Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my recap of the recent best of 7 series between myself and SweetJustice in the Remy's Star Realms BGG Pan-Galactic League. It was an incredible series that came down to the wire, so Remy suggested that I share my recap in the general forum. Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers!

-------------------------------------------------

SemiFinal Match: HomerJr vs SweetJustice

Will update as we go...

Game 1
Player 1: HomerJr ($2,5)
Player 2: SweetJustice ($4,4)

It was a race for BW, which I lost quickly when SJ got it on turn 3 BW w/ freighter + 4 scouts. Lucky for me, the board was set up for a blob rush, so I grab as much attack as I can. Lucky for me again, his BW is bottom decked and I already have 25+ total attack in my deck. I get him down to 1 auth on turn 17, but he survives by fortuitously drawing his bases on his next draw. He probably would have killed me on his last hand if he had drawn his BW again, but instead he can't quite heal enough to survive my final hand. Crazy close game!
Homer Jr wins, final score 14 to -1 (turn 23)

Game 2
Player 1: SweetJustice ($3,4)
Player 2: HomerJr ($4,4)

It was an expensive opening trade row, and we split the only affordable cards (he gets cutter, i get missile bot, we both ignore corvette). He opens $3,4 so I feel like i'll get first crack at an expensive card, but I draw missile bot to nerf my first hand to $5 and draw $5s after that, but his cutter is bottom decked so he misses getting $6 as well. The Explorer War commences. He finally gets a Flagship and I take a Fleet HQ, picking it over a Mothership (which I hope to grab later using the Ram) because he doesn’t have much attack. The Fleet HQ is top decked on the next shuffle, so I hope it hangs around for a while. The score is 32-29 after Turn 16. Unfortunately, my lack of outposts and healing leads to me bleeding to death from his fleet of small ships/bases. The final score isn’t really that close. The Fleet HQ is ineffective yet again. (I should have known better...)
SweetJustice wins, final score 42 to -3 (turn 25)

Game 3
Player 1: HomerJr ($2,4)
Player 2: SweetJustice ($?,?)

This was a very close game where the trade row provided no obvious strategies. I slowly built a rainbow deck of ships while his deck was defined by outposts. I think the small variances of the shuffles and draws made the difference in this game, such as when his Recycling Center bottom decked going into the second shuffle and then when his Battle Blob got bottom decked going into the third shuffle just after having dropped me below 20 authority. Going into the end game, his outposts bought him an extra shuffle but in the end, I was able to amass a strong yellow attack with some late scrapping, my Flagship combed with my Cutter at the right time, and I drew just enough attack to win a close match that could have gone either way.
HomerJr wins, final score 5 to -3 (turn 31)

Game 4
Player 1: SweetJustice ($3,4)

Three big ships clog the opening trade row (Battle Blob, Dreadnaught, Flagship), so we are forced to split the affordable cards and go rainbow at the start. I’m happy to get the Freighter and a Space Station, while he gets a cheap card of each faction. I’m thrilled to get all 3 big ships on the second shuffle, while he grabs some more cheap blues and a defense center. He then adds a Battlecruiser, while I add a Royal Redoubt. The score is somehow 17-35 going into the final shuffle (I don’t know where my authority went), and I hope my big cards don’t get bottom decked. I nearly even the score with a big turn featuring the BB, but with 6 cards left in my deck, I am mortified to draw my hand and see that my dreadnaught is left to rot in my deck… with him at exactly 12 authority. His Battlecruiser is then well timed as it negates my Redoubt and he kills me on the next turn. Le sigh. Side note, I think his single scrapper (a Missile Bot), which he bought on the first turn and played 3 or 4 times, provided just critical efficiency to his small card deck to keep pace with my big card deck.
SweetJustice wins, final score 16 to -2 (turn 25)

Game 5
Player 1: SweetJustice ($2,4)

The opening trade row is mostly weak cards. As first player, he grabs a Missile Bot and immediately puts me in a quandary. I feel compelled to take the Trade Bot to keep him from getting two early scrappers, but which would leave him a Freighter. I hesitatingly take the Trade Bot and Trade Pod that pops up (passing up a Fed Shuttle leaving 1 trade unspent). I get a blob wheel on the next round, and another Fed Shuttle pops up (which I pass on again as I can't afford both). He draws $8 on turn 3 (Freighter plus 4 scouts yet again…) and cleans up the trade row, taking 2 Fed Shuttles and 2 Imperial Frigates. I get a second scrapper on turn 4 (a Missile Bot) but find that my Trade Pod and Trade Bot are bottom decked (this is likely the moment that doomed me). I get another Missile Bot and Battle Pod, saving the Wheel for a turn to take an Imperial Frigate and Royal Redoubt (over at Battle Blob) in order to break up his yellow attack (adding 2 Imperial Fighters and a Survey Ship shortly thereafter). He has a massive amount of trade at this point, and which I hope that my 3 scrappers can outpace. Interestingly, he scraps his two frigates to get the Battle Blob, then Central Office on his next turn. He has an 17-35 authority lead over me on turn 18, but I’m hoping my Royal Redoubt will survive for long enough to amass a yellow assault, as his Battle Blob is the only ship that can destroy it and with luck could be a couple turns away. Unfortunately for me, he puts together a monster turn on Turn 19, combining his Freighter and Central Office to top deck a Battle Mech, then combos his Battle Blob and Battle Pod for 22 total combat leaving me at just 1 authority. Having no outposts to defend myself with, he defeats me on his next turn. His trade pipeline was ultimately more efficient than my scrapping, leaving me wondering how things would have been different if I had taken the Freighter on Turn 2 and left him both scrappers.
SweetJustice wins, final score 33 to 0 (turn 21)

Game 6
Player 1: HomerJr ($3,4)
Player 2: SweetJustice ($5,3)

I go first, taking a Supply Bot. He gets a $5,3 open and opens with a War World. I take the Imperial Frigate to avoid him from combining it with his War World early (and also to get combat to destroy it). Yellow continues to make an appearance in the trade row, with a Recycling Center, Fleet HQ, Royal Redoubt, and Survey Ship popping up next. I grab the Survey Ship and have to decide between Recycling Station and Royal Redoubt. I take the Recycling Station, as he is unlikely to draw enough trade to buy the Royal Redoubt (though if he does, it could be fatal for me). A Dreadnaught pops up. He does get $6 on his turn but gets a Blob Carrier instead which surprises me as his only other blob is a Trade Pod. I draw a lucky $7 to get the Dreadnaught (which honestly makes me happier because I feared a lucky Blob Carrier combo). His WW is bottom decked, and I am able to destroy it the turn it comes out. His blob carrier misses the Trade Pod, though my Recycling Station and Supply Bot are bottom decked after the second shuffle. My Rec Station survives a 2nd turn but the Dreadnaught is then bottom decked. I avoid scrapping an Imperial Frigate to draw it, which would have bottom decked the rest of the hand as well (and taken too many good cards with it). The score is tied 28-28 on turn 16, then tied again 13-13 on turn 18 after we both play our best attackers on subsequent turns. Fortunately for me, his first hand after the fourth shuffle is all trade whereas I draw into lethal damage.
HomerJr wins, final score 7 to -2 (turn 21)

Game 7
Player 1: SweetJustice ($2,4)

We all knew it would come to this!
The opening trade row is 2 Blob Wheels, Flagship, Blob World, Machine Base. With $4,4, I take Explorers to avoid revealing a better card for him. He takes a Wheel on turn 3, but only flips a harmless Corvette. I take the 2nd wheel and reveal a Space Station. I get lucky and draw both my Wheel and Explorer on turn 4, which lets me choose between the Blob World and Machine Base; I grab the Blob World as I figure it’ll be a bigger difference maker this early in the game. He grabs the Space Station but leaves his Wheel out through the second shuffle, passing on scrapping it for the Flagship. My Blob World is top decked, and with 3 trade (after buying a Imperial Frigate) and 10 cards in my deck, I eschew the 5 combat and draw a single card to afford a Blob Destroyer and, I think more importantly, to get to 9 cards in my deck in order to bury 4 dead cards on the next shuffle. He uses the Wheel a turn later to get the Flagship as well as a Ram. Unfortunately, he destroys my Blob World on the first turn after the third shuffle, and then my Blob Destroyer, Imperial Frigate, and Recycling Center are all bottom decked which means I can’t destroy his Space Station before he upgrades it to a Machine Base. Luckily, his Wheel (having bought another) and Flagship are bottom decked as well. After what could be the final shuffle, my Blob World deals 10 damage before being destroyed (absorbing a crucial 7 damage), but I fall just short of lethal as my Blob Destroyer sits on the bottom of my deck. Knowing he has two fewer total combat in his deck (10 cards) than I have authority remaining, I scrap my Battle Station to destroy his Hive with confidence that I’ll just barely survive another turn to deal lethal.
HomerJr wins, final score 9 to -3 (turn 28)

FINAL RESULT: HomerJr 4, SweetJustice 3

Great games!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In game 5 I think you were right to take the scrapper at the start, but you should have also taken the Fed Shuttle. It's a weak card, but when it allies it's totally worth it. And early trade is very good. The trade boost and keeping it away from the Freighter are enough to take it anytime before the first shuffle... At least better than wasting trade anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
In game 5 I think you were right to take the scrapper at the start, but you should have also taken the Fed Shuttle. It's a weak card, but when it allies it's totally worth it. And early trade is very good. The trade boost and keeping it away from the Freighter are enough to take it anytime before the first shuffle... At least better than wasting trade anyway.

In hindsight, you're probably right. I didn't think I needed it because I had just upped my buying power with the Trade Pod and I consider Fed Shuttle to be the weakest card in the base game. I was remiss when the second Fed Shuttle popped up and I couldn't grab both, and it played right into his hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably right that it's the weakest, but it's strength comes from triggering the ally ability (4 authority is big), and triggering other ally abilities (blue tends to have the best ally abilities imo). With the Freighter up and almost sure to go to your opponent, I think it was worth hate-drafting it.

Also, before the first shuffle as pure trade I think it's always worth taking if the option to waste trade.

Oh - and congratulations on the win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls