7 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » General

Subject: Most/Least notably "swingy" villains? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Star Sign
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello. I've been playing Sentinels for a good while now and am very much a fan of it. However I've noticed that a few villians have had a serious degree of being extremely or extremely hard to defeat depending on which cards they decide to draw out. While I know most villains have a degree of luck, some of them feel like they are either extremely predictable or absurdly random, while a few others (Voss, Dreamer, and Iron Legacy being the most notable for me) hit what I feel is a happy-medium of being consistently difficult, though this is partially because I consider Voss and Dreamer to be two of the most well-designed villains in the game even if they aren't thematically my favorite.

Something I've noticed is that Omnitron seems to be the most swingy of the villains I've fought so far (haven't fought his Cosmic version yet, which is apparently even nastier, or any of the Wrath of the Cosmos villains). Half of its things (mainly drones and components) are barely a threat if even a little attention is paid to it. And then the other half are a nightmare that measure up with Devastating Aurora (EPE, Sedative Flechettes, Technological Singularity, and Terramorphing). As a result I find the battle either won or lost purely if he gets on a roll with any of those cards.

On the flip side, Kismet might be among the most predictable to fight. If the heroes have any degree of decent offense, a lot of her threat is shut down by her talisman (and her) flipping each turn. She doesn't really have much in the way of dangerous cards either. Gloomweaver and Ambuscade have been really bad as well barring any environment hijinks (Ambuscade on Final Wasteland or Silver Gulch can make those sonic mines really deadly). Normal Spite is probably the worst though, as my strat always comes down to getting him to flip as soon as possible followed by shutting him down.

How about everyone else? Has anyone here had experiences or opinions on any of the villains being extremely swingy or predictable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iron Legacy: Consistently difficult.

Possibly the understatement of the year...

Personally, I consider just about all of the level 2 villains to be swingy. If the cards come out a certain way, they're stronger than the 3s. Otherwise they're as weak as the 1s.

Mind blanking on the time traveling pirate - if no crew come out (or only come out 1 at a time), you can just wale on her. However if a raiding party (?) plays 4 at once, you're probably in trouble.

Plague Rat - usually on the easy side, but if he gets that card that 'attack all - 1 and infect all - 1' early the heroes will practically take themselves out.

I'm hesitant to call the Ennead swingy, but lately it seems the difficulty of their games depend on how many additional villain characters come out. Any type of deck control to prevent that makes them way easier.

Most predictable: the chairman. 'I finally got rid of all those underbosses and thugs. Yep, there's that prison break.' Every. Freaking. Time! Lately it seems most of my games have been exploiting Informant's extra card plays to get through the villain draw pile as quickly as possible. Try to time the reshuffle with as many thugs and underbosses in the discard as possible. The game gets way easier at that point. Surviving to get to that point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
kusinohki wrote:
Mind blanking on the time traveling pirate - if no crew come out (or only come out 1 at a time), you can just wale on her. However if a raiding party (?) plays 4 at once, you're probably in trouble.

La Capitan. Yeah, she seems to get Motley Crew and other "bring them back from the dead" cards when you least want them. Kind of fun to play against, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Spite is number one for swinginess. I feel like success or failure depends almost entirely on when his drugs come out and in what order. You can improve your chances, but the drug effects overwhelm the contributions of strategy.

La Capitan takes the second spot, as her crew can be mostly absent, or swarming the deck over and over an over...

Omnitron is third, for reasons mentioned by others.

Plague Rat is usually manageable, but with a string of strong cards early he can outpace the heroes on damage.

Ambuscade relies on two cards for his infrequent wins... Cloaking Device and Charged Assault. Without them he is nothing... with them, he can be annoying.

Apostate's game hinges on combos of artifacts, which may or may not materialize.

I don't consider the Chairman swingy; just brutal. We have beaten him, but don't expect to most times.

On the more consistent side, we have Akashbuta, Dreamer, Iron Legacy, Gloomweaver and poor Kismet.

The rest are more to the center, although any villain can surprise you.

Oh, and I don't consider Voss "unswingy" at all... because spaceships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plague Rat and Progeny are pretty consistent. They are both just damage races more then anything. Infintor is pretty steady too until you go to advanced then he's a bit of a nightmare.
Grand Warlord Voss is pretty consistent too. His swings are mostly on the timing of Forced Deployment coming out

Kismet and La Capitan are the most swingy to me. You can have some games where they're a breeze and others where they are almost unstoppable.

Cosmic Omnitron, Iron Legacy, and Kaarga Warfang are just consistently hard. I don't feel any of them are swingy they are just rough matches and/or close matches most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Arenson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:

This
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Sign
Canada
flag msg tools
Mizerak wrote:
kusinohki wrote:

La Capitan. Yeah, she seems to get Motley Crew and other "bring them back from the dead" cards when you least want them. Kind of fun to play against, though.

Radulla wrote:
La Capitan takes the second spot, as her crew can be mostly absent, or swarming the deck over and over an over...

I actually didn't think of La Capitan, though I can see why. All my matches against her have been consistently brutal. She usually pulls out a couple Crew or a Raiding Party within the first couple turns thanks
to her ship being in play from the start. Recovering from that tends to be difficult but not nigh-impossible (I've yet to see her pull out two Raiding Parties in a row on the first turn, and I'm dreading when she does so). Even then she's got ways of constantly bringing her crew and ship back. She tends to be a favorite of mine to fight, though I avoid using Haka, who I've found dismantles her more brutally than any villain in the game.

Radulla wrote:
On the more consistent side, we have Akashbuta, Dreamer, Iron Legacy, Gloomweaver and poor Kismet.

I'll have to agree on all of those consistent villains. Akash in particular is my favorite villain to fight thematically but she need a dangerous environment to be a real thrill to fight; Silver Gulch and Rook City are my favorites for her, and I never use Rook City unless I'm fighting her for difficulty, Chairman for theme, and Matriarch/Dreamer when I want to hate myself. Strangely I find the Chairman benefits less from Rook City than a lot of other difficulty 3/4 villains. Does anyone else agree?

I think I've been lucky with Voss so far. I've never gotten a turn 1 or 2 Dreadnaught/Flagship to appear yet, and the rest of his villain targets are manageable. Forced Deployment sucks but it's far better to intentionally trigger it on Player 1's turn so there's less to deal with by the villain's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls