Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately I've been trying to figure out which games to keep and which games to get rid of. I only have enough space for about 50-60 games, minus small games. So I've been trying to play games in my collection that I either haven't played or haven't played in a while, to find out if they're something I want to keep or get rid of.

Here's all the games currently in my collection that fall into that criteria:

(Relic Expedition, Plunder, Wits & Wagers, Sitting Ducks Gallery, Balderdash, Say Anything, Eminent Domain: Microcosm, Tontine, Virgin Seas, BANG!: The Walking Dead, Grimoire, Card City, Timeline: Diversity, Smash Up)

So I guess to make a discussion out of this, of the games above, which ones do you like or dislike?

Also, which games do you own, but haven't played yet, or haven't played in a while that you'd like to play again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am doing a weight loss challenge for mine.
Bruxelles 1893
Keyflower
Fields of Arle
Five Tribes
Alhambra
Castles of Burgundy

I did not like Smash Up but our family plays a lot of Wits & Wagers! That's a keeper for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own any of those games. However, if you have games in your collection you don't play or never will, cull them out for trade, sale or to the local salvation army shop. I mean, really, why keep them on the shelf gathering dust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say Anything is very okay. Wits and Wages is worth keeping. I pretty much don't care about anything else although I have minor soft spot for anything Eminent Domain related even though I have no real desire for that one game. Oh, Smash Up felt rather under play tested. Some combos can be great, others, well, the Tabletop episode covered my play of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola

I know, throw things at me at thump your chests, I own it (gifted) and I just have never played it.

Wits & Wagers is my go to sort of party game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TommyP wrote:
Agricola

I know, throw things at me at thump your chests, I own it (gifted) and I just have never played it.
I've never played it either, so I won't throw anything at you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Balderdash may not be a fantastic competitive game, but it is hands down one of the most hilarious experiences I've ever been a part of. Although, I'd probably get rid of that version and pick up a copy of Beyond Balderdash, which has dates, people, movie titles, and abbreviations to the mix, so it's just not making up word definitions all the time.

Pete (will not part with his Beyond Balderdash)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimoire I played once, a long time ago, and thought it was ok. I probably wouldn't keep it.

I think Timeline has no replayability so I wouldn't keep that, either, but I am in the minority on that one.

You probably don't need to keep Eminent Domain either, since you aren't playing it.

Smash Up is one of those that everyone has, but few actually like. There are probably better games out there in the genre of card combos.

Wits and Wagers is a good one to keep. I didn't know about Balderdash, thanks Pete! Will look into that one myself. Having some good party games in a collection is a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Bonilla
United States
Winneconne
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimoire is my favorite game of OP's bunch. In fact it's one of my fave small games ever.

I have a lot of games I haven't played yet AND a lot of games I haven't played in awhile. But I comfort myself in knowing most weeks I play a lot of DIFFERENT games I own. This past week I was 11 different titles and I know this week I'm shooting for at least 3 titles I have never played or haven't played in a very long time.

I'm getting to the point where I want to cull my collection as well but so far, except for Dream Heist, all the games I wanna ditch are tiny and would take up like...a shoebox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
Grimoire I played once, a long time ago, and thought it was ok. I probably wouldn't keep it.

I think Timeline has no replayability so I wouldn't keep that, either, but I am in the minority on that one.

You probably don't need to keep Eminent Domain either, since you aren't playing it.
It's Eminent Domain: Microcosm. I just got it and haven't had a chance to play it. I love regular Eminent Domain.

Quote:
Smash Up is one of those that everyone has, but few actually like. There are probably better games out there in the genre of card combos.
I've played it before a while back, but I need to play again to really see how I feel about it. I think I do like it, though.

Quote:
Wits and Wagers is a good one to keep. I didn't know about Balderdash, thanks Pete! Will look into that one myself. Having some good party games in a collection is a good idea.
Yeah, I've heard of Beyond Balderdash, I'll definitely look into it more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've played any of those games (I might have played Balderdash at some point but not certain). The only game I own that I have never played is Race for the Galaxy: Rebel vs Imperium which I don't intend to play until we have 6 players who want to play RFTG (otherwise my wife & I will have played it lots and the rest of the people we play RFTG with will be at a bit of a disadvantage). I have a few of games I haven't logged a play of but I have played them all (two of these are kids games).

Discworld: Ankh-Morpork and Backgammon are the two games I can think of that I haven't played in a while but would like to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Carroll
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can 100% echo Pete's comments on Balderdash... I also have the Beyond Balderdash version as well, this game will never ever leave my collection, it has created legendary moments for me that I still talk about with the people that were there decades later.

I only have experience with a few more here... Say Anything I thought for sure would give us lots of Balderdash type moments but instead has turned out to be the worst AP prone game I have ever experienced especially for my family... there's no strategy here so this shouldn't be happening and yet we just can't ever decide, people go and get other stuff done while one person is still trying to come up with something to write or another is deciding which answer to go with, it's horrible! Wits & Wagers on the other hand almost plays the same as Say Anything but you just have to write down a number so it's so much smoother and faster, no one gets stuck. Timeline and Grimoire make me feel like when I was a kid and would play school, not sure if that makes sense, but I feel like I'm playing pretend that I'm playing a game more than actually playing a game, like I'm going through the motions and it's all in the stuff and presentation but there's no real substance there for me. Is Bang! the walking dead just like the regular dice game? The dice game version is definitely a big hit here and gets a lot of play just because it is so easy and quick and simple anyone can jump right in and it's not a major investment to just get out before dinner or heading out somewhere or when someone's over that doesn't really want to learn a game but wants to play something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santa Tom Pellitieri
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eminent Domain: Microcosm is a great quick two-player game if you like Eminent Domain. My wife will often just pop it in her purse and we play a quick game while waiting for our food at the restaurant.

We also enjoy Sitting Ducks Gallery, but that's mostly because we have running Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck commentary: "Shoot him now! Shoot him now!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, it's worse than I thought! I NEVER used to have any in this category. Now I have

Lagoon: Land of Druids

and

New Dawn

Both were kicksters that seemed to fizzle after they shipped.

Forgot about Viceroy and Star Wars: Imperial Assault!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The games you list I'm mostly unfamiliar with or don't particularly grab me, so I can't say "play this first!"

I can relate to being behind on game play though. I created a geeklist of the games I really want to get played soon to help me focus on getting them all played instead of either getting distracted by every new shiny or falling into a rut. The "I really need to play this, stat" geeklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls