Brendan Clark
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in playtesting a couple of Eastern Front Winter scenarios, your chance is coming up. These will be what Jim Krohn calls 'Print and Play' - the maps and scenarios will be available by download for free. Playtesting will be via Vassal, using an extension David Janik-Jones' has kindly put together for his Vassal BoB module.

The first scenario is 'Zhukov's First Strike', based on some chaotic fighting that took place near a small town called Klin, in Russia, on 6 December 1941. Having broken through the German frontline, advancing Russian forces attacked German infantry and artillery guns in the German rear. The Russians were then counter-attacked by a mixed force of tanks and infantry. This 10 turn scenario features:

> a German defending force at start of six squads, one MG WT, one Mortar WT, one x 37mm Gun, two 105mm Guns. Then reinforcements of five squads, one MG WT, and two x Pz IIIF tanks.

> an at start attacking Russian force of 13 squads, two MG WT, and two T26 tanks. With reinforcements coming on in later turns being five squads and four BT7 tanks.

Here's a link to the map for this scenario:
www.boardgamegeek.com/image/2625529/band-brothers-ghost-panz...

The second scenario is ‘Hold for 20 Minutes!’ It’s a classic Eastern Front winter scenario, with the Germans desperately trying to hold-off a mixed Russian force of a pack of T34 tanks and a mass of infantry attacking across the open Steppe. It’s based on fighting that took place in Gromovaja-Balka, in the Ukraine, on 28 February 1942. Be warned this one is a big scenario with a lot going on in 13 turns:

> a German defending force at start of 12 squads, four MG WT, two Mortar WT, one 37mm Gun, one 50mm Gun, Foxholes, Mines, and artillery support: 100 mm artillery and 80 mm mortars. Then reinforcements of three Stukas, four Squads, one Pz IVE tank and two Pz IIIG tanks.

> an at start attacking Russian force of 24 squads, two MG WT, four T34 M41 tanks, and one T34 M40, equipped with a flamethrower, and artillery support: three 3 x 100 mm artillery and 80 mm mortars. Then reinforcements of 12 squads and two MG WT.

Here's a link to the map for this scenario:
www.boardgamegeek.com/image/2625551/band-brothers-ghost-panz...

PM me if you’re keen to try either of these scenarios and I’ll send you more information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are excellent maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Evans
United Kingdom
St Ives
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeOberly wrote:
Those are excellent maps.
The layout is really cool (no pun intended ) but I think they'd look a lot better graphically if they were made using the same art assets and style (with a winter make over) of the reprinted maps coming out in the future. I could do this if anyone was interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Clark
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, thanks. I ought to explain that the maps for these two winter scenarios were drawn before I knew the second generation BoB maps were in the works. Mine were heavily influenced by some maps I'd seen that were developed by Neal Durando for a potential historical BoB module. For example, the house sizes were drawn to be closer to their likely size in a 40 yard hex and individual trees are shown, some being pine trees of the Russian Steppe. At the time of development, I shared the maps with Jim and he was happy enough with the style.

Now if you're offering to redesign these maps using the same layout but with the second generation map art that's ok with me. I see the obvious advantage of consistency though it would be good if you could retain some the elements of the Russian terrain: rural cottages, pine trees and deciduous trees without their foliage. An important consideration is whether you would match the terrain "footprint" of buildings, woods and contour lines as otherwise the LOS lines may be different to the map layout as playtested. What do you and others think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brengun wrote:
What do you and others think?
For standalone print-and-play maps which aren't intended to be geomorphically laid next to published maps, I am not bothered by you (or other scenario creators/artists) using your own art style, as long as it's still clear what the terrain types are. It seems kind of neat to see different styles, actually.

If a print-and-play map is intended to be combined with the published maps, then it should look at least pretty similar in style to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brengun wrote:

I REALLY like Neal's style, so I would say keep them the way they are. I especially like the true(r) to scale buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I was put off by the art style of those maps - the trees looked like weird dark snowflakes. Then I figured it out - these are bare trees without leaves. They are all right, at least the hexes where big and small trees are mixed together. But some of the hexes have only small trees, and they are too properly in line - does not look natural. Also the green trees are too green - they should have a little bit of snow on them.

This is just my opinion. I am also not fan of the cartoony graphics of the entire game, so I am ok with it being different.

But I really like the bigger, historic scenarios/maps you are creating. I am planning on getting it when the final version is released. Very good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Clark
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Juhan. In a sense, those lines of small trees are not 'natural' as they depict the influence of man on the landscape - they represent cultivated orchards. Perhaps the pine trees are too green but I should have mentioned (it's in the detail of the scenario) that this represents 'ground snow' - not especially heavy snowfall.

It can be said that snow should be on the pine trees and rooftops of the houses. You soon find though that if you add that level of detail it starts to become difficult to see the key terrain on the map!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mb
My intent for historical maps (that use an accurate representation of the exact terrain present) is that the houses will be to scale. It will be that way in the one day future historical modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Durando
France
Nantes
Pays de La Loire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SBGrad wrote:
Brengun wrote:

I REALLY like Neal's style, so I would say keep them the way they are. I especially like the true(r) to scale buildings.

Thanks a lot! I'm actually redoing them at the moment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Defense Linguistics wrote:
SBGrad wrote:
Brengun wrote:

Thanks a lot! I'm actually redoing them at the moment...

...and I owe you an email. Thanks for the reminder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls