Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Chaosmos» Forums » General

Subject: An amazing concept, but it isn't working. What's going wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Gerding
Poland
Łódź
łódzkie
flag msg tools
Offering reviews, rulebooks, editing, playtesting, and Polish translation. PM me for details.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently was able to get this game to our table. It's hit twice now and both times were a dud. Which seems odd because the idea just sounds so amazing!

As an aside, both times we played with the kickstarter bonus cards, which we will never use again if this does hit for a third time. Some of them are just seem so incredibly powerful that they broke the game. The HyperPulse Missle in the hands of the person with the Ovoid is just nasty.

Each time we played this the game came down to having one unbeatable person. Of course we didn't roll infinity against them! That lucky person that was able to find two +2 cards and/or a grenade early could just sit on their home planet doing nothing. You can say "Oh but luck of the roll means you have a chance", but luck of the roll never swung the game enough. And if luck of the roll is all I have to rely on, then the game is flawed when it comes to combat.

Once you have the ovoid, what reason do you have to keep any card other than combat cards? A large majority of them are really only good for subterfuge, but if you're just gonna walk around with the biggest guns, what is the point of subterfuge? Near the end of the game, everyone KNOWS where the Ovoid is, so any attempt by that player to hide it anywhere but their hand is simply a careless mistake.

Honestly, the last half of the game feels like a slow grind of you slamming your head into a brick wall in hopes that it will eventually break. But to top it all off, every time you lose to the wall, the wall steals some of your only defense against it.

Advanced Defenses only worked briefly. If you fight someone that doesn't have the attack your defense works on, then you're wasting your card space. Even then, in each game one person seemed to get all the +2 weapons, which means attacking them still came down to luck of the roll, honestly. Having more than one Advanced Defense was rare because the warlord normally stole those too and then hid them away, causing you to waste turns getting them back.

The Pink alien is just beyond broken. The fact that she can get the +2 bonus from the hyper tokens, win, and then steal two cards made it so that player always had all the best weapons.

I WANT to love this game, because everything about it seems like a fantastic idea. But each time we've played, it just didn't work. What are we doing wrong?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of your problems can be resumed as a problem of "group thinking" and certainly not "problem of the game"

HeirToPendragon wrote:
As an aside, both times we played with the kickstarter bonus cards

why instead of jumping on an advanced game you didn't use the recommended "beginner setup"?

HeirToPendragon wrote:
Each time we played this the game came down to having one unbeatable person.

every card has a counter and there is no unbeatable person and runaway leader. if you have a person who's hoarding weapon stay assured that they probably don't know where the heck the ovoid is... and even if tehy know i can probably steal from him with a proper card or power played at the right time without even fighting him.
also antiweapons nullifies completely their bonus and it's impossible for theme to hoard all the +2 weapons and their anti since you can at most have 7 card in hand

HeirToPendragon wrote:
Of course we didn't roll infinity against them! That lucky person that was able to find two +2 cards and/or a grenade early could just sit on their home planet doing nothing.

DOING NOTHING IN THIS GAME MEANS SURELY LOSING BECAUSE KNOWLEDGE IS POWER IN THIS GAME! If a player is staying put on a planet i already know that he has the ovoid and tracking their movement i can narrow down with 100% knowledge where he hid the ovoid (if he did hide it at all)... so i will travel all other planets to get every antiweapon possible and some card that helps with the stealing.
then i will just wait my last turn hyperspacing towards him fighting him with all my antiweapons staling his ovoid and use a temporal displacer to win... stay assured that next time he won't do this again

HeirToPendragon wrote:
You can say "Oh but luck of the roll means you have a chance", but luck of the roll never swung the game enough. And if luck of the roll is all I have to rely on, then the game is flawed when it comes to combat.

Dice can help but in combat but 9 out of 10 they don't change a thing.

HeirToPendragon wrote:
Once you have the ovoid, what reason do you have to keep any card other than combat cards? A large majority of them are really only good for subterfuge, but if you're just gonna walk around with the biggest guns, what is the point of subterfuge? Near the end of the game, everyone KNOWS where the Ovoid is, so any attempt by that player to hide it anywhere but their hand is simply a careless mistake.

if i have the ovoid early on and carry all the weapon i'm sure i won't let it rest in my hand because ANTIWEAPON exists: if you carry all weapons i will surely track down all the anti and "curbstomp" you at the end of the game taking the ovoid from your hand.
i will trap it, vault it, hide into a base and pretend i have it in hand.
i'm starting to think that the problem is you don't "GET" the game at all... it's not supposed to be "star wars space combat", it's more akin to cluedo and deduction games

HeirToPendragon wrote:
The Pink alien is just beyond broken. The fact that she can get the +2 bonus from the hyper tokens, win, and then steal two cards made it so that player always had all the best weapons.

calling something broken after 2 plays without even starting with a basic setup is asinine.
the hypertokens aren't rechargable and you have to balnce between hyperspacing in order to move around faster and using your ability for at maximum 3 times in the game... using that reasoning tertalje is broken because he always start with the ovoid in his hand, vlachlos is broken because he can destroy cards, vroon is op because he can move faster than everyone and so on...

HeirToPendragon wrote:
What are we doing wrong?

everything!
- thinking this is some sort of "space combat game" when actually is a deduction/hide and seek game
- relying too much on combat cards, which is exploitable, and not on subterfuge
- assuming something is OP
- using advanced cards right of the bat instead of going with recommended setup for beginners

The problem isn't in the game but in your group thinking.
Try to start with the basic setup (8 planets no bases no advanced cards) with a different group and emphasize that this isn't "space combat" but "a game of deduction, subterfuge and hide and seek".

Combat cards are the weakest card in all the deck (they aren't useless, because you need them, but they lose importance as the game goes on. )
eg. i have the ovoid and your enviro gear and some anti weapons, you have every possible +2 in the game (quite impossible but for the sake of the example let's assume it is).
i travel to your toxic planet knowing fully well you are loaded with weapons and click. it's your turn, you know i have the ovoid but you don't have the enviro gear... you are stuck with a useless hand while i move towards victory beacuse you can't attack me. See the pattern here? everything is exploitable and hoarding weapons is the simplest to exploit.

I think you should just reset everything you knew about this game, start it over with the recommended basic setup explained in the rulebook and if someone starts hoarding cards just show them it's a bad strategy

EDIT: i won't edit my post but i apologize for my rudeness! rereading this post it feels really bad manner on my part.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Gerding
Poland
Łódź
łódzkie
flag msg tools
Offering reviews, rulebooks, editing, playtesting, and Polish translation. PM me for details.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are you so hostile? You break apart my argument a sentence at a time but don't look at the collective whole. I had a whole paragraph about how the anti-weapons just didn't work to counter the warlord in both plays but you just write it off.

I'm looking for constructive assistance, not some butt-hurt fanboy defense. I know HOW the game should be played and I know HOW it is meant to work, but from both games I played the only thing that led to a victory was having the most guns and waiting for the clock to tick down.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey V

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
designer
publisher
GROWL Kickstarter LIVE - TinyUrl.com/GROWLKS
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Thanks for asking the questions. Some people in your situation merely dismiss a game rather than digging in deeper. This game deserves to be dug into.

The Kickstarter bonus cards must NOT be played with the standard 2-4 player configuration. They were balanced specifically to improve the (unofficial) 5 player game experience. This was stated on KS and in these forums. Obviously a permanent 4 weapon like Hyperpulse is not meant to be just 'thrown in' with the other cards in the basic card set. It balances correctly (although still powerful) when there are five players and weapons are split up differently. There are design concepts it addresses but the forthcoming true 5 player expansion will probably make it obsolete.

I frequently can win the game without ever winning any combats, or at most one or two combats. I agree with the above advice-- you guys jumped into it too fast with a possibly skewed idea of what the point of the game is. It's a deduction and deception game. Combat is usually just part of the equation. Secrecy is key and the Temporal Displacer is the true key.

The pink alien ain't overpowered in the full 48 turn game (don't play to 48 ever unless you like it at 36 first!!) Even at 36 turns the pink alien stops being overpowered once you stop trying to take the Ovoid from her with junk weapons on the final turn. Rethink everything. Hide the Ovoid, learn how traps and vaults work. Concede early combats rather than revealing your combat cards to the other players, and save defense cards for the *right* combat. Utilize misdirection. Throw cards inside vaults (you can do that without opening the vaults), use Hypertubes to send cards inside planets you have previously trapped.

Read the rulebook, watch some videos, and try it with fresh eyes.

Strip it back to the beginner game... it's still fun without Bases, I promise. If it still doesn't work, then ok.

joey
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HeirToPendragon wrote:
The Pink alien is just beyond broken. The fact that she can get the +2 bonus from the hyper tokens, win, and then steal two cards made it so that player always had all the best weapons.

My group thinks that the Oracle is overpowered, and (especially in the shorter game) you would never pick Pink over Black.

This may not apply to your group, but I've noticed that my more casual friends enjoy Chaosmos more than regular board gamers. Part of the reason is the winner-take-all approach. In games like Agricola, even when you lose, you can look at your farm and be proud of what you accomplished. In Chaosmos, you can play everything right then lose the Ovoid in the last few rounds- losing the game and having nothing to show for it.

Without a doubt, one of the polarizing games I own. In my opinion, I would like an option for multiple players to join a fight against the Ovoid holder. Not sure who would get the Ovoid in the aftermath, but the concept fits the theme from the book better!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Gerding
Poland
Łódź
łódzkie
flag msg tools
Offering reviews, rulebooks, editing, playtesting, and Polish translation. PM me for details.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cannibalkid wrote:
The Kickstarter bonus cards must NOT be played with the standard 2-4 player configuration. They were balanced specifically to improve the (unofficial) 5 player game experience. This was stated on KS and in these forums. Obviously a permanent 4 weapon like Hyperpulse is not meant to be just 'thrown in' with the other cards in the basic card set. It balances correctly (although still powerful) when there are five players and weapons are split up differently. There are design concepts it addresses but the forthcoming true 5 player expansion will probably make it obsolete.

I wish you would have included a note about this. I just added one extra card to each starting planet. At least my suspicions are confirmed that those cards aren't good in a 4 player game.

As for your other points, we all knew HOW the game is supposed to work. We all understood the point of the game. The problem was, none of us could find a way to get the ovoid out of the hands of the warlord that had it. Try as we might, we never beat him. He got attacked at least once or twice a round and yet still held on until the game finished (we have only ever played 36 rounds). Most of us just ran off looking in the other planets for any possible missing weapon we could find to take him out.

Horror Leader wrote:
In my opinion, I would like an option for multiple players to join a fight against the Ovoid holder. Not sure who would get the Ovoid in the aftermath, but the concept fits the theme from the book better!

I would love to see this. So many times I kept thinking "You know, if I just gave her my Defense cards, she might be able to win and at the very least break the stalemate".

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulina Gerding
Poland
Łódź
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WoW Lance, your reply is so helpful!

Darklaw90 wrote:
Most of your problems can be resumed as a problem of "group thinking" and certainly not "problem of the game"

Twice we played with different groups of people, people who usually play completely different games and have different play styles and yet the game did not work. Also, both times I tried different tactics. Once, being sneaky and "bluffing" a lot, second time I tried the "warlord" tactics, the game failed me both times.

Darklaw90 wrote:
why instead of jumping on an advanced game you didn't use the recommended "beginner setup"?


First time we played we did normal setup as it felt that there is not much difference. We did play a 36 round game instead of 48. We didn't have problems with handling the game. We just didn't enjoy it.

Darklaw90 wrote:
every card has a counter and there is no unbeatable person and runaway leader. if you have a person who's hoarding weapon stay assured that they probably don't know where the heck the ovoid is... and even if tehy know i can probably steal from him with a proper card or power played at the right time without even fighting him.
also antiweapons nullifies completely their bonus and it's impossible for theme to hoard all the +2 weapons and their anti since you can at most have 7 card in hand


And yet this is exactly what had happened to us. Our friend got the Ovoid in one of the very first rounds and he kept it till the very end and there was nothing we could have done to stop him. He did not have all the "anti" weapons but beating him was impossible. He played the pink people and could also use his boost tokens to get +2 if he needed that. Also after defeating one of us he could steal 2 of our cards making us significantly less powerfull.

Darklaw90 wrote:
DOING NOTHING IN THIS GAME MEANS SURELY LOSING BECAUSE KNOWLEDGE IS POWER IN THIS GAME!

Why are you exactly yelling at us right now? We have played the game twice, with no great results at both times. Knowledge who has the ovoid did not help me at any point.

Darklaw90 wrote:
If a player is staying put on a planet i already know that he has the ovoid and tracking their movement i can narrow down with 100% knowledge where he hid the ovoid (if he did hide it at all)... so i will travel all other planets to get every antiweapon possible and some card that helps with the stealing.
then i will just wait my last turn hyperspacing towards him fighting him with all my antiweapons staling his ovoid and use a temporal displacer to win... stay assured that next time he won't do this again

We knew who had the ovoid and as I have mentioned above that did not help us in any way. Your argument
Darklaw90 wrote:
to get every antiweapon possible and some card that helps with the stealing


would work assuming that one of us would get SUPER lucky and managed to get the anti weapons. However, everytime we played a 4 player game so that means other people got good stuff too.

Darklaw90 wrote:
Dice can help but in combat but 9 out of 10 they don't change a thing.

Oh yes they do - rolls did not help us in any possible way. At one point one of us charged the ovoid holder with whole hand of weapons and then he rolled infinity symbol - thank you, we're done. Also, if you roll a 4 against a 10 you basically are done right there and no amount of cards is going to help you.

Darklaw90 wrote:
if i have the ovoid early on and carry all the weapon i'm sure i won't let it rest in my hand because ANTIWEAPON exists: if you carry all weapons i will surely track down all the anti and "curbstomp" you at the end of the game taking the ovoid from your hand.
i will trap it, vault it, hide into a base and pretend i have it in hand.

Your arguments really do not work exactly as you would like them to. All that would be okay if it was a two player game, with other people in the game everyone will try to get the good stuff and leave the less powerfull or less needed items on the planets. Also yesterday only one of us got lucky enough to get traps and she was not the ovoid holder.

Darklaw90 wrote:
i'm starting to think that the problem is you don't "GET" the game at all... it's not supposed to be "star wars space combat", it's more akin to cluedo and deduction games

You know that constructive criticism and rudness are two different things? We do know what the game is about, we know how it supposed to work and yet, it did not. Please do not treat us like kids who don't know what to do with a toy.

Darklaw90 wrote:
calling something broken after 2 plays without even starting with a basic setup is asinine.

As I have mentioned before, we played the game twice, even though we did not enjoy the first experience. It sounds great that is why we wanted to give it a chance once again. As we DO know what the game is ABOUT, however that did not exactly work as it should have.

Darklaw90 wrote:
the hypertokens aren't rechargable and you have to balnce between hyperspacing in order to move around faster and using your ability for at maximum 3 times in the game... using that reasoning tertalje is broken because he always start with the ovoid in his hand, vlachlos is broken because he can destroy cards, vroon is op because he can move faster than everyone and so on...

However, the pink guy and his power + the cards he got made him to powerfull. No one could take the ovoid from him for about 25 rounds until he got the card that "sped up" the time and ended the game early.

Darklaw90 wrote:
everything!
- thinking this is some sort of "space combat game" when actually is a deduction/hide and seek game
- relying too much on combat cards, which is exploitable, and not on subterfuge
- assuming something is OP
- using advanced cards right of the bat instead of going with recommended setup for beginners

Thank you so much for the help! Now we know exactly what to do! And you really think we did not try that? That we jumped into the game with this idea that we will kill everyone and that is the point of the game? Playing the Kickstarter exclusive cards was a mistake but besides that I do not think that the playing a normal game instead of beginners has made a big difference. We do play a lot of advanced games and I would probably enjoy the game even less if we "hindered" our first play.

Darklaw90 wrote:
The problem isn't in the game but in your group thinking.
Try to start with the basic setup (8 planets no bases no advanced cards) with a different group and emphasize that this isn't "space combat" but "a game of deduction, subterfuge and hide and seek".

Do I really have to mention again that we played the game twice with completely different people?

Darklaw90 wrote:
Combat cards are the weakest card in all the deck (they aren't useless, because you need them, but they lose importance as the game goes on. )
eg. i have the ovoid and your enviro gear and some anti weapons, you have every possible +2 in the game (quite impossible but for the sake of the example let's assume it is).

Explanation as above.

Darklaw90 wrote:
i travel to your toxic planet knowing fully well you are loaded with weapons and click. it's your turn, you know i have the ovoid but you don't have the enviro gear... you are stuck with a useless hand while i move towards victory beacuse you can't attack me. See the pattern here? everything is exploitable and hoarding weapons is the simplest to exploit.

And again playing with more than two people ruins the plan completely.

Darklaw90 wrote:
if someone starts hoarding cards just show them it's a bad strategy

*Sigh* we did, it did not work, especially the part when we should "show them it's a bad strategy" because apparently it worked.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Gerding
Poland
Łódź
łódzkie
flag msg tools
Offering reviews, rulebooks, editing, playtesting, and Polish translation. PM me for details.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh shit Lance! You woke the wife! RUN!!!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry if i appeared hostile, wasn't my intention!
i truly think that there was a problem on your side more than on the game itself!

sometimes on the internet we forget how to properly "answer" so my digging part for part wasn't intended as some sort of aggression but more like a constructive critiscism.

So again sorry if i appared hostile
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Linka_p wrote:
...

i will just say this: i understand that i may have exagerated on some part and already said sorry for that... rereading it now i think you have a point in saying that was bad manner on my part and already said sorry...

though that said, my criticism still stand and i provided valid countermeasures to handle your specific problem: weapon hoarding!

as i said if someone starts hoarding and stays still that's a sign he already found the ovoid and he's just protecting it: in order to end his reign you need to do a search of every planet and cosmic pool and see what cards are in play what was left behind and so on... someone (3 player game) tried exactly this strategy on me the first time and we countered it by collecting antiweapons and single use cards stealing succesfully from him and forcing him to look for an entire different hand of cards because he's strategy was ineffective.

and no my point is valid both on 2 player game and 4 player game alike: if someone is hoarding then the other 3 players either have a plan of their own to steal in the last turn the ovoid or they go for the anti weapon strategy, ganging up on the player...
Rudeness aside my point is: try to play a beginner set up to "get" the proper mindset, if it doesn't work maybe this game is not for you or maybe it's because we played this already plenty of times in PnP format so we are "used" to the game and we evolved our meta...

hope this time i was clear without rudeness by my part (which i admit, rereading my post, appears as so)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As Lance said, there's a counter to everything in the game... however, there's no denying that there are things you can do to give yourself a significant edge in the late stages of the game. These inlcude things like finding the ovoid, gathering all the weapons, securing all the defenses, hiding the keys, finding the environment gear, establishing a base, creating a web of disinformation, throwing suspicion on another player, diminishing another player's hand, etc...

It sounds to me like this is a case of one person simply getting a jump on all the other players. It doesn't sound like he persued one broken strategy and won -- it sounds like he spent the early stages of the game defeating you on multiple fronts without you even realizing you were in danger yet. By the time the late stages came up and "everyone knew everything", he had already collected all the weapons, hid all the bases, possibly found the environment gear or maglock keys to secure the defenses away, discovered the ovoid, and managed to steal key cards away and secure them all in one place. He's clearly been busy. While it's common in almost every game I've played to have one or two players clearly superior in combat to the others, I've never seen someone own the game on so many fronts before.

I think you just got outplayed during the "secret" stages of the game. And it makes sense that if he played really well early on, he should have an advantage late in the game.

It is a strange experience you are having with the game, especially with two different groups, but its not really one I can share. I think its just a matter of everyone getting used to the game, and some people picking it up better than others.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake De'Ath
New Zealand
flag msg tools
A couple of things to clarify

Quote:
He played the pink people and could also use his boost tokens to get +2 if he needed that. Also after defeating one of us he could steal 2 of our cards making us significantly less powerfull.

Was he using his hypertokens multiple times or discarding after use?

When he took 2 cards off you was he making sure he was under the 7 card hand limit, giving cards back to the defeated if needed?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Gerding
Poland
Łódź
łódzkie
flag msg tools
Offering reviews, rulebooks, editing, playtesting, and Polish translation. PM me for details.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BlaDe91 wrote:
A couple of things to clarify

Quote:
He played the pink people and could also use his boost tokens to get +2 if he needed that. Also after defeating one of us he could steal 2 of our cards making us significantly less powerfull.

Was he using his hypertokens multiple times or discarding after use?

When he took 2 cards off you was he making sure he was under the 7 card hand limit, giving cards back to the defeated if needed?

Yes to both of these. The hypertokens were only used once and by the end I think he had used them all, but he kept us at bay the whole time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Hamtzany
msg tools
I only have 3 games under the belt but they went very differently.
I am considering moving to playing with 1 combat die for each side instead of two in order to reduce the max difference between rolls and get rid of the infinity auto win. (Mirror will copy the other side, mirror on both sides will mean auto tie).

Anyway, the pink player could only use the hypertoken +2 up to three times.
I find it strange that it could keep winning so much.
Perhaps you forgot the rule that say that one cannot go over the hand limit size when taking spoils? If it already has such an awsome hand of 7 cards it would be impossible to take your cards without giving you some of those weapons.

A player have to be VERY lucky to get the best resuable weapons hand (+13 from 3 +2 weapons, 3 spores and another +1 weapon. Or +12 if he tolds the Ovoid). And still if people will pull their resources by allowing others to take the appropriate counters (drop them on a planet and let another take it. Perhaps a trade for action house rule should be added?) this hand can be totally negated and defeated.

Whoever wins the ovoid will have the perfect hand to defeat the warlord, but the hand won't good against other players at all!

Perhaps I'm missing something on how you played, but it still doesn't sound like the game is broken with a certain win strategy.

Can you elaborate on what hand did the warlord player use to defeat you all so soundly?
Did you remember that spoils are still subject hand limit size?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulina Gerding
Poland
Łódź
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your house rules, I think they would really improve the game.

We remembered about the hand size limit, however he sometimes got one time use weapons and then after a won battle got rid of that one and took something from me that would give me an edge. Also bad dice rolls did not help in this situation.

I don't remember exactly which cards did he have, it was our first game so some of the names were still very vague to me. Yet we definitely remember about the size limit, and we kept getting crap in our hands and all the good stuff was taken away from us. Maybe it was just bad luck on our side but we were decimated.

We plan to play the game at least once more, removing some of the cards and playing basic setup. We will see how it turns out. I really want to like the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Hamtzany
msg tools
I don't have the kickstarter cards. From other replies here it sounds like they add more powerful weapons and it sounds like that really ruined the game balance.

You might also want to try a game without any of the battle oriented characters. I think the game is balanced with them, but it sounds like you could use a playthrough that encourge other playstyles.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Rech
Brazil
Santa Cruz do Sul
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if the basic setup will help you AFTER those experiences. I agree you should have started with that, but it may be too late now.

I would suggest playing with the Dark Ovoid variant. It will make people move around the map to gather information.

About Gazmae, it's a good idea to force the player to spend the hypertokens, so you may attack knowing you will lose, just to make him/her waste the tokens.

So far we played 5 times, 3 basic and after that 2 with Dark Ovoid variant. All of them were very good, some more combat oriented, some more hide and seek.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The original post and subsequent replies have given me some very valid points to think about.

The next couple times I get the game to the table, I will attempt to "break" it using different strategies. I will see how they work.

I actually have a friend who tries to "break" any game we play, and many games have been removed from my collection because of his efforts. I'm sure he will help me in this endeavor.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bungeeboy wrote:
I actually have a friend who tries to "break" any game we play, and many games have been removed from my collection because of his efforts. I'm sure he will help me in this endeavor.

Like, tries to do this instead of winning just to see if it can be done? That sounds annoying to me -- is it fun to play with someone doing that?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey V

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
designer
publisher
GROWL Kickstarter LIVE - TinyUrl.com/GROWLKS
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is somewhat possible that minor rules got missed or some solution like The Claw or the Drop Capsule could have been appropriate. Holding the Ovoid and cfocusing on weapons has not been an effective strategy in my group, and we have been playing for years.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey V

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
designer
publisher
GROWL Kickstarter LIVE - TinyUrl.com/GROWLKS
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You only have to wrestle the Ovoid away one time- then once you have it, obfuscate its location so combat strong aliens can't get it back. Put it on a toxic planet. The blue alien can hold 9 cards, and he is encouraged to go for Spores or counters as weapons. I find that a 9 card hand works very well against Gazmae.

I think once you pull out the missile and the other 5p bonus cards, the game balance will settle properly.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bryant
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chiming in to this thread a year after it's last post whistle

We played the beginner game last weekend and had a near-identical experience to the OP. The pink race was able to use the token-for-combat ability to win early victories and then leveraged those wins by cleaning out all combat cards from the other races. He used the captured combat cards to secure planet envelopes, then tucked any lesser-number combat cards into his own planetary stashes. I had some defense cards that would have cancelled his, but he never pulled those cards on me because he had looked at my hand and knew what not to play.

It was really over by click 30. The rest was that head-meet-wall situation for the other players.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
HeirToPendragon wrote:
I know HOW the game should be played and I know HOW it is meant to work, but from both games I played the only thing that led to a victory was having the most guns and waiting for the clock to tick down.

I had the same experience, unfortunately. Big concept, really big, solid theme, but the game falls short of expectations in several things.
I backed it, i was enthusiast, then i played 10 games and nobody liked the fact that having the most powerful guns it's the best way to win. Bluffing? C'mon, not at all, unless you play with kids, in that case should work.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey V

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
designer
publisher
GROWL Kickstarter LIVE - TinyUrl.com/GROWLKS
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend playing with the counterfeit Ovoid variant and trying, just for a game or two, a strategy involving only collecting defense cards and focusing on deception strategies. In my experience it is more powerful than a collect-weapons-and-wait-for-the-end strategy. The Displacer can upend players who have a combat strategy.

If you've played 10 games and combat focus is still winning, then I wonder what the issue would be. Mind games are my interest over combat, but maybe I am particularly good at that type of thing.

There are several variants in the rulebook, all of which have been vetted, which might be more your interest. The expansion, which I will publish when I get more $$ together, focuses less on combat and adds a bunch more mind game cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
cannibalkid wrote:
I would recommend playing with the counterfeit Ovoid variant and trying, just for a game or two, a strategy involving only collecting defense cards and focusing on deception strategies. In my experience it is more powerful than a collect-weapons-and-wait-for-the-end strategy. The Displacer can upend players who have a combat strategy.

If you've played 10 games and combat focus is still winning, then I wonder what the issue would be. Mind games are my interest over combat, but maybe I am particularly good at that type of thing.

There are several variants in the rulebook, all of which have been vetted, which might be more your interest. The expansion, which I will publish when I get more $$ together, focuses less on combat and adds a bunch more mind game cards.

Well, these is good news, more mind game cards would be appreciated. When the expansion will come out in retail i'll definitely give it a chance. Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls