Stephen Dewhurst
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hello! My group of board-gaming friends adores SH:CD and we were sad when we ran out of cases. I tried to stretch the experience a little further by writing my own case and the session went much better than I expected - well enough that the case might provide an exciting evening for other groups, so I'm sharing it here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o1fd06xqja1e832/TheCommandeeredCor...

If you try it out please feel free to send feedback my way - I'm hoping to start another in the near future. Have fun!
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Combat Commander, Up Front, Breakout Normandy, Fields of Fire! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vera P.
United States
Friendswood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! Can't wait to try it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Watry
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
I'm going to try this one out as well as soon as I get some free time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
I've also downloaded this case, and will play it shortly. Keep up the good work. This is the future of this game, I'm afraid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing!
Hope to try this soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gennen wrote:
Hello! My group of board-gaming friends adores SH:CD and we were sad when we ran out of cases. I tried to stretch the experience a little further by writing my own case and the session went much better than I expected - well enough that the case might provide an exciting evening for other groups, so I'm sharing it here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o1fd06xqja1e832/TheCommandeeredCor...

If you try it out please feel free to send feedback my way - I'm hoping to start another in the near future. Have fun!

SOme remarks unrelated to the case contents.

It would be nice to have some spoiler spaces between Clues, Questions and Solution. Some kind of forced Page break.
It's hard to play without spoiling. Also editing the file to inset spoiler spaces is hard.

Also on title page could have some of the following informations:
- case date
- mention of game system ("compatible with SHCD and requires map adress book etc." )
- mention of licence - copyrighted, creative commons,other?
- case author

I'll sent some PM re: case content after finishing the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn Hommes
Netherlands
Dordrecht
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should I use the map and directory from the 1980s game or the more recent Ystari version to play your case? Would it even make a difference?
Do we need any of the already existing newspapers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dewhurst
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback! Rafal, I'll update with your suggestions when I get the chance.

Re: Ben - This is based off the Ystari map, although I don't know what the differences are, not having played the 1980s version. This case does not rely on any of the core game newspapers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Watson
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this case last night. It's very good, and feels just like one of the original game's cases, with lots of twists and turns. Three small quibbles that, if fixed, would make this one better than more than half of the cases from the main game (and that's solid praise, considering how much I've grown to love this game):

1) on the final page, you have misspelled the primary victim's name!

2)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
One of the questions at the end should have been "Who is Mrs. Irving's suitor?" I'm assuming, based on the newspaper & directory, that it was Johnny Happ. I think that question is perfect because it ties into the main case a lot better than the two questions related to the cats sidequest.

3)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the guy at the toy store tends to only leave clues for us if Moriarty is involved. It really threw us off when we found a toy soldier representing Valentine, and ended up answering the "who killed him" question with "some Moriarty henchman," having found nothing else to lead us down the path to his murderer. Again, I might be wrong about this, but it doesn't appear as though he's involved in this case in any way, so it might be better to leave that area with just a generic description about "nothing to see here" as is done in a few main game cases with no Moriarty involvement.

Overall, this was very well done, and I'd recommend that everyone check this one out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dewhurst
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks so much for the feedback! I've done a revision and uploaded a new version.

That's a fair critism about the cat stuff. All of that definitely falls into the realm of stuff I wrote specifically for my group because we have a whole thing about Wiggins that I wanted to sort of play up.

I thought I remembered a few cases where the toy drop was related to a few cases in the future, which is what I was trying to do here. But I think you're right and I was trying to be too fancy, so I removed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hulsebus
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the fun! We had a great time with this case and really thought it could have been contained along with all the others that came with the game. Well done!

I hope I can help some by adding in a few suggestions (spoilers are marked to be hidden):

1) add page numbers to the footer so if you get the pages out of order, you can get them back easily

2) Typos
-Intro: "Lestade"
-35 WC: "breath" when you mean breathe, "wondering" instead of wandering
-50 WC: "Wiggins interjects" and "says Wiggins" used when you only need one. Also you've written "shows up upstairs" when you mean "us"
-51 WC: "Irving's" should be "Irvings'" I believe. And "trying to calm her" should be him
-38 EC: "beings" should be "begins"
-52 WC: "pour" instead of "poor" and "envelop" instead of "envelope"
-77 SE: "seem contain"
-Solution: "rout" should be "route", "they're" should be "their", "envelop" should be "envelope"
Newspaper pg 2: "Benefitt"

In our case book of the Ystari edition, Squire and Sons is at 66WC. In your book it's at 66EC. I don't know if this is a typo in our book or what, but if we went looking for it, it's possible we may not have found it, since the casebook goes from 51 WC to 76 WC and Squire is listed in the casebook as being at 66EC

We tried to visit Bilbo Underhill to see if he was after the cats, but were sad to see he had no paragraph. We remember him from the old case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hulsebus
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also:
Regarding the toy store: there are other cases where he leaves things as clues? This definitely is nothing that we ever saw (yes, I realize that the revision removed this, but this is something that I wasn't aware of)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domitilla D'Amico
Italy
Ferentino (FR)
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gennen,
should I make graphics, layout and translation for your case?
Look in "files" section, I uploaded some.

D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning B
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
badge
The Penguin Always Knocks Twice - Walter Moers
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the case. I haven't played all the cases from the base game yet so I haven't played this one either. But I am looking to extend so I won't run out of cases

Before I printed the case I edited the Word document to my liking, maybe you are also interested in the changes I made.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ajd874dsfubae6/The%20Commandeered...
(You will still need the newspaper from the first post in this thread)

- corrected the typos Mike Hulsebus mentioned above
- moved the thing Mike Hulsebus mentioned in the first spoiler
- Changed the font to 'Bohemian Typewriter'
- Implemented a two column layout
- hightlighted the seperation between case and solution

There are Word docs (you will need the font), PDFs, US paper size, DIN A4 paper size and some options on margins:
loose: equal borders
simplex: wider border on the left, for one sided printing and binding
duplex: alternating wider borders on the left and on the right side, for double sided printing and binding

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.