Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing the Choke Point encounter and Desmond is adjacent to a spider with the web ability. he attempts to move out of his current space.

Can he?

Applicable Rule Text:

Web = "Each hero adjacent to this monster must suffer 1 stamina to move out of his current space; this is in addition to any other stamina suffered to move."

Desmond Rules:

Desmond...

...is treated like a hero.

...'s stats on his card do not include stamina.

...is immune to all conditions and automatically passes all attribute tests.

...has no [attributes] and is ignored for monster activation targeting such attributes.

Descent rule book, Page 13:

"When using skills or moving, a hero may only suffer fatigue up to an amount equal to his stamina. If any other game effect forces a hero to suffer fatigue in excess of his stamina, he instead suffers damage equal to the excess fatigue that would have been suffered."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you answered your own question. He's treated like a hero, but has no stamina, so when he suffers stamina, he suffers damage instead.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I think you answered your own question. He's treated like a hero, but has no stamina, so when he suffers stamina, he suffers damage instead.

-shnar

Thanks. I checked the FAQ and found the following:

"Q: If a hero is adjacent to a master cave spider and he has suffered fatigue equal to his Stamina, can he suffer a damage instead of a fatigue as payment for the spider's Web ability?
A: Yes, the hero would suffer 1 damage if he moves out of his current
space."

Phrased this way, it makes the stamina spend mandatory, not optional. (Optional stamina spending can't be done if you have maxed your fatigue.)

So, I agree. If it is a mandatory after-affect of the movement, he can do it but suffers damage. If it had been interpreted as "You MAY spend stamina to move" I don't think he could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls