Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Schramek
United States
Gridley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Got this little gem for Christmas and played last night. I understand it except I think I'm missing something.

You get a 3 cart for a 3 route. Then you get a 4 cart for a 4 route, right? Okay, then I have a 3 cart and I completed a 5 route. Do I get the 5 cart or the four? Is it sequencial(3-4-5 etc.) or does it just depend the size of the route(3 cart, 6 card route so I get a 6 cart).

Just for the record, we played it that you had to have a 3 cart to get a 4 cart. 4 cart to get a 5 cart and so on.

Which is the right way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
quatsch wrote:
Got this little gem for Christmas and played last night. I understand it except I think I'm missing something.

You get a 3 cart for a 3 route. Then you get a 4 cart for a 4 route, right? Okay, then I have a 3 cart and I completed a 5 route. Do I get the 5 cart or the four? Is it sequencial(3-4-5 etc.) or does it just depend the size of the route(3 cart, 6 card route so I get a 6 cart).

Just for the record, we played it that you had to have a 3 cart to get a 4 cart. 4 cart to get a 5 cart and so on.

Which is the right way?

You played it correctly. You cannot acquire a cart until you already have the cart of the next smaller size.

In your first example, if you have the 3 cart and you make a 5 route, you earn the 4 cart for this. This is still something you might do if the 5 route was helpful in terms of getting the houses you want down, but it does not get you the 5 cart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Schramek
United States
Gridley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the speedy response.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Or, more formally:

Where
L = the length of the scored route;
B = the applied cartwright bonus (0 if not used, 1 or 2 if used); and
C = the "value" (length) of the lowest valued carriage card not yet in the scoring player's possession,
the player does the following as the result of scoring:
(1) if L+B >= C, takes a carriage card of value C; and
(2) takes one of the long-route bonus tiles for a route of length L (or of the greatest available length <= L if none of length L are available).

(See: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1061335#1061335)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Schramek
United States
Gridley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh! This makes more sense. I knew breaking it down into a mathmatical formula would shed some light on it...shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.