Trent Ruby
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
So I have seen the hoopla about the Annihilation Wave. Not included. Used MODOKS etc. I am a big a fan of using Random everything, and in my use of using random everything we ended up with a scenario where we couldn't lose that I felt was unintended to happen.

Which was Zombie Green Goblin and doing Annihilation Wave. And our "substitute" for Annihilation Wave was Ghost Racers because we wanted to use just secret wars and the Thor Corps and MODOKS were already the regular henchman groups. ( Granted this was before we realized there was meant to be an Annihilation Wave group, previously we just assumed it to be a term and not something that had been replaced.)

Well the issue we ran into was that "Rise of the Living Dead" Brought the Ghost racers we killed next to the Mastermind out of the Victory pile onto the board and one got away. Meaning it could never come out of the escape pile for us to lose because there could never be 10 next to the mastermind after that.

Of course the easy solution is just to never use Ghost Racers in this scenario, but what other possible substitutes could mess a scheme up like this?

I was wondering if anyone had a similar issue before so i could try to avoid them. Also I wanted to share so people didn't have there game get stuck like ours did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachael
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't just using Ghost Racers that can make this happen. Play with Maximus. Use his uncommon card to have a henchmen from your victory pile (whatever one you're using for Annihilation Wave) enter the city to get the card draw then let it escape.

That's just the first thing I came up with since all the new Secret Wars content has been on my table thus in my head the most lately. I suspect there are other ways to get a henchmn into the city, thus meaning it isn't in a victory pile to be KOed, isn't in the KO pile to stack next to the M'mind, and isn't stacked next to the M'mind to trigger the "Evil wins" condition.

Whether that's breaking the scheme or smart playing to control for it is, I suspect, open to individual interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hogan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bratty wrote:
It isn't just using Ghost Racers that can make this happen. Play with Maximus. Use his uncommon card to have a henchmen from your victory pile (whatever one you're using for Annihilation Wave) enter the city to get the card draw then let it escape.

That's just the first thing I came up with since all the new Secret Wars content has been on my table thus in my head the most lately. I suspect there are other ways to get a henchmn into the city, thus meaning it isn't in a victory pile to be KOed, isn't in the KO pile to stack next to the M'mind, and isn't stacked next to the M'mind to trigger the "Evil wins" condition.

Whether that's breaking the scheme or smart playing to control for it is, I suspect, open to individual interpretation.

I did the same thing w/ Maximus today accidentally. Not too shabby. I say it's smart playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Ruby
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I would say honestly if it comes down to being a completely random selection of heroes/enemies. I would say:

A: Purposely avoid "Ghost Racers" or any other possibly conflicting henchman ( of villain group whichever) as it wouldn't make sense for a Mastermind to jeopardize his own scheme by including henchman who can, in theory, ruin it on their own. In my mind Zombie Green Goblin would purposefully avoid them, while other masterminds might not include Zombie Villains in their scheme to avoid this issue.

B: Villains do not choose what heroes they fight or their powers, that why its called an inconvenience. So in my mind I also agree that it is indeed smart playing. I feel if you purposefully pick Maximus for example, that that might be scheme breaking, but the again if I was Nick Fury I would pick him for "just that."

C: Just use MODOKS like the supposed people at gencon said to in their place.

D: Hope Annihilation wave is a real thing coming soon/Upperdeck lays down some and official ruling on this scheme.

E: House rule that the "Annihilation Wave Henchman" are any henchman in the game and that they cannot be moved out of victory pile in any way other than by the scheme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Scheme is pretty hard, yo. Tried three times to beat Zombie Green Goblin in a two-player game, and barely ever touched him.

Switched to Stryfe as a Mastermind, added another player, and finally beat it. It was close, though, as there were a lot of Twists out and the Hero deck was almost gone thanks to plenty of MODOK KOs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Ruby
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Were the MODOKS your "Annihilation Wave" or just a regular henchman group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Used them as the Wave. I have to guess if the substitution was really last minute, they didn't change the effect of the card.

It's great for thinning your deck, but if you happen to not have a discard pile at the time you need to take out four MODOKS to stay alive, you end up churning through the Hero Deck pretty quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trab
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking through this website for more info on the Annihilation Wave, now my copy of Secret Wars vol. 2 has finally also arrived.

Is there anything "official" the publisher (Upperdeck) or the designer (Devin Low) said about the annihilation wave henchmen?

Since there isn't an annihilation wave henchmen group in vol 2 either, is this something we will see in a future expansion? Or is it 'official' that it should be replaced by Modok for example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only way i could defeat the scheme was by using Maximus to place the henchmen in the city. Otherwise most random scenarios are pretty difficult

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls