Hide
11 Posts

Race! Formula 90» Forums » General

Subject: How to keep track of which drivers have not taken a turn yet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sharp Hawk
msg tools
When the leader has other cars in front of him, it can be hard to remember if those cars have had their turn yet or not.

For example, if the leader ends his turn behind the last place car, this car has not taken its turn yet (and will most likely take it last). But if the leader had instead lapped this car, the car would then immediately take its turn and possibly unlap itself. Both scenarios result in an unlapped car in front of the leader, but this car has only taken its turn in one of them.

What is the preferred way of keeping track of turns?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not normally noticed this to be a problem, but one method could be simply to orient the car after moving, so that instead of facing forwards it is turned through 90 degrees to face across the section (or 180 degrees so that it points backwards.

Just make sure that once the entire turn is complete you reorient them correctly before taking any pics otherwise your after action reports might look a bit silly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has not had a problem with this. The most likely way for a car to unlap is if it is a player. The players remember the drama of lapping another player and then unlapping.

We did have robots unlap when forced to make a lake brake, but again, this was memorable.

I do like John's suggestion that you rotate the car in front of the leader backwards to indicate that it had taken its turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't played much, but I too had robots unlapping themselves without late braking. Maybe I was doing something wrong?

For example, say the leader laps a slow robot and ends up just in front of the robot in the same section. The robot will have enough movement on its turn to at least pull in front of the leader and unlap itself. If the robot is on a trajectory, then it will have more than enough movement to unlap itself.

Anyhow, I turn my Blood Bowl figures sideways after moving them, so that's the first thing I thought of too. Turn the car sideways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robots will not unlap themselves under normal movement. They will stop behind the leader with unused movement points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Coren wrote:
Robots will not unlap themselves under normal movement. They will stop behind the leader with unused movement points.

Wow - I screwed up that rule! Thanks! I also screwed up the rule which says they wont defend themselves against cars trying to lap them ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. It helps not to think of robots as individual cars but rather a hive mind AI for interfering with the leader. They don't need to unlap themselves as there's another robot in the lead and they won't interfere with players who aren't in the lead. It's everyone versus the leader!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SharpHawk wrote:
When the leader has other cars in front of him, it can be hard to remember if those cars have had their turn yet or not.

For example, if the leader ends his turn behind the last place car, this car has not taken its turn yet (and will most likely take it last). But if the leader had instead lapped this car, the car would then immediately take its turn and possibly unlap itself. Both scenarios result in an unlapped car in front of the leader, but this car has only taken its turn in one of them.

What is the preferred way of keeping track of turns?
We just twist the car on the track to make sure we remember that the car has already moved.

Robots does not unlap itself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Hilinski
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:

It's not just against the leader. Lapped robots won't overtake any car that has lapped them -- including other robots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
shilinski wrote:
Coren wrote:

It's not just against the leader. Lapped robots won't overtake any car that has lapped them -- including other robots.

Yah, I totally F'd up these rules. Made staying in the lead very tricky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In an instance where a leader section will activate a backmarker to move - i will turn that back marker 180 degrees after I finish it's turn to remind myself that it's already moved in this round as I make my way around the track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls