Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Echeverria
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished the 4th scenario. Lots of fun, but we still have nagging rules questions that need clarification. Hoping that a FAQ is posted soon!

(1) How many face down item tokens are flipped per action? We assumed that a player could flip two per action, as the rules suggest that a cowboy can pick up up to two items per action.

(2) Where does a cowboy put hit point tokens found in buildings? Do they count as replacement/extra hit points, and if so do they go in the cowboy's two-space inventory or are they added to the hit point stack (and can a cowboy end up with more hit points than they started the game with)?

(3) If a cowboy uses his first action to enter a building and loses a duel (getting flicked out of the entrance), does that cowboy get a second action (to possibly try to go back in and duel again)? The rules state that a hit cowboy remains fallen and will stand up when "next activated."

(4) After the lawmen place the three stacks of items, are they shuffled or does the lawmen know where particular items are within the buildings?

(5) Can a cowboy fire at an object without trying to hit any opposing cowboys? In other words, can a cowboy shoot simply to move objects, such as cacti or barrels? Relatedly, in scenario 4, can the lawmen simply try to find the dynamite and throw dynamite into one of the buildings that the player knows contains gold? The rules state that all items are destroyed, so if this is permitted, the lawmen can win the game fairly easily (and unthematicly).

(6) Can the neutral cowboys be shot? We assumed no because they are "not played" and have no hit points. We also played that they can hold an unlimited number of items.

Thanks! And apologies if some of these questions are addressed elsewhere in the formums, I did look before posing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Alves
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) just one, a cowboy can only store up to 2 items.

2) no idea, I asked the same thing and I had no official answer for that.

3) yes, answered by pretzel games in another thread.

4) if you are talking about the scenario where they do that, yes, they know the order, but the outlaws can flip any item they wish.

5) I dont think a building can be destroyed, doesn't the rules only states a dynamite will hit everyone inside the building?

6) I think they will only get moved by the bullet, like other objects. I dont have the rules with me now, but I remember reading something about it in the scenario rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Worcester
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a lot of these same questions. Here is how we played it...

1. We played that the player flips over all 5 tiles with 1 action and can then take 2 tiles.

2. The hit point tile takes up 1 of the 2 spaces

3. Yes

4. We played that all the tiles in a building are revealed with the first interact action.

5. Yes, this strategy was actually used quite a bit to help position people near the neutral figure.

6. We played that it could be shot and moved but was immediately stood back up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Echeverria
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Nathan! Your rules interpretations make a lot of sense to me. On number 5, you played that the lawmen can destroy gold via dynamite (i.e., by throwing dynamite into a building which the lawmen know contains gold)? It makes sense that cowboys can shoot to move objects without aiming at an enemy cowboy, but shooting dynamite for an auto-win doesn't sound very fun. I think we'll play that lawmen can only throw dynamite into a building if it contains at least one outlaw.

Curious if any of these issues are addressed in the upcoming FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Worcester
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes we were playing that dynamite destroys all tokens, but never ran into the scenario of actually destroying gold this way. I think if you play this way then the outlaws just need to be mindful and not put themselves into a possible "instant lose" situation. If for instance the building has 3 gold and a dynamite, then the outlaw should take 1 gold and 1 dynamite for their first action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to play that you only flip over one token per action.

Rules on page 8 3rd paragraph under Take/drop off/exchange (must be inside building)

"If a cowboy wishes to take a facedown token, he flips it over, and may then choose to take it or leave it in place (faceup). His action is used, regardless of whether or not he keeps the token."

To me, that says that you must spend 1 action to flip over one token and you can take it or leave it faceup.

It still takes an action to pick up a face up token.

Dropping off a token leaves it faceup.

Not sure about the heart tokens really. I may look at them like medicine or a bandage or something and must be placed in one of the two spaces the cowboy can carry and that to use the heart token, they can only do so after losing one of their starting health tokens and then it would take an action to add the new heart token to their health token stack.

While dynamite destroys tokens in a building, I don't think I'll play that they get destroyed when a cowboy carrying them gets injured with dynamite. I mean, they don't lose their original gun and only take 1 wound, so I don't look at it any different than them getting shot for 1 wound. The dynamite is basically just an area of effect attack that can deal damage to more than 1 cowboy, as well as getting rid of objects that may be used as cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Worcester
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To contradict this, the very first sentence of the take/drop off section says: "Each cowboy may use an action to take or drop off tokens (weapons, dynamite, documents, etc.)."

The pluralized use of "tokens" to be sounds like you can take multiple tokens with the action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just see that as either a translation thing or them just using plural because of the listing of the different types of tokens.

I will go with the singular way unless there's official word otherwise. With the rules being a little loose here and there, people can rule things that suit them best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Worcester
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be curious to know whether the outlaws have ever won playing this way. We tried twice using the "reveal 1/take 1 per action" and the outlaws were no where close to winning both times. We reread the rules and interpreted it as reveal all 5/choose 2 and the outlaws came much closer to winning this way.

I think that scenario starts at 6 so that gives you 12 possible actions: the outlaw would likely be in a building with tokens in round 2, uses both actions to draw 2 tokens in round 3 (which may not even be gold). Leaves the buildings in round 4. Positions himself to drop off the tokens in round 5/6. It just seems like the cards are really stacked against the outlaws in this one, and you have no room for error in movement and in selecting the right tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hansel
United States
Spencer
IA
flag msg tools
mb
I'm a little confused by this scenario as well. Many on this forum have mentioned that you can pick up two items for one action and that you can look at all 5 items from a building.

Where in the rules does it say you can pick up two items for one action? From what I have been reading, it takes one action to pick up an item. If you wanted to pick up two, you would have to take two actions.

Also, it is pretty clear that you may pick up a facedown item but once it is revealed, the player that looked at it can either take it or leave it face up with the other items. This is also in the rulebook.

It doesn't make sense for the team of cowboys to be able to decide where to place their tokens face down while having the other team look at all 5 items and being able to pick 2.

An official FAQ would be nice for this game. I love it, but it seems like the rules and explanations were overlooked. They knew they had a great theme and a great idea but stopped there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Worcester
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophus wrote:
Where in the rules does it say you can pick up two items for one action? From what I have been reading, it takes one action to pick up an item. If you wanted to pick up two, you would have to take two actions.

This was derived from the fact that the take/drop off section indicates you can pick up tokens (plural) with 1 action. That compounded with the fact that each character only has 2 inventory slots, led me to believe that you can get 2 tokens with 1 action.

I am not quite sure how we interpreted to reveal all 5 tokens at once. Now that I think about it, it is likely wrong. I imagine you reveal 2 tokens with 1 action, if you do not want them, you would place them back face up ad then reveal 2 more with your second action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
regarding the hit token found in a stack:

wouldn't it be thematic to treat it as a medipack that you can discard anytime on the activation and recover 1 hp?

this would prevent to go higher than 3 and also you can't use it as an "additional wound"

you can use it to recover only when you activate THAT cowboy without spending an action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls