Popular Tags: [View All]
William Parsons
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Matt @ Cryptozoic R&D (or anyone else that can clarify things for me),

In this thread you state "Quests & Treasures are only completed at the end of your turn."

In this thread you state "you don't have to wait for the Quill to call it complete" in reference to someone being able to complete more than one Running Challenge in a single turn.

These two quotes have confused me as to exactly WHEN Challenges and Treasures are considered complete.

Is a Challenge/Treasure considered complete:

(a) only upon placing a quill on said Challenge/Treasure during Step No. 7 "Finishing your turn"; or

(b) immediately upon allocating the appropriate # of symbols at any point after Step No. 2 "Roll the four white dice"?

Option A seems to be in line with the first quote (and would seemingly make it so that two Running Challenges could never be completed in a single turn), whereas Option B seems to be in line with the second quote (which would allow you to do things like complete multiple Running Challenges and reap Challenge/Treasure rewards mid-turn).

Thanks for any clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Good catch.
I edited the first quote to say "Rewards are only collected at the end of your turn."

The answer to your question is: B

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Parsons
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for the quick reply! I do have a follow-up question though.

Is there a section in the rulebook that explicitly states that rewards (from either Challenges or Treasure) are only gained at the end of your turn (i.e. only on Step No. 7 "Finish your turn")?

If I paraphrase the section in the rulebook regarding "Treasures" it states:

"Finding a Treasure token requires the allocation of dice and possible Resources or Company tiles. Once completed, a Quill is not add to the token. Instead, the Treasure token is removed from the main board and placed on the Resource Board[...]You will also gain Company tiles from the pool as soon as you gain a Treasure token."

If you gain the Company tile reward as soon as the Treasure is completed--and if "completed" means Option B above-- then this would indicate that you gain said reward mid-turn (i.e prior to Step No. 7); thus, allowing you to acquire and use Company tiles that you did not start the turn with.

If this is how it works, I imagine the same would hold true for completing Challenges as well.

This seems like a very nuanced timing rule that is not clearly set out in the rules. Can you please let me know if I'm thinking about this the right way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

Completing it with dice vs Quill/Treasure gain is the difference. You can finish allocating to a Challenge and move on to the next, which doesn't give you all of the benefits of "completing," except for moving on.

Looks like the word "completed" should have been broken up in the rules...

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls