO is not a supernatural being and the wording of the ability is to prevent, not undo a murder. On this basis I would allow him to save himself as once his ability resolves it's like the death never happened, even though for game play reasons it must in order to notify Protagonists that they may use the ability.

Clarification from BakaFire would be good on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
Incris17 wrote:
I would follow the logic of this thread on BGG (Link to BGG). Thematically the PO is not a supernatural being and the wording of the ability is to prevent, not undo a murder. On this basis I would allow him to save himself as once his ability resolves it's like the death never happened, even though for game play reasons it must in order to notify Protagonists that they may use the ability.

Clarification from BakaFire would be good on this.

My read is also that he can target himself, but I'm thinking in terms of a stack - the "prevent" language suggests he is _interrupting_ the resolution of whatever effect caused the death, since it is hard to understand how you prevent something after the fact.

The hospital incident is an interesting case, too - can he use it only to save himself or can he save anyone? I'd probably play the latter (esp. if I were the mastermind), on the thematic assumption that he is sacrificing himself to save someone else.

But my general bias is to favor the protagonists when it comes to ability resolution, especially when it is a question of whether they get the benefit of "reacting" to an event. This seems to be true elsewhere - paranoia -1 applying after +1, goodwill abilities coming after mastermind abilities but before anything can happen as a result of said mastermind abilities, and protagonists playing cards after mastermind has indicated which characters/locations he/she is playing to.

The mastermind's advantage is in the information disparity, but they are decidedly disadvantaged in the actual "doing" of the deed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.