Robert Searing
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Get cool game inserts at www.inserthere.me
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my highlights at Gen Con is always stopping by the HABA booth. It never fails that I always wind up purchasing a few items every year. This year was no different, having purchased Pharaoh's Gulo Gulo.

So, I never played the original and just want to ensure I have a few rules issues correct:

1) Do you just need the 2 scarabs to enter the chamber to open it the first time, of EVERY time you go in you need 2 scarabs?

2) So, this seems really anti-climatic, assuming I have this rule correct. Since each turn you can pick to go to any tile that's already been uncovered, let's say the very last tile, in the chamber, is blue and the person that opened the chamber first fails to pull the ball - the staff falls. Well, it gets reset. Assuming a blue ball is placed on top in the randomness of the bag - wouldn't all the next player needs to do is go attempt the blue ball pull and he/she wins immedicately? (assuming they get it? It just seems like you spend all this time to get there - and then by luck of first person failing, the next person is surely going to win. I have to be getting this rule wrong somehow.

(NOTE: I just read the description in the BGG entry - and it appears that, in order to win, you must complete both boulder grabs - not just the last - but that still seems fairly easy if the bowl is reset...isn't it?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules aren't very clear, but after playing and re-reading carefully, you do not move to the last space. You choose a space (color) and then successfully take out a ball, then you move to the next space that matches your color, not necessarily to the space you choose. We had the same issue as you did our face play, but this makes it more challenging.

As to your needed two scarabs. I think you do need them, but don't give them up when you fail. So as long as you avoid the mummy you should be alright. (I am not 100% sure about this part)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Searing
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, first, thank you for taking the time to clarify. Not much going on in this forum.

I'm still a little unclear...but I'm a slow learner. Let's say that all the tiles are cleared through a couple spaces into the pyramid and it's now your turn. You previously failed before getting into the pyramid, so you're on space 1. If I understand you correctly, say the last space uncovered is blue. You can choose blue to go to, but you won't go all the way to the last space, you'll go to the first blue space on the board. But - if I understand correctly, your turn ends. You can then choose another color to try for and get to that next space....

Is that pretty much it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Searing
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add, what's confusing me (I now have the rules in front of me) is that, under Phase 1 - explore the tomb, it says you have to do one of two things:

1) Turn over a new desert or pyramid marker: Turn over the next marker. Now you must try to remove a boulder of the same color from the mummy trap.

(MY COMMENT: This is a little misleading, because if you failed and are starting on space 1 - this rule sorta alludes that you can choose to turn over the next tile - which could be many spaces down the path)

2) Chose one of the colors of any of the desert or pyramid markers that you already have flipped over on the game board and remove a boulder in the selected color from teh mummy trap.

(MY COMMENT: This is confusing because it says '....one of the colors of *any* of the desert or pyramid markers that you have already flipped' - so what if there are two blues that have been flipped. One immediately in front of me, and one 3 or 4 more spaces toward the pyramid. The way this rule is written, I can chose the color of any tile....so I pick the tile further down the path....I guess what the rules "aren't" saying is that, sure, you can pick that color, but then you MUST MOVE TO THE NEXT TILE OF THAT COLOR - which isn't necessarily the one you were intending to go to???

This is a simple game - but these rules are VERY VERY confusing to me. I think their focus is early on in the game when only a few tiles have been flipped and they're not thinking forward towards mid to late game when multiple colors have been flipped.....at least I think that's where the confusion is coming from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that you can turn over the next tile. You don't have to be next to it, but you are correct in that you will only move to the next tile that is of that color.

I agree for such a simple game the rules are not super clear.

On your turn.

Choose ANY tile on the entire board. Succeed in pulling the same colored ball, move to the next tile that matches that color. This could be the one you choose, but may not be.

I think they word it the way they do because as you say it is the best way to describe the first few moves of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.