Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Argent: The Consortium» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ancient Armor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Horsie Palamino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card states that "After an opponent moves or wounds one of your Mages, you may move your Mage to any open slot on the board."

I used Supporter to Wound an opponents mage. The player I targetted simply took off his mage from the board, 'Tapped' his Ancient Armor, then proceeded to place it back into the same spot because technically it was now open again.

Does Ancient Armor work that way? Because it doesn't say "Another spot".

Answered:

You CAN use Ancient Armor to retake the slot but only if it is still empty after the spell.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Palamino wrote:
The card states that "After an opponent moves or wounds one of your Mages, you may move your Mage to any open slot on the board."

I used Supporter to Wound an opponents mage. The player I targetted simply took off his mage from the board, 'Tapped' his Ancient Armor, then proceeded to place it back into the same spot because technically it was now open again.

Does Ancient Armor work that way? Because it doesn't say "Another spot".

From the FAQ:

-Could you explain the timings of Spells and Reactions such as Ancient Armor? And how do Gray Side A mages factor in? Spell is cast (resolve all effects including any mages placed by the spell) -> Reactions are allowed to be played (in turn order, if multiple Reactions are taken) -> A Gray mage (side A) may be placed by the caster.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horsie Palamino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. So to clarify:

Spell or Supporter moves opponents mage out of the spot -> Reaction triggers, allowing them to be placed into the same spot -> Gray mage can now be placed.

Knowing that flow of things, the only way to Steal the spot currently occupied by a player with an ancient Armor is to Use a spell (Such as Nature Side A's Starting Ability) or a Red Mage (Side A), because it does the entire effect before the reaction triggers?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Palamino wrote:
Thanks for the response. So to clarify:

Spell or Supporter moves opponents mage out of the spot -> Reaction triggers, allowing them to be placed into the same spot -> Gray mage can now be placed.

Knowing that flow of things, the only way to Steal the spot currently occupied by a player with an ancient Armor is to Use a spell (Such as Nature Side A's Starting Ability) or a Red Mage (Side A), because it does the entire effect before the reaction triggers?

I think you misread my reply.

The order of resolution is as follows: Spell is cast (resolve all effects including any mages placed by the spell) -> Reactions are allowed to be played (in turn order, if multiple Reactions are taken) -> A Gray mage (side A) may be placed by the caster.

I hope that helps!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verret
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Horsie misread your reply. He is answering is own question with the information you provided.
Q: Is it possible to retake the same spot just lost with Ancient Armor ?
A: Yes, if it's still available.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And I think Trey means that this is not possible since the opponent's mage is placed first and than the reaction is played.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Voigt
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not if the ability used to banish or wound doesn't allow you to place a Mage as a part of the ability.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I'm lost now. Does it or does it not work? The FAQ answer doesn't help because each step of the situation isn't spelled out.

Trey, I appreciate you taking the time to answer questions here. But I honestly have a hard time interpreting many of your responses. A "Yes, because FAQ X.X" or "No, because FAQ X.X" is much more helpful in putting things into context. Maybe I'm just thick but I don't often walk away from these threads with a clearer picture of the intracite rules of the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chopperdan wrote:
Ok I'm lost now. Does it or does it not work? The FAQ answer doesn't help because each step of the situation isn't spelled out.

Trey, I appreciate you taking the time to answer questions here. But I honestly have a hard time interpreting many of your responses. A "Yes, because FAQ X.X" or "No, because FAQ X.X" is much more helpful in putting things into context. Maybe I'm just thick but I don't often walk away from these threads with a clearer picture of the intracite rules of the game.

I'm not sure what is unclear. You can't use Ancient Armor to retake the same spot unless it is still empty after the spell has taken effect.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Voigt
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chopperdan wrote:
Ok I'm lost now. Does it or does it not work? The FAQ answer doesn't help because each step of the situation isn't spelled out.

Trey, I appreciate you taking the time to answer questions here. But I honestly have a hard time interpreting many of your responses. A "Yes, because FAQ X.X" or "No, because FAQ X.X" is much more helpful in putting things into context. Maybe I'm just thick but I don't often walk away from these threads with a clearer picture of the intracite rules of the game.

The point is in some cases it would work, and in some it wouldn't. If the card you are using to wound your opponents mage allows you to immediately place a mage, then your opponent can react with ancient armor to claim a different open spot on the board. If the card only allows you to wound your opponents mage, then your opponent can use ancient armor and reclaim the same spot.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pcvoigtag wrote:
chopperdan wrote:
Ok I'm lost now. Does it or does it not work? The FAQ answer doesn't help because each step of the situation isn't spelled out.

Trey, I appreciate you taking the time to answer questions here. But I honestly have a hard time interpreting many of your responses. A "Yes, because FAQ X.X" or "No, because FAQ X.X" is much more helpful in putting things into context. Maybe I'm just thick but I don't often walk away from these threads with a clearer picture of the intracite rules of the game.

The point is in some cases it would work, and in some it wouldn't. If the card you are using to wound your opponents mage allows you to immediately place a mage, then your opponent can react with ancient armor to claim a different open spot on the board. If the card only allows you to wound your opponents mage, then your opponent can use ancient armor and reclaim the same spot.

Yes, exactly.

To put it another way, you CAN use Ancient Armor to retake the slot but only if it is still empty after the spell.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Horsie Palamino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Trey. The last post answered my question. Solved.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Konieczny
Poland
Katowice
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But AA cannot do this when someone is wounded from the sorcery mage place effect, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Prokonsul Piotrus wrote:
But AA cannot do this when someone is wounded from the sorcery mage place effect, right?

No because the space is taken by the red mage.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Konieczny
Poland
Katowice
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And the same would apply to a spell that not only wounds, but also places a mage, right again?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Prokonsul Piotrus wrote:
And the same would apply to a spell that not only wounds, but also places a mage, right again?

Yes, from the FAQ:

-Could you explain the timings of Spells and Reactions such as Ancient Armor? And how do Gray Side A mages factor in? Spell is cast (resolve all effects including any mages placed by the spell) -> Reactions are allowed to be played (in turn order, if multiple Reactions are taken) -> A Gray mage (side A) may be placed by the caster.

This should also be in the 2nd edition rulebook, probably under the FAQ section.

Hope this helps!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls