Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: OP_DELETED [+] [View All]
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While I can see your frustration, I don't think it is cool to publish friends & family information. Maybe you could edit that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Elliott
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are others who are on Richard's friend list (most are family hits). These people keep contact with someone who ran off with $170,000 (roughly more than that). That makes them part of the problem.

The only personal information I identified was that of Richard C. James. The others is public information provided by facebook (in which the user had publicly posted said information). In fact all of this is public information, just gathered in one place with what I believe to be the most current information

If anyone believes this to not be the case, follow the links as you will see this is all publicly gathered information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
People's obsession with retribution will continue to be amusing. Retribution at any cost, including by standers (until proven otherwise) as you propose is more than a little pathetic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Elliott
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathetic....is running off with $170,000. Pathetic is knowing someone who has done that, and not doing a thing about it, other than turning a blind eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is possible that they don't know about it.

A better thing to link to might be the latest letter from the webcomic cartoonist to Kickstarter.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/kickstarter-making-the-mafia-loo...

I am surprised at the lack of chatter on the game page forums. Up Front threw up 500 page threads at the drop of a hat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Elliott
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Running off with $177,850 from Kickstarter, PLUS $5,314 from the Evertide Games website.

Source:
https://www.kickstarter.com/dmca/goblins-alternate-realities...

So over $183,000.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!

You know the risks of Kickstarter?
I don't know what your personal pledge was but I think you totally overreacted.

Ok, you gave money and now it's gone. I would be mad and pissed but since you are betting on someone you have to expect that you might not get your game.

If you think that you have a legal chance to get your money back then get a lawyer but stalking the person and posting their private info is totally inappropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how this could possibly get the money back.

Pete (also doesn't think this guy gets a pass because Kickstarter is risky)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Elliott
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey genius, all of the information is public. Maybe you should take the time to read versus saying it's private. Also, just because you run off with $183,000 doesn't change public information into private information.

CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
Wow!

You know the risks of Kickstarter?
I don't know what your personal pledge was but I think you totally overreacted.

Ok, you gave money and now it's gone. I would be mad and pissed but since you are betting on someone you have to expect that you might not get your game.

If you think that you have a legal chance to get your money back then get a lawyer but stalking the person and posting their private info is totally inappropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Elliott
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I can make a kickstarter, get all of you here at bgg to buy in, run off with the money, and then you guys would be like "people knew the risks" ...got it. I need to get started on making a kickstarter project that you'll throw money at!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paladinelliott wrote:
So, I can make a kickstarter, get all of you here at bgg to buy in, run off with the money, and then you guys would be like "people knew the risks" ...got it. I need to get started on making a kickstarter project that you'll throw money at!

Of course. If you start the next "Exploding Kittens"-project and run away with the money, then you have successfully fooled the backers and legally stole their cash.
I don't want to encourage you to do it but according to Kickstarters Terms and Conditions it's a legal fraud.

Since that is not intended, everything works with trust and I believe you did your research before you backed the game it is simply bad luck that you lost your money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
paladinelliott wrote:

Of course. If you start the next "Exploding Kittens"-project and run away with the money, then you have successfully fooled the backers and legally stole their cash.
I don't want to encourage you to do it but according to Kickstarters Terms and Conditions it's a legal fraud.

Since that is not intended, everything works with trust and I believe you did your research before you backed the game it is simply bad luck that you lost your money.
Well, just to be clear, just because the T&C of Kickstarter don't offer a remedy, that doesn't mean it's legal. Fraud is illegal in most jurisdictions on its own. The T&C just cover what Kickstarter is responsible for.

Pete (doesn't think running off with the cash was "legal" if that's what happened)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the problem with a little detective work.

If you've been shafted it's natural to

A. Find out who shafted you.
B. Find out enough information about said person in order to warn others for any future project/scam that person may attempt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who don't know anything about this (including me) searching for that game on Kickstarter yields:

Quote:
Goblins: Alternate Realities is the subject of an intellectual property dispute and is currently unavailable.

Clicking on the link:

Quote:
Goblins: Alternate Realities [Submitted by Goblins]

Date: Apr 14 2015

Sender
Goblins
[Private]

Sent via online form

Recipient
Kickstarter, Inc.
58 Kent Street
Brooklyn, NY 11222
USA

Re: Goblins: Alternate Realities

Description of copyrighted material: Goblins is an award winning comic that has been around for ten years. It's spawned merchandise and published graphic novels.

Description of infringing material: According to point number nine in your terms of use, the project creator must have the right to all intellectual property involved. I am Tarol Hunt, the creator and owner of the webcomic, Goblins and all the characters portrayed on your Kickstarter page linked here... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/336486938/goblins-alter... I also own the rights to the game Goblins: Alternate Realities. Richard James and Evertide Games do not own any aspect of Goblins, nor do they have the rights to any of my artwork in any form. They do not have the right to sell merchandise with my name on it or the name of any of my creations. They do not have the right to fund or finance any Goblins, Goblins: Alternate Realities or G:AR Kickstarter projects. Richard James and Evertide Games do not have the right to the following money... $177,850 Falsely gained through Kickstarter. $5,314 Falsely gained from the Evertide Games website which is currently promoted and linked to through Kickstarter. An unknown amount of money falsely collected with a fake pre-order site that is still collecting money now. This pre-order site uses the exact, same merchandise promoted and given legitimacy by Kickstarter. Furthermore, Kickstarter has no right to the profits gained from this project. I have sent you multiple emails explaining this situation and you have repeatedly refused to remove the illegal project from your site. All of these emails have been carefully filed and will be included as an integral part of the upcoming legal action that is to be taken. As a courtesy, I am telling you one final time to immediately remove the illegal project and any reference to Goblins, Goblins: Alternate Realities or any variation of my intellectual property from Kickstarter.

Pete (is more interested now)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, ok. I might have been a little dramatical with the "fraud"-thing but there is no legal way of getting the money back and I'm sure about that.

The risks of Kickstarter are public information and you know about them when you back a project.
Even if the designer uses the money to create a worthless game or is unable to deliver it is the same as if he ran away with it. You get nothing and the money is gone.
Or like in this case he got some copyright issues (if I read that correctly).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding from the very very very little bit I read is that this was originally a partnership between the cartoon creator and the game design company, so the copyright must be something that has been subsequently revoked, not something that the game company never had the rights to in the first place.

Either way, the OP is on a bullet train to crazy town with posting the facebook accounts of people who appear to be friends, family, or associates of the designer, as though they are somehow complicit in his (apparently/allegedly) fraudulent actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pete should go read that letter from the cartoonist to kickstarter I linked to above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well maybe there is a way to get the money back if the backers make their claim along with the copyright case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
"The raised fist logo may represent unity or solidarity, generally with oppressed peoples."
mbmbmbmbmb
Posting other people's personal information like this is not permitted on BGG. I've removed the posts that included that information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
paladinelliott wrote:

I'd be curious to know how many of the "awww, shucks, you lost your money but you knew the risks" people have actually lost money on a Kickstarter.

Of course, now cue the "well, that's why I don't participate" comments...

I'm involved in backing a KS movie project that while it looks like they will fulfill their obligations, they certainly aren't doing it in the spirit of the intended agreement. Basically backers get their download only after the film has been in festivals, general release and netflix... So the backers will be the last to see the film...anyway. Let me tell you, it gets incredibly frustrating when you realize that you have absolutely no recourse.

So I did something similar, I posted on their FB page reminding them of their obligations - it seemed this public exposure at least got them to acknowledge what they've done to their backers.

So I applaud the OP for making this post. I don't see it as retribution but simply not making it so easy for these crooks to get away with their crime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
Yeah, ok. I might have been a little dramatical with the "fraud"-thing but there is no legal way of getting the money back and I'm sure about that.

The risks of Kickstarter are public information and you know about them when you back a project.
Even if the designer uses the money to create a worthless game or is unable to deliver it is the same as if he ran away with it. You get nothing and the money is gone.

CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
Well maybe there is a way to get the money back if the backers make their claim along with the copyright case.

Currently you need to live in Washington state but if you do you can file charges against Kickstarter creators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
Posting other people's personal information like this is not permitted on BGG. I've removed the posts that included that information.

No problem. Thanks for taking care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:

CarlosSpicyweener wrote:

Currently you need to live in Washington state but if you do you can file charges against Kickstarter creators.
http://atg.wa.gov/news/news-releases/ag-makes-crowdfunded-co...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Bonilla
United States
Winneconne
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CraigH wrote:
paladinelliott wrote:

I'd be curious to know how many of the "awww, shucks, you lost your money but you knew the risks" people have actually lost money on a Kickstarter.

One right here. My KS track record is very good, but I've been burned once on a game where the project lead blew the money trying to complete a former project and the backers of the KS in question got nothing. I shrugged and moved on. I even sent the guy a sympathetic message and advice if he ever tried to publish in the future even though I thought his decisions were idiotic and irresponsible.

The OP read like something out of Gamergate. Gross and unnecessary. Laying everything like that out in one public space for anybody to read (including the countless number of us that didn't back the project in question) is spiteful and inappropriate. A more measured response would have been for the OP to say "If you were part of this project and would like to collaborate to try to take some legal action, contact me and I have information on Mr. James that might be useful."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tuckerotl wrote:

Good to see that at least one state is after them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |