25 Posts

Ticket to Ride» Forums » General

Subject: Why buy TTR? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
I have TTR Europe, and will be getting TTR Marklin this week some time. I intend to get some, perhaps all, of the other expansions.

Each one builds on the base concept in a different way. So the simple question is this - why would I buy the original TTR? It seems to be the lesser item in comparison, and there's nothing it has that all the other versions don't also have (plus more).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont see the need to except for boasting rights
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Roskam
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly don't think you have to buy US... I own all TTRs except Marklin, and we definitely play Europe the most.

U.S. is a tighter map than Europe, with a few key routes players often race to get. The absence of train stations means you can get shut out of a city as well. If you want something that is more competitive than Europe, you might like it- otherwise a pass might be a good idea for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baker mouse
United States
brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think the expansions come with trains or train cards....just Ticket cards and a map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
I have TTR Europe, and will be getting TTR Marklin this week some time. I intend to get some, perhaps all, of the other expansions.

Each one builds on the base concept in a different way. So the simple question is this - why would I buy the original TTR? It seems to be the lesser item in comparison, and there's nothing it has that all the other versions don't also have (plus more).

Maybe it is the best intro for newbies to the concept without the fiddliness of extra rules and pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nilsson
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's the one I started with and I know I'm in the minority here but I prefer it over Europe. Although the routes can get a bit more clogged up than Europe I think it still plays great. The tunnels and locomotive tracks in Europe I'm not a huge fan of.
If you're already happy with Europe and are getting other expansions I don't think you need vanilla TTR, but for someone as a starting point it's not bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if you want Ticket to Ride: 10th Anniversary edition. Components are excellent in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Europe replaced it for me. It's just too vanilla for my tastes. I own all the maps/expansions and play USA the least. If I have new players I start them on Europe, and you can use Europe with all the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More isn't always better. I like all three but I personally prefer USA over Marklin and Europe. The topography that includes many 6-length links crossing the country makes for a very different feeling game than Europe or Marklin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
I too enjoy base TTR (with the 1910 cards) over TTR Europe. Although India and Asia are our personal favorites. It's all good, and it's another map and more maps are nice

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
painkiller wrote:
Only if you want Ticket to Ride: 10th Anniversary edition. Components are excellent in it.

Agreed. I started with Europe, got Nordic Countries next, and then wanted to go "backwards" and get the USA map. But the regular version with the tiny cards did not appeal to me at all, so I just remained patient and kept my eyes peeled until I found a cheap(er) ding and dent copy of the 10th Anniversary still in shrink for $50.

So for about the same price as getting regular TTR USA and the 1910 expansion I got the really nice map, the stylized trains, and normal sized cards (with the 1910 tickets included).

The only downside is that the bigger map meeds a big table to play it on. Haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just have USA and Europe. I've played 1910 and Nordic. I like them all. US is simpler rules, but the map can get nice and clogged which is where the interesting strategy comes in, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Cecchetti
Italy
Navacchio
PI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, you buy TTR because you are a TTR maniac, and you buy evry single expansion it comes out. there is no rational explanation to passions.
However, some TTR editions are really better than others. I really prefer Switzerland map, and its peculiarities, over the others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Raita
Finland
LOHJA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

I like the US version the most, probably because it's simple, yet requires elaborate strategy and tactics. In other version, perhaps Switzerland not included, you're strategy will be more guided by the tickets you get from the start. The original TTR will be more about the longest route and getting alot of six-length routes.

So, definetely one of my favorites, I wouldn't look over it just because it hasn't got any fancy bells and whistles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of the map I always* lose, usually in last place. Oh well, I still like playing it.

*I think I have won once
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wickens
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the US map is a strong map that works well with people new to the game but has enough interest to play well with all abilities.

The stations, ferries and tunnels of europe add a lot of extra rules which make the game a good chunk harder to introduce to non-gamers for their first game.

Having played several maps on the PC first I chose Europe over USA but it was a tight call and went a while later for the India/Switzerland expansion.

I am based in Europe but I do think were I based in US i would like the US map - the game is more fun when you have a connection to some of the locations on it.

I am more excited about buying the UK/Pennsylvania map coming out later this year than the USA map but would happily pick it up were the price right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Quinonez
United States
Woodland Hills
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're playing with Americans, the simplicity of the USA version is a great way to introduce non-gamers into board gaming.

It's far easier to convince my family to play the base USA version vs. Europe or others.

Other than that, I'll agree with sentiment here that other versions are better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Cecchetti
Italy
Navacchio
PI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TTR USA is very lovely. I prefer it over Europe, though I am from Europe.
The game, the original one, begins with this edition, with USA map. It is very risky to go for longest routes, playing in more than 3 players become a real hazard to try to do longest routes, that might means almos assuring you the winning of the game, because very often somebody would cut you out, reclaiming one of your crucial routes. It is really thrilling, it let you feel like you always are on the brink of failure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MCollier wrote:
colmmccarthy wrote:
I too enjoy base TTR (with the 1910 cards) over TTR Europe. Although India and Asia are our personal favorites. It's all good, and it's another map and more maps are nice

+1

+1 more

I've played US, Europe and Nordic Countries. While I like them all, and can certainly handle the extra tunnels, stations, etc., sometimes I don't feel like handling the extra. More maps are good, but the variety to fit my moods is good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Insano wrote:
It's the one I started with and I know I'm in the minority here but I prefer it over Europe. Although the routes can get a bit more clogged up than Europe I think it still plays great. The tunnels and locomotive tracks in Europe I'm not a huge fan of.
If you're already happy with Europe and are getting other expansions I don't think you need vanilla TTR, but for someone as a starting point it's not bad.

I owned and played a few of the different games but I enjoy the original, by far. It is stripped down with no extra rules and like others said, it's a tight board so it is tense in that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

My reasons NOT to bother with TtR when you already have Marklin and Europe:
1) everybody else already had TtR (US). It's such a popular game that you can just use their copy. Save the $50 and get another game, even if it's another TtR game!
However, if you enjoy TtR with 1910, most folks may not have that, and you're stuck with the original. In this case, consider playing Europe or Marklin anyways
2) As mentioned below, most of the other TtRs aren't that much more complex
3) I find the alternative maps and extra mechanics to be fun

pusboyau wrote:
Maybe it is the best intro for newbies to the concept without the fiddliness of extra rules and pieces.
It's a TtR game. It'll be simple enough in almost any case. Exceptions include Marklin, and getting that one player out of a large # where TtR US is just right, but even the bit of extra stuff in Europe makes their heads explode

bakermouse wrote:
I dont think the expansions come with trains or train cards....just Ticket cards and a map.
The following TtR games played on a board do NOT come with the train pieces nor Train cards....

-Swiss
-Nordic Countries EDIT: yeah, I recall this sucker was $50 for that reason!

anything in the volume collection (I think that's what this was called)
-Swiss + India (if you have this, Swiss above was redundant)
-Asia
-Heart Of Africa
-Deutschland

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
The following TtR games played on a board do NOT come with the train pieces nor Train cards....

-Swiss
-Nordic Countries

Nordic Countries is a full game. It comes with three sets of train cars (white, black, and purple), destination tickets, and a deck of train cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
[q="JasonJ0"]The following TtR games played on a board do NOT come with the train pieces nor Train cards....

-Swiss
-Nordic Countries EDIT: yeah, I recall this sucker was $50 for that reason!

anything in the volume collection (I think that's what this was called)
-Swiss + India (if you have this, Swiss above was redundant)
-Asia
-Heart Of Africa
-Deutschland

While Zug um Zug: Deutschland is a complete game, Nederland is not. Maybe that's what you meant...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls