1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a Worker placement game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Feber
msg tools
Hey guys,

I am looking for a game and I hoped you could help me out there.

So what should it be like:

1. worker placement game or anything like that.

2. no cutthroat or very very little

and most important: I really dont like it when I see a game and it says
a) playing over x rounds and lets see b) who has the most points at the end with all the counting stuff. Nothing against counting, but it kills the theme or something for me, I dont know. One game I love is merchants and marauders (obv it has cutthroat mechanics which is ok for me in this game for once) with its scoring system. Very flexible and always close to the track. This game would be so much worse I think (at least for me) when you would play lets say 15 rounds and whoever has the most points at the end wins.
so:

3. not fixed on playing for x rounds or till y run out

and

4. no counting at the end

I know some games could be modified like that, but some cannot because there would be a lot of counting every single round. I have caverna for example and I only played it once and always think about why I dont like it very much, also played waterdeep a few times, which in terms of my standards here is not really something else.
I am very curious if there is anything at all.

Thanks for help!

Cheers

Thomas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Could you elaborate on this, because I would like to know what end of game condition you really want.

I would have suggested The New Science, but point 3 does not qualify for that.

You are merely directing us to this game, but you need a die to move your worker to the next spot. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Feber
msg tools
;P ye great game.....

Caverna for example is made to play for 10 seasons or whatever, I forgot, so it is 10 rounds total. Lords of waterdeep is 8 rounds and thats it. 7 Wonders is 3 ages with 6 rounds each without expansion. I would prefer a window of gamelength.
I love netrunner for example and games there can be short and long, a little bit the same with merchants and marauders. Dynamics seem to be far more interesting to me this way.
With some games I feel like playing microsoft-excel just because at the end there is a big counting (nothing wrong about it, just not what I am looking for). I think it would be so much cooler when for example waterdeep would always count the points, there would be infinite rounds and once a player reaches lets say 150 points, game ends immediately or some sort of superendgame starts and thats it.

luck and theme are not important for me right now.
building some sort of engine is cool too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seb J
China
Chengdu
Sichuan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about The Manhattan Project? The end game condition is "first player to reach X points wins" (where X dépends on the number of players) but at least there is no counting and it is not strict rounds count.

The "first to reach X point" is very fluid and integrate very well with the theme. Building 3 big bombs or a bunch of fire crackers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumbaki wrote:
What about The Manhattan Project? The end game condition is "first player to reach X points wins" (where X dépends on the number of players) but at least there is no counting and it is not strict rounds count.

The "first to reach X point" is very fluid and integrate very well with the theme. Building 3 big bombs or a bunch of fire crackers?

Yeah, point 3 is quite restrictive. "First to reach X" is the only other win condition I can think of.

I was going to suggest Viticulture/Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture, but seeing that you didn't like Lords of Waterdeep, I'm not so sure that it's for you. My second thought was Alien Frontiers, but that definitely fails on point 2, but you're free to check it out.

Santiago de Cuba might be your thing. I wouldn't normally describe the game as worker placement (the rondel is the main mechanism here), but technically I guess it does apply. The game is competitive, but not in an aggressive manner. It is much lighter than both Lords of Waterdeep and Merchants & Marauders, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregor K
Slovenia
Videm pri Ptuju
Videm pri Ptuju
flag msg tools
Hmmm maybe Lewis & Clark?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hyperlisk wrote:
Hmmm maybe Lewis & Clark?

My thoughts exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia is another "First to X" game with worker (dice) placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg
Fresco
Royal Palace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Fabbi
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Proud member of the Cult of the New.
badge
The King of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
Istanbul. Whoever gets to a certain number of gems first wins. The end. No counting. Only thing that might hang you up is that you may define worker placement differently. The game penalizes you for taking an action where there is already one or more players rather than outright prevents you from going to the space. I define this as still being worker placement. Some do not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustOneMoreBanana wrote:

EllenCaroline wrote:

Played over 5 rounds

EllenCaroline wrote:

If there are 6 or less fresco tiles remaining on the board at the beginning of a round this is the final round of the game.
Also, not really a worker placement game - more of a simultaneous action selection mixed with Action/Movement programming and/or Action Point Allowance System.

EllenCaroline wrote:

If there are 12 or less nobles left in the garden, the last round starts and every player has just one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Brito
Brazil
Niterói
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Alien Frontiers would fit despite all your restrictions. It's worker placement (dice=workers) and it ends when someones gets 7(?) points, so no math at all at the end and it's not played based on a fixed number of rounds.

There's some competition about colonies on the planet and also other players' techs may be stolen, but I don't think there is a high degree of cutthroating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Waggle Dance? Played until a player reaches a number of honey-filled hexes, and the only "take that" (other than the "lockout" common to most worker placement games) is a couple of cards in the queen's favor deck that you can just leave out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just asked this, check out that thread also.

I recommend Viticulture, Lords of Waterdeep, and if time isn't an issue, Yedo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 For Viticulture and the Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
brito wrote:
Maybe Alien Frontiers would fit despite all your restrictions. It's worker placement (dice=workers) and it ends when someones gets 7(?) points, so no math at all at the end and it's not played based on a fixed number of rounds.

Colonies, not points, and the number varies according to the number of players. Scoring is simple (1 point per colony and 1 per area majority) and done during the game. Personally, I would have designed the game without any scoring, as the winner is usually the player who ends the game by placing his last colony, anyway.

Quote:
There's some competition about colonies on the planet and also other players' techs may be stolen, but I don't think there is a high degree of cutthroating.

I think the stealing of resources qualifies as very cutthroat, but otherwise it's a good recommendation.

By the way, nice to see you more on BGG, Carlos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rockwell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustOneMoreBanana wrote:
Hey guys,

I am looking for a game and I hoped you could help me out there.

So what should it be like:

1. worker placement game or anything like that.

2. no cutthroat or very very little

and most important: I really dont like it when I see a game and it says
a) playing over x rounds and lets see b) who has the most points at the end with all the counting stuff. Nothing against counting, but it kills the theme or something for me, I dont know. One game I love is merchants and marauders (obv it has cutthroat mechanics which is ok for me in this game for once) with its scoring system. Very flexible and always close to the track. This game would be so much worse I think (at least for me) when you would play lets say 15 rounds and whoever has the most points at the end wins.
so:

and

4. no counting at the end

I know some games could be modified like that, but some cannot because there would be a lot of counting every single round. I have caverna for example and I only played it once and always think about why I dont like it very much, also played waterdeep a few times, which in terms of my standards here is not really something else.
I am very curious if there is anything at all.

Thanks for help!

Cheers

Thomas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Gilhead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi

The Manhattan Project
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
CO
flag msg tools
AceAceBaby wrote:
Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia is another "First to X" game with worker (dice) placement.

Yeah, it really seems like Euphoria fits the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say Euphoria is the closest thing, but you are asking for something that does not yet exist.

You want a game that DOESN'T have "play X# of rounds", "No counting at the end", NOR "Play until Y runs out"???

Technically, Euphoria plays until one person places all 10 of their stars on the bard, which is essentially a race (similar to, say, Lewis & Clark), But couldn't that also be interpreted as "playing until Y runs out (Y being the stars)?

Maybe Lewis & clark is the (only!) option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Feber
msg tools
hey guys,

thanks for those great recommendations!!
I know it was not an easy task, but there are some interesting games to check out for me there!
Maybe you are right and the only winning condition left is "the first player to reach x wins".
It would be especially interesting if not done with a steady linear grow so the game gets boring at the end maybe but a little bit like netrunner where most things seem doable till the very end for both sides.
What if it doesnt have to be a worker placement game?
Keep it coming, you are great guys!

Thanks!

Cheers

Thomas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JustOneMoreBanana wrote:
hey guys,

thanks for those great recommendations!!
I know it was not an easy task, but there are some interesting games to check out for me there!
Maybe you are right and the only winning condition left is "the first player to reach x wins".
It would be especially interesting if not done with a steady linear grow so the game gets boring at the end maybe but a little bit like netrunner where most things seem doable till the very end for both sides.
What if it doesnt have to be a worker placement game?
Keep it coming, you are great guys!

Thanks!

Cheers

Thomas

Clearly, you should play The Manhattan Project and then come report back. I don't think anyone knows what direction to take until you do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Brito
Brazil
Niterói
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Engine
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:

Maybe Lewis & clark is the (only!) option.

The only problem is that I don't consider Lewis & Clark a 100% worker placement game.

Normally in classic worker placement games (as Agrícola, Stone Age, Lords of Waterdeep, Russian Railroads, etc, etc) the central mechanism of the game is that you use workers you own to trigger actions on the board, blocking those actions to others and normally at the end of the round the workers get back to you.

In L&C you can effectively use indians to trigger actions on the board, but the indians don't belong to you and so don't get back to you. Besides, usually the main source of actions in the game are not the indians (except at the beginning when the cards in your hand are too week), but the use of the cards in your hand. From the midgame onwards, after you have built a strong enough hand of cards, you can play pratically not using indians at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Braden
United States
Goshen
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for not a worker placement game, I would suggest Robinson Crusoe. It's co-op but it has very different game play each time and there is always a chance of winning (or losing) early in the game.

Another game that has some counting and some linear progression but is still good isTzolk'in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gnasche wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:

Yeah, it really seems like Euphoria fits the bill.

While reading what the OP wanted, this was the first game that came to mind.

+1 Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.