Subject: Awkward situation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The follow situation seems to come up now and then during gameplay:

(We played 2 player)
There is one pile left where we both want to play some cards. Lets say it is a descending pile where there is now a 30, and we have 18 and 17.

These could be the only two cards left (but do not have to be)

Lets say the player holding the 17 has already played his obligatory cards for the turn and is trying to find out if he should play it or not.

We have to say stuff like "mine is not that god to play". "Well mine is also not that good buy it is okay". "Well mine is also okay, it would not be bad, it is a little small though". "Really small?", "No just a little small".

Most of the game feels fine to me, but the desribed situation feels sort of awkward. On the one hand, we are not supposed to say exactly which number we have, but on the other hand we are trying to communicate to find out.

Have you had that situation happen? Is there a good way to handle it (we usually just tell one person to play, but it is sort of a shame if it is the play that could give you the 'win' for example). Or do you really like this situation? I figured that for some players, this might be just what the game is about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is awkward. And comes up more often than I would like. It always seems to come down to some sort of 50-50 stab in the dark and so often it seems like we miss more than we hit.

I don't see a way around this without going against the spirit of the game. ie having some kind of convention about who should play when.

We simply aren't going to be able to beat this game every time and if it's coming down to just the 2 cards that's about as close to perfect as you can get.

Maybe someone smarter than me will have a better idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts, I am somehow glad I am not the only one feeling this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me there seems to be one basic way to solve this towards the end of the game, which is tracking which cards have already been played and which ones still need to be played (so either at least one person has a very good memory or you lay out the cards in a way that people can track what has been played), because people can then deduce better what others still have in their hands .
If you e.g. then know the 18 is still in someones hand, you should probably try to avoid playing the 17 until the 18 has been played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Cimon
msg tools
We played quite a few games now, and we keep keep having this situtation happening.

It'd be awesome to find a variant to solve this silent conundrum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We started playing open when there are no more cards in the deck (we only play two). Still, for us the game is fundamentally flawed (but can still be fun).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls