Davide Pellacani
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday with my group of friends did the second play to 1862.
To note that one week ago, during the first session, after explanation of rules and the first hour of play, someone was very scared by the complexity of game, and decided to not repeat the experience; but during the session the interest raised, merge, dividends sharing, stock exchange and many other aspect caught the attention and we decided at unanimity to make one other session after a week, yesterday was the consacration, the game flowed since beginning, and now we are opening also to new other players for next session.

Going to the question:
in 5 players we haven't bought warranties for any train, due to the fact that it didn't seem worth of any value; the trains usually runs at least 3 times from purchasing and if it would equipped with 3 warranties it should runs for sure the 4th time and in case after it will rust, so it's strategic to have money for purchasing a permanent train as soon it possible.

We think to have applied correctly the rules, the warranties will go away after every running, despite the train runs or not, and in every phase/band.

Are there warranties strategic for a different number of players in the table or we missed something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it seems you have played the warranties correctly. In my limited experience non-permanent trains run twice, at the most.

Anybody who's not winning has every interest to buy more trains and thus rust more trains. So there's usually only one or two people who want to keep the status quo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've seen two entire ranks of trains rust before they ever ran (and in the same OR no less). Yes, warrants can be important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutton
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pdp0 wrote:
Are there warranties strategic for a different number of players in the table or we missed something?
They are Essential on A-trains in a 4-handed or 8-handed game, and less so for the others.

For the D-trains it depends on timing - if there's a lot of company money in the game when you want to buy a D then they can be used to get you out of Jail when people burn through the Es and Fs. Or they could be a complete waste of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide Pellacani
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right,
sound logical, in 4 and 8 players the maximum number of companies will be started at beginning, so trains will be bought in major quantity, in five players maximum 5 companies can be started, and the trains will last more.
This change completely the strategies based on number of players.

@Mike: great job, the best economic management game ever I tried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I've seen two entire ranks of trains rust before they ever ran (and in the same OR no less). Yes, warrants can be important.

I've seen a game, where a player was wrecked because his company was train tight and had a warranted train that he couldn't get rid of. which suppressed his income down and he lost on share value.

It is important to be aware of your environment too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

That is impressive.

I've heard of a game where a player's B trains rusted before he had a chance to run them.

It is still talked about with glee at our table on Tuesdays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leifr wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

That is impressive.

I've heard of a game where a player's B trains rusted before he had a chance to run them.

It is still talked about with glee at our table on Tuesdays.

I managed to rust two companies pairs of C trains before they ran once.

Not THAT was glorious, especially since they started companies just to screw my A running leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls