Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Where's the Beef... I Mean Board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Laz Greys
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I like the solitaire option. And I like the playing time. But why didn't FFG make a board or tile version?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mori
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Most Fantasy Flight card games, in my experience, have not shipped with a board as it is not needed for gameplay and only serves as extra fluff. I imagine that the board would probably put the price point closer to the $50.00 mark. But that is speculation on my part.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Um...because this is a card game?

I would not think of this as Warhammer Quest 2.0, at least not any more than Death Angel is Space Hulk 2.0.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess what OP is asking is "why don't we get a FFG-Version of the original Warhammer Quest".
My guess is that they don't have permission to produce miniatures for GW.
In Relic they did only busts and in Forbidden Stars the scale of the minis is totally different from what GW does.

Also I guess that FFG main selling point has become card games and so that's a buisness decision.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
Reseñas de Juegos Argentinos
badge
Need a cool Graphic Design for a game you are Creating ? Maybe a banner for a kickstarter ? Ask for a quote... questions are for FREE :D
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That´s right. FFG has the rights to create boardgames based on GW franchises but as long as they do not produce miniatures that might be used in GW games.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide C
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also, a miniature dungeon crawling game would be in open competition with Descent. Personally I really like the idea of a card dungeon crawling game, abstracting some details such as positioning and exploration. I believe this leaves the actual choices in the game and takes away a lot of useless book-keeping, setup, and tear down. Also solitaire dungeon crawlers tend to be a bit fiddly and to have a lot of rules open to interpretation, and with this simplified setup these problems go away. I was already thinking about a game like this, and FFG pulls Warhammer Quest out. I am really curious.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone is interested in a Miniature-Dungeon Crawler that's more like Warhammer Quest than Descent (Second Edition) I suggest they should read up about Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Idorrac wrote:
Also, a miniature dungeon crawling game would be in open competition with Descent.

And Star Wars: Imperial Assault.
And Descent (1st edition).
And Doom.
And Mansions of Madness.
And Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients.
And Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death.
And The Undercity: An Iron Kingdoms Adventure Boardgame.
And TMNT.
And Lobotomy.
And The Others: 7 Sins.
And Castle Ravenloft.
And Wrath of Ashardalon.
And Legend of Drizzt.
And Temple of Elemental Evil.
And Song of Gold and Darkness.
And HeroQuest.
And Advanced HeroQuest.
And Space Crusade.
And Mutant Citadels.
And Dungeons and Dragons 4e.
And Dungeons and Dragons 3e.
And Dungeons and Dragons 3.5e.

And, yes, I own (most of) these games. Which is why I'm looking forward to WHQ the card game. :D
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Idorrac wrote:
Also, a miniature dungeon crawling game would be in open competition with Descent.

And Star Wars: Imperial Assault.
And Descent (1st edition).
And Doom.
And Mansions of Madness.
And Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients.
And Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death.
And The Undercity: An Iron Kingdoms Adventure Boardgame.
And TMNT.
And Lobotomy.
And The Others: 7 Sins.
And Castle Ravenloft.
And Wrath of Ashardalon.
And Legend of Drizzt.
And Temple of Elemental Evil.
And Song of Gold and Darkness.
And HeroQuest.
And Advanced HeroQuest.
And Space Crusade.
And Mutant Citadels.
And Dungeons and Dragons 4e.
And Dungeons and Dragons 3e.
And Dungeons and Dragons 3.5e.

And, yes, I own (most of) these games. Which is why I'm looking forward to WHQ the card game.

Right but not all of those games belong to FFG. I think he was saying he did not think they would want a new product to canabalize their profits from another property. Personally I don't think that would matter because if they were worried about that imperial assault would have never been released.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
willdesigns wrote:
That´s right. FFG has the rights to create boardgames based on GW franchises but as long as they do not produce miniatures that might be used in GW games.

Using FFG instead of GW miniatures to play a GW-composed instead of an FFG-composed ruleset... literally bizarro world.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide C
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, that was my point. I think that Imperial Assault has a different enough setting to justify its presence, while Warhammer Quest would end up being really similar in every aspect to Descent, being a fantasy setting.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laz Greys
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Cuthailion wrote:
I guess what OP is asking is "why don't we get a FFG-Version of the original Warhammer Quest".
My guess is that they don't have permission to produce miniatures for GW.
In Relic they did only busts and in Forbidden Stars the scale of the minis is totally different from what GW does.

Also I guess that FFG main selling point has become card games and so that's a buisness decision.

Yes, you're correct about my question. Thank you. I didn't know that FFG didn't have permission to make miniatures for GW's games.whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see small tiles incorporated into this game somehow, used to build a dungeon. No miniatures needed though, just party or individual hero tokens. Pure card games are too abstract to me, some kind of map would increase the theme and fun by 100%.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laz Greys
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
kittenhoarder wrote:
Um...because this is a card game?

I would not think of this as Warhammer Quest 2.0, at least not any more than Death Angel is Space Hulk 2.0.

What... I didn't know this was a card game. The game's title is Warhammer Quest: The Card Game, but I don't know what a card game is.devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:
I'd love to see small tiles incorporated into this game somehow, used to build a dungeon. No miniatures needed though, just party or individual hero tokens. Pure card games are too abstract to me, some kind of map would increase the theme and fun by 100%.

Would DungeonQuest or Drakon help?

This calls for a geeklist! laugh

(When WHQ actually comes out!)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Libero03 wrote:
I'd love to see small tiles incorporated into this game somehow, used to build a dungeon. No miniatures needed though, just party or individual hero tokens. Pure card games are too abstract to me, some kind of map would increase the theme and fun by 100%.

Would DungeonQuest or Drakon help?

This calls for a geeklist! laugh

(When WHQ actually comes out!)
Too light and too random. And not cooperative. But yes, that's the dungeon tiles element I was talking about.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Libero03 wrote:
I'd love to see small tiles incorporated into this game somehow, used to build a dungeon. No miniatures needed though, just party or individual hero tokens. Pure card games are too abstract to me, some kind of map would increase the theme and fun by 100%.

This is my view also. Pathfinder, and the like are too abstract for me, I think some tiles to represent where you are in the evolving dungeon would be a great idea.
No need to go the full miniatures route, as this puts many people off, just a token for your hero would be enough.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
marlowc wrote:
Libero03 wrote:
I'd love to see small tiles incorporated into this game somehow, used to build a dungeon. No miniatures needed though, just party or individual hero tokens. Pure card games are too abstract to me, some kind of map would increase the theme and fun by 100%.

This is my view also. Pathfinder, and the like are too abstract for me, I think some tiles to represent where you are in the evolving dungeon would be a great idea.
No need to go the full miniatures route, as this puts many people off, just a token for your hero would be enough.

I think this is a great idea ... I wonder how easily we could implement...

As for PACG ... absolutely hate it. Played once and it sits on my shelf. Probably need to auction it off just so I stop seeing it. arrrh

My one worry is this is too similar. I know the Sadlier's have stated it isn't, but there is a level of abstraction that concerns me. Still looking forward to this, however.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:


My one worry is this is too similar. I know the Sadlier's have stated it isn't, but there is a level of abstraction that concerns me. Still looking forward to this, however.

From what I've seen it's very different from Pathfinder, no deck building, no D4,D6,D8,D10,D12's, and a very different gameplay and art style. Also hopefully, the more gritty, dark humour of the Old World, rather than the bland Eurogame flavour of the Paizo game.
I'm also really looking forward to this one, does anyone have a good idea of when it will be out?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FFG preview released over Gencon says late in q3. Right near the end at this link: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/31/warhamm...

But the upcoming page has it as 'at the printer'. If that's accurate, it seems unlikely to make it by the end of September. Perhaps October is more reasonable an estimate as the earliest it's likely to appear?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And the booth at GenCon actually said Q4 2015...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide C
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Concerning dungeon tiles, honestly I sometimes feel they are not very important from the gameplay point of view in any dungeon crawler I have seen. They look nice and all, but in the end the game is just about moving across all rooms until the end of the dungeon is reached, with the occasional decision whether to go left or right when there is a crossroad. I don't think that extracting cards representing locations takes away much, and conversely this mechanic allows for much more creating freedom (you can have different rooms with special rules and a very thematic feeling, such as an underground river, a poisonous cave, winding tunnels...) while reducing setup time (no need to go look for the right tiles and assemble the board) and making the game more compact.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
marlowc wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:


My one worry is this is too similar. I know the Sadlier's have stated it isn't, but there is a level of abstraction that concerns me. Still looking forward to this, however.

From what I've seen it's very different from Pathfinder, no deck building, no D4,D6,D8,D10,D12's, and a very different gameplay and art style. Also hopefully, the more gritty, dark humour of the Old World, rather than the bland Eurogame flavour of the Paizo game.

Right - and I agree with what you've stated. It's the abstraction that's really tough to experience via written reviews or through that video that BGG posted. That's where my concern lies and where I believe it compares to PACG.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Marlow
United Kingdom
Bridgwater
Somerset
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:


Right - and I agree with what you've stated. It's the abstraction that's really tough to experience via written reviews or through that video that BGG posted. That's where my concern lies and where I believe it compares to PACG.

That's true, I'm hoping it will fall somewhere between PACG and Descent. Descent is great, but the Old World is still my favourite gaming place.
Ironic that GW may be about to give it the "specialist games" treatment

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gandalf the Greyjoy
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Idorrac wrote:
Concerning dungeon tiles, honestly I sometimes feel they are not very important from the gameplay point of view in any dungeon crawler I have seen. They look nice and all, but in the end the game is just about moving across all rooms until the end of the dungeon is reached, with the occasional decision whether to go left or right when there is a crossroad. I don't think that extracting cards representing locations takes away much, and conversely this mechanic allows for much more creating freedom (you can have different rooms with special rules and a very thematic feeling, such as an underground river, a poisonous cave, winding tunnels...) while reducing setup time (no need to go look for the right tiles and assemble the board) and making the game more compact.
No need to setup dungeon tiles, because they would be drawn randomly from the pile as the party advances. Also each room can have different special rules and thematic feeling. But yes, I agree that making tiles meaningfull is challenging task. I like how it is handled in DungeonQuest or Dungeons & Dragons. I used to play in Citadel of Blood as a kid and I would love to see dungeon crawler with dungeon tiles like this:

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |