Popular Tags: [View All]
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
I just today got enough time to go through the Garden Party manual (luckily I did back the project, of course ), and I have a number of nitpicky questions:

d10-1 Do cars start in the garage? That's kind of a stupid thing to ask, but the setup has no reference to them and, even though the quality of the image in the rules PDF is awful, they also don't seem to be placed in the garage in the setup image in page 2. (Perhaps it's mentioned in the player aid?)

d10-2 Some questions about me breaking into a car and revealing a bomb. Besides being mercilessly mocked by other players...

... d10-2d10-1 What happens to the bomb itself? Is it discarded? Removed from the game? Remains there? (I guess discarded)

... d10-2d10-2 I'm then moved to the Infirmary. This happens even if the Central Lock is engaged, right? (That seems like a pretty dramatic stunt to pull off to circumvent a lock-happy team).

... d10-2d10-3 Am I hurt (set to the side), thus needing to spend the turn in the Infirmary to heal myself if I want to, or do I keep my previous health status? I assume I keep my health status, so if I wasn't hurt to begin with I would start the next turn in the Infirmary and fully healed, but it seems a bit weird that a booby-trapped car is less detrimental to my health than a knuckle sandwich.

d10-3 Can the Gate be closed again after being opened? (I guess not from the manual)

d10-4 Assuming that the reply to d10-2d10-1 is 'discard' or 'remove from game', let's say that both cars have been blown up, and that I am in the possession of my own intel. Can I store it in the garage by using the Garage ability, thereby making it completely impossible for the other team to get a hold of it (since it can never be obtained, as there are no cars to break into)? (In that case, is there any kind of thematic justification? It seems kind of weird).

d10-5 I see that the last FAQ clarifies that it's not possible to "poach" people by starting at the Patio and moving to the Entrance (or viceversa). However, what happens if a player starts (say) in the Patio, discards a Contraband, and then another player wants to start in the Patio also? (This could happen also, and more easily in fact, in the base game). If no interaction happens, which seems reasonable, I would just word the exception as "Starting the game (in the Patio or in the Entrance) never triggers an interaction; the active player is always able to move out normally".

d10-6 Can I break into a car if the gate is closed and there's no item in the garage, just to consume my action? In the same vein, can I keep breaking into a car just to hang around the garage (thus obviating the need to move), not choosing to drive away even if able?

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
d10-1 Do cars start in the garage? That's kind of a stupid thing to ask, but the setup has no reference to them and, even though the quality of the image in the rules PDF is awful, they also don't seem to be placed in the garage in the setup image in page 2. (Perhaps it's mentioned in the player aid?)
Yup, we caught it as well. Hopefully the printed version will mention that yes the cars start in the garage, and add it to the setup image too.

Quote:
... d10-2d10-1 What happens to the bomb itself? Is it discarded? Removed from the game? Remains there? (I guess discarded)
Exploded bomb is discarded.

Quote:
... d10-2d10-2 I'm then moved to the Infirmary. This happens even if the Central Lock is engaged, right? (That seems like a pretty dramatic stunt to pull off to circumvent a lock-happy team).
Yes Just go with it.

Quote:
... d10-2d10-3 Am I hurt (set to the side), thus needing to spend the turn in the Infirmary to heal myself if I want to, or do I keep my previous health status? I assume I keep my health status, so if I wasn't hurt to begin with I would start the next turn in the Infirmary and fully healed, but it seems a bit weird that a booby-trapped car is less detrimental to my health than a knuckle sandwich.
The doctors already patched you up on the way to the infirmary. Your friendly knifer just cut you in a hallway. Your choice. You are not hurt.

Quote:
d10-3 Can the Gate be closed again after being opened? (I guess not from the manual)
most definitely NO.

Quote:
d10-4 Assuming that the reply to d10-2d10-1 is 'discard' or 'remove from game', let's say that both cars have been blown up, and that I am in the possession of my own intel. Can I store it in the garage by using the Garage ability, thereby making it completely impossible for the other team to get a hold of it (since it can never be obtained, as there are no cars to break into)? (In that case, is there any kind of thematic justification? It seems kind of weird).
No, it's not allowed to store a card in Garage if there are no cars left. I'll check whether that's in the rules, tomorrow.

Quote:
d10-5 I see that the last FAQ clarifies that it's not possible to "poach" people by starting at the Patio and moving to the Entrance (or viceversa). However, what happens if a player starts (say) in the Patio, discards a Contraband, and then another player wants to start in the Patio also? (This could happen also, and more easily in fact, in the base game). If no interaction happens, which seems reasonable, I would just word the exception as "Starting the game (in the Patio or in the Entrance) never triggers an interaction; the active player is always able to move out normally".
Yup.

Quote:
d10-6 Can I break into a car if the gate is closed and there's no item in the garage, just to consume my action? In the same vein, can I keep breaking into a car just to hang around the garage (thus obviating the need to move), not choosing to drive away even if able?
My instinct says no, you shouldn't be able to hang around, but the rule clearly allows it, and I'm sure as hell not making an exception for this ("You're allowed to do this instead of movement if...") If you really want to spend the remainder of your game staying in place, knock yourself out, I don't care

Thanks for the feedback, have some GG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. M. Lopez-Cepero "CP"
Spain
Seville
Andalucia
flag msg tools
EU-friendly Kickstarters rule!
badge
"The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world."
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for the quick answers!

TDaver wrote:
The doctors already patched you up on the way to the infirmary. Your friendly knifer just cut you in a hallway. Your choice. You are not hurt.

Thanks! I realized later that my suggestion was kind of dumb, as the rules prevent a player from healing himself if he starts the turn in the Infirmary.

Quote:
No, it's not allowed to store a card in Garage if there are no cars left. I'll check whether that's in the rules, tomorrow.

It's not. You could probably mention that players can't take an action in the Garage if there are no (un-destroyed) cars there. If you start the description in page 3 as "Garage: As long as there's at least one Car tile in the garage, a player...", then you can remove the corresponding condition from the "break into a car" bullet, so you come up even.

Quote:
My instinct says no, you shouldn't be able to hang around, but the rule clearly allows it, and I'm sure as hell not making an exception for this ("You're allowed to do this instead of movement if...") If you really want to spend the remainder of your game staying in place, knock yourself out, I don't care

Well, there's already an exception for the case of the garage, as being able to use the ability without moving is an exception. So you would just be changing an exception to another, more properly worded one.

The best language I can come up with is: "A player already in the Garage who intends to drive away can break into a car instead of moving". The "intends to drive away" bit means that the option can only be taken if it's actually possible for the player to leave - so there are only two possible outcomes: game end with the player leaving, or a booby-trapped car. This aligns it nicely with the exception in the helipad, in which the "not moving" exception can only be used to escape and end the game.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andvaranaut wrote:

It's not.
It is now in the version on my hard drive
Quote:
Well, there's already an exception for the case of the garage, as being able to use the ability without moving is an exception. So you would just be changing an exception to another, more properly worded one.

The best language I can come up with is: "A player already in the Garage who intends to drive away can break into a car instead of moving". The "intends to drive away" bit means that the option can only be taken if it's actually possible for the player to leave - so there are only two possible outcomes: game end with the player leaving, or a booby-trapped car. This aligns it nicely with the exception in the helipad, in which the "not moving" exception can only be used to escape and end the game.
I still think it's not enough of a problem to change wordings over this. I'll bring it up for discussion internally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls