6 Posts

Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Where to put damage markers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Haunting Questions
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's something that confused me in the rules regarding taking damage. In the rule-book it states:

Quote:
For each damage dealt, a damage marker is placed either on the base of the figure or on the army card, depending on whether the figure is common or unique. If the figure is common, then any damage markers go on the base. If the figure is unique, then the damage marker goes on the army card (11).

I believe the icons on all squads in this set are the crown icon, which indicates that they're all unique squads. Is this correct?

If that's so, then according to the rules, damage markers go on the army card. This doesn't seem to make sense -- does the entire squad take collective damage, then? This definitely doesn't seem to be the case, as I am pretty sure each figure tracks its own damage.

I watched a few videos of sample games, and it looks like everybody is placing damage counters next to the base of each figure.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!!! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rosenquist
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not missing anything. It's probably just a mistake in the rulebook. In Heroscape, squad figures only had 1 life, while heroes has more than 1 usually. All damage counters went on the army cards. But tracking individual units in a squad in this game pretty much makes it mandatory to put the damage on the bases themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with a designer at gencon and he was basically putting markers on the bases of commons, and on the army card for planeswalkers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haunting Questions
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, y'all! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HauntingQuestions wrote:
Here's something that confused me in the rules regarding taking damage. In the rule-book it states:

Quote:
For each damage dealt, a damage marker is placed either on the base of the figure or on the army card, depending on whether the figure is common or unique. If the figure is common, then any damage markers go on the base. If the figure is unique, then the damage marker goes on the army card (11).

I believe this is a typo and the correct wording for the rule is embedded in the "Leaving an engagement" section on Page 10. It says:

Quote:
Place one damage marker on its army card if it is a Planeswalker or a unique hero...Place the damage marker on the base of the figure if it is a squad figure or a common hero.

For a more thorough explanation, see my other post here: 20169436
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jefimeyerhoff wrote:
I played with a designer at gencon and he was basically putting markers on the bases of commons, and on the army card for planeswalkers.

That makes sense to me, but I wish the bases had a bit of a lip so that the markers didn't slide off while being moved around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls