Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
So somebody help me out here, what makes you think that this one, after all the fake scandals and attacks that went nowhere, this one is going to be the one true scandal that destroys the Clintons once and for all?

I think this is a good chance for insight into the nature of faith.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be a picture of the two Clintons doing blow off Donald Trump's ass cheeks. That will be the end of both of them, and the Donald.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only way I could be more outraged is if I knew what the fuck you were talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
The democrat party and media have always presented a solid front to protect the Clintons during the scandals

Yeah. There was hardly any media coverage of the Lewinsky scandal.

Hardly any at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
So somebody help me out here, what makes you think that this one, after all the fake scandals and attacks that went nowhere, this one is going to be the one true scandal that destroys the Clintons once and for all?

There's some sort of scandal about the Clinton's and their faith? Link of any sort?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc Mage wrote:
windsagio wrote:

There's some sort of scandal about the Clinton's and their faith? Link of any sort?

The faith is on the part of the spectators that apparently think 'This is the one", ie that this current email thing is the 'scandal' that's going to take Hillary down.

My question, in essence, is how this deal is going to be substantially different from any of the lord-knows-how-many attempts there have been over the last 20 years.

Pattern recognition says it'll have about the same impact as those other tries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linoleum blownaparte
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh. I opened this thread thinking Hillary Clinton might have finally said something newsworthy in either a positive or negative light.

Ya got me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
I'll make up my mind about this entire thing when, and if, charges are brought forward.

Until then, its just supposition and propaganda. And the reality that many of the GOP candidates would be incredibly awful Presidents, in terms of the three key issues that are important to me right now.

For the record, these are

1) Immigration: Providing a path to citizenship for aliens who are here illegally, doing something about the corruption endemic in the Border Patrol right now, and reforming the overall work visa process to better reflect US economic interests.

2). Iran: Basically, I support the principles outlined in the President's current Iran nuke deal, mostly because I realize that
a). the alternative to diplomacy is a path that will lead to war.
b). American foreign policy interests in the region require if not a detente, at least some form of working relation with Iran. Saudi Arabia is no longer part of the solution, they are part of the problem; and I don't see why the US shouldn't play the Saudi's regional aspirations against Iran's.

3). Economy/Abortion: Specifically, between the Greek deal making the Eurozone a bit unstable and the current crisis in China right now, this is not the time to for Congress to start talking about using spending ceilings for political issues, like closing the government unless Planned Parenthood is defunded. Sure, the bill failed this week, but many of the fiercest advocates for that strategy are running for President.

Frankly, Hilary is totally willing to saber rattle when it comes to Iran, so I'm not that enamored of her there. And I haven't really heard her talk that much about what, if anything, the US is going to do in the face China's currency devaluations. But she is better than the GOP alternatives on immigration and the economy. And I'm not sure I buy DDJ's argument that Trump is the least harmful of most of the GOP candidates (except possibly Rubio, who won't win the nomination anyway, probably.)

So yah, I'm going to wait until there are some actual charges brought forward on this. Shit, I hope this helps Bernie win the nomination, because I think that none of the GOP candidates who could probably beat him (Bush, Rubio, Kaisich) are going to get the nod, and Bernie, if he can beat Hilary, can beat the rest of the bozos in the GOP field. The only one who might give him pause is Walker... That would be an interesting fight.

But basically, I think most of the candidates who are mostly likely to win the nomination (Cruz, Trump, Walker) are so incredibly BAD in their own unique ways, I'd probably back Hilary (actually, just vote Gary Johnson, I mean, what the fuck) unless they threw the book at her for this (alleged) crime.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Linoleumblownaparte wrote:
Oh. I opened this thread thinking Hillary Clinton might have finally said something newsworthy in either a positive or negative light.

Ya got me!

I'm kind of dissapointed in myself that so many people were confused by my title, I thought it made sense ><
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linoleum blownaparte
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Darilian wrote:
I'll make up my mind about this entire thing when, and if, charges are brought forward.

I honestly think the issue is less "Did anything criminal happen?" and more "How can Hillary possibly not think that being the ungainsayable arbiter of which of her emails are released does not create the appearance of impropriety?"

That high-handed "how dare you think this looks bad" attitude, to me is already crossing a line even if there's NOTHING in ALL the emails.

It really boils down to either she doesn't understand accountability, or she thinks that accountability is for Other People. My money's on door #2.

This thing with the email server is not an incident. It's a symptom. If we elect her there will be lots lots more of the same. Standard practices continually flouted but it's ok because Hillary Knows Best and if that doesn't work We Dare You To Prove Anything Was Illegal. Reporters struggling for years with FOIAs to get basic info out of her administration while she cries partisan witch hunt over every little thing.

I don't want a Clinton Administration where real liberals are drawn into the futile energy-sucking quagmire of defending Clinton-style politics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if any of the GOP candidates will pass muster by the standards applied to Clinton.

I have faith in one thing, all politicians are corrupt liars, it's only a question of which one will fuck you up the less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:

Ya got me!

I'm kind of dissapointed in myself that so many people were confused by my title, I thought it made sense ><

If it makes you feel any better, we're all disappointed in you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
I have faith in one thing, all politicians are corrupt liars, it's only a question of which one will fuck you up the less.

I can't agree with this. This assumes government never works. I would like to think that most politicians got into the business to do good work, what happens once they get there, varies. Although the US system is set up for corruption, legal bribes called "campaign contributions" is a big part of the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:

Ya got me!

I've read the whole thing and I'm still not sure what the fuck you were getting at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

I can't agree with this. This assumes government never works. I would like to think that most politicians got into the business to do good work, what happens once they get there, varies. Although the US system is set up for corruption, legal bribes called "campaign contributions" is a big part of the problem.

Then you're a naive fool. All politicians are corrupt liars, and we have a system that not only rewards that behavior but requires it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Then you're a naive fool. All politicians are corrupt liars, and we have a system that not only rewards that behavior but requires it.

No faith in humanity? Then I guess I don't feel as bad about you calling me a liar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grady Smithey
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
The democrat party and media have always presented a solid front to protect the Clintons during the scandals

Yeah. There was hardly any media coverage of the Lewinsky scandal.

Hardly any at all.

Great example.

And it was all designed to protect him.

Anybody who thinks that either wasn't born yet when it was happening, wasn't paying attention, or has managed to convince themself of the exact opposite of what really happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
windsagio wrote:

Ya got me!

I've read the whole thing and I'm still not sure what the fuck you were getting at.

The second clarification was pretty good, but I'll go for a third to help our slower students.

For the last 23 years there's been a chain of Clinton "scandals" propped up at a rate primarily based on how prominent the Clinton family has been at the time - the more important the Clintons are at any given time, the faster the rate.

Right now, with her in the presidential race again, the cadence is absolutely nuts. The thing is, none of these stories seen to stick, except in this vague 'when there's smoke there must be fire' kind of way by the unreflecting.

The specific thread was triggered by Drew saying in essence "This time she's going to jail". He, and the usual suspects, seemed to certain that this 'scandal', unlike all of the tries in the past would work - despite the fact that there's a clear pattern of these stories going nowhere in the case of Hillary Clinton.

Made me think, "What makes you so sure that this is the one?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

No faith in humanity? Then I guess I don't feel as bad about you calling me a liar.

Dave thinks that by buying into a cynical narrative is different than buying into any other manufactured narrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
windsagio wrote:

Ya got me!

The second clarification was pretty good, but I'll go for a third to help our slower students.

For the last 23 years there's been a chain of Clinton "scandals" propped up at a rate primarily based on how prominent the Clinton family has been at the time - the more important the Clintons are at any given time, the faster the rate.

Right now, with her in the presidential race again, the cadence is absolutely nuts. The thing is, none of these stories seen to stick, except in this vague 'when there's smoke there must be fire' kind of way by the unreflecting.

The specific thread was triggered by Drew saying in essence "This time she's going to jail". He, and the usual suspects, seemed to certain that this 'scandal', unlike all of the tries in the past would work - despite the fact that there's a clear pattern of these stories going nowhere in the case of Hillary Clinton.

Made me think, "What makes you so sure that this is the one?"

Oh, I understand what the thread is about. I don't understand how you expected your title and OP to convey that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:

Oh, I understand what the thread is about. I don't understand how you expected your title and OP to convey that.

Trying to be too cute probably;

Also I wanted to make a direct comparison between the obsessive hatred of the Clintons and a religion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
linoleum blownaparte
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
none of these stories seen to stick

except in the sense that there continue to be newsworthy revelations months after the scandal was deemed a nothinburger?

I mean, if every month has you posting a thread about how the scandal isn't sticking, it's sticking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I seem to recall liberal outrage about a mere governor of Alaska using a private account to do a small amount of state business. The fake liberal outrage was much much worse than anything Hillary has been subject to....

This is just like what I was trying to explain to that Canadian guy.

If you remember it, find it and link it don't just passive-aggressively imply something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

It works because we (the voter) have some ability to punish the more blatant transgressions.

Bread and circuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:
djgutierrez77 wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

NO, no faith in politicians. They do not make up the bulk of humanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |