Sara Grace
United States
Berkeley
Ca
flag msg tools
Gaaames!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
. Trinkets say "Flip 2 of your face-up Trinkets face-down." Just want to confirm that to activate this power you must have at least two face up Trinkets in front of you. (i.e. One Trinket alone cannot be activated.)

2. Playing Item Cards: Can you only play each item once per turn (Example turn: Potion for 0 actions + Trinket for 1 action + drawing a card for 1 action) or can you only play one item total per turn (One the Potion is played for 0 actions only 2 standard actions are allowed after)? No need to explain that you can only play each item type once per turn (so no using 3 potion card in one turn) we got that.

-- This isn't a rules question so much as an end strategy question. Our game eneded in the middle of the second week because my opponent was able to drain the deck of Item cards. I had 1 potion/2 trinkets/1 scepter & she had everything else. Now part of this certainly has to do with some lucky draws from her deck but it was a pretty disappointing way for the game to end. I feel like the point of the game is to jockey for control of the board but we had just barely started doing that (only had two influence checks before the game ended).

Has anyone else had this happen? Why is running out the Items deck a end game trigger? You can always just flip used cards over when the decks run out. Honestly, the way it is the game really didn't work. The game already has a lot of end conditions so I am strongly considering house ruling this one to avoid this ever happening again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, you have to have at least 2 face up Trinkets to be able to activate the Trinket ability.

2. In the 4th paragraph on page 7 (their not numbered though)under Player Turns, it says:

"Once per turn, the player also has the option of using the Ability of 1 of his Items. It costs no Action to use a Potion's ability, while it cost 1 Action to use a Trinket's or a Scepter's ability."

Yes, I've had that happen during a game and it certainly did seem to end prematurely. However, that was a learning game and seemed kind of a crappy way for an endgame trigger. That said, try using the other side of the locations and you will see that Items aren't drawn nearly as often, so there is more time for other stuff to go on in the game. Also, try using the alternate Day/Night cards as well. This certainly does add more to the game as well.

I will only ever play with the darker side locations and alternate Day/Night cards from now on. The Familiars and Adornments are nice too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls