Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, my dad and I just played 3 consecutive 2 player games, and I would say it worked pretty well! I probably won't get to play a full, 2000 person game for a while, but still, I think it's fun. I see from the poll numbers that most people don't recommend 2, but why not? It works about as well as something like Hanabi does for 2, and I really like Hanabi. This was fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miller4h9 wrote:
You know, my dad and I just played 3 consecutive 2 player games, and I would say it worked pretty well! I probably won't get to play a full, 2000 person game for a while, but still, I think it's fun. I see from the poll numbers that most people don't recommend 2, but why not? It works about as well as something like Hanabi does for 2, and I really like Hanabi. This was fun.

I agree completely! 2 player worked just fine for us. It's great with more as well (played with 8 just a few hours ago - fantastic), but I'd never turn down a game of this with just 2.

My guess is most voters simply haven't tried it and assume it doesn't work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
The only question about BGG's player count polls are whether or not theyre even worse than the "Weight" ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny M
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Just got our copy yesterday and have played 12 (!) 2 player games since (including two over breakfast this morning). It's great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I just got in 9 over the last 2 days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
Canada
Delta
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought this for my wife for Christmas and it is great two player. We played four games straight. It is more fun in a big group, but there are advantages to two player too. The enemy agents don't get covered as quickly leading to more difficult clue giving. Just remove ~3 enemy agent cards to up the difficulty, forcing you to give 2/3 clues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Ronconi
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is there some kind of walkthrough for a two player game, or a step by step explanation?

I played it last weekend for the first time with my girlfriend, but basically we played our very own version, as late in the morning we couldn't obviously figure out how it was working correctly.

We didn't exactly know how to deal with the agents, we didn't use the "grid" card nor the timer. So it was quite easy, but we enjoyed it both, but I'm mostly happy that my girlfriend played together with me, and she wants to play again, but with the correct rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demoncleaner wrote:
Is there some kind of walkthrough for a two player game, or a step by step explanation?

I played it last weekend for the first time with my girlfriend, but basically we played our very own version, as late in the morning we couldn't obviously figure out how it was working correctly.

We didn't exactly know how to deal with the agents, we didn't use the "grid" card nor the timer. So it was quite easy, but we enjoyed it both, but I'm mostly happy that my girlfriend played together with me, and she wants to play again, but with the correct rules.

The basic idea of the co-operative variant is that you play against a ghost team that always guesses exactly one of their words on their turn. So you play the game as normal, except, rather than the other team taking a turn, whichever of you is playing as spymaster simply chooses one of their cards to cover between each of your turns.

So:

1) Set up 25 word cards in a 5x5 square (as usual)
2) Whoever's Spymaster draws a grid card and sets it up so they can tell which words are which colour. You will be playing as the team with the flashes round the edge of the grid card (and 9 cards of your colour)
3) The Spymaster gives a word+number clue as usual, and the other player(s) guess word cards until they guess one that isn't your colour, have guessed one more than the stated number, or decide to stop guessing (again, as usual)
4) The Spymaster picks one of the enemy colour words to cover - where possible, one that would mess up a clue they want to give.
5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 until all the reds or all the blues are revealed, or until the assassin is chosen
6) If you didn't lose, count up how many enemy colour words were not revealed - that's your score, and you can look it up on the table in the rulebook. 4+ seems to be a reasonable target to aim for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Ronconi
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, thanks a lot, will try that next weekend. We completely played our own version, but like I said, was still fun, this might also be more challenging, which gives the extra spice of course, otherwise it could get boring thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
Canada
Delta
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demoncleaner wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Ronconi
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tried to watch that video last week, but honestly, Rahdo is way too irritating, got annoyed after 3 minutes and stopped watching.

Ok, I just watched it again now in fast forward, and I know how it works now. Just 2 questions.

1. Does everybody use the timer? I don't like games with limited time, so I guess you can perfectly play the game without the timer and take your time, since you're sitting home and having a nice glass of wine ;-)

2. What's the double agent for? Do you need it in a 2 player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
We don't use the timer.

Double Agent is so they could print one less card. The double agent flips one side for blue and the other for read team to be used by whichever team starts the game and has one extra card to guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Ronconi
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
toober wrote:
Double Agent is so they could print one less card. The double agent flips one side for blue and the other for read team to be used by whichever team starts the game and has one extra card to guess.
Ah ok, that's the purpose. Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls