Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should I wait for WQ:ACG or get SH: DA now? I'm a PACG player and I've never played SH: DA, but the gameplay videos and reviews have me intrigued. WQ:ACG seems to share a great deal with SH, am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very quick reply:

They look very different. Death Angel is a quick little one off type of game that happens to kinda share a similar mechanic or two with WQ:ACG. I think it's fun, lots of other people disagree, but fully expect WQ to be a much more interesting and long-lasting experience. There is definitely a LOT less meat to Death Angel: there is no campaign, there is very very little variety, there is really no attempt to make it 'feel' like a dungeon crawl.

Honestly I don't fully understand how this comparison keeps popping up. They are pretty different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sadler
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualToast wrote:
Very quick reply:

They look very different. Death Angel is a quick little one off type of game that happens to kinda share a similar mechanic or two with WQ:ACG. I think it's fun, lots of other people disagree, but fully expect WQ to be a much more interesting and long-lasting experience. There is definitely a LOT less meat to Death Angel: there is no campaign, there is very very little variety, there is really no attempt to make it 'feel' like a dungeon crawl.

Honestly I don't fully understand how this comparison keeps popping up. They are pretty different.

Yes, they are very different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davide C
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think that another point that might have raised the comments is the action card mechanic: each character (team in Space Hulk) has a limited number of action cards, each card does something in common with those of all other characters and something special and unique, and the choice of action card is somehow limited (in SH you can't use the same card for two turns in a row, in WHQ you have to somehow refresh a card before using it again). Another point is the dungeon progression mechanic, that sees drawing location cards from a deck as progress is made.
I agree anyway that they look very different under many other points of view, in particular the progression mechanic and the campaign systme, the fact that different enemies behave very differently, the existence of different scenario with special rules, and the way positioning and engagement work. I have the feeling that WHQ is going to be a much more varied and fleshed out game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Space Hulk: Death Angel, even though it can be very deadly, but I still plan on giving WHQ:ACG a play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To add another reason to wait for WHQ: Death Angel does already have a few small expansions, but in my opinion they didn't change up the game THAT much. Eventually I just got bored of the game as it all felt the same, regardless of the random "scenario" and any expansions. WHQ sounds much more variable and I'm sure it will be supported with new scenarios over time that will increase its replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not get both? SH:DA is cheap, doesn't take up much space, and is available now. WQ won't be out for another month at the very least. You could play a lot of games of SH:DA between now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm pleased to hear that this is nothing like SH: DA. I didn't really get on with that game at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I own a lot of miniature-Dungeon Crawlers I think I'm in for this.
If only to say thank you to the game-designers for their wonderful work on myth and for being present in these forums

Now do I get a cookie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
In my opinion SH is about a 9 out of 10 for the first ten or so plays. After that it really drops to about a 4 or 5. Certainly never bad, but once the sheen wears off its just too random and your many losses always feel like they were out of your control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Death angel is a total turd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
zombie plumber wrote:
Death angel is a total turd

Haha. Tad aggressive of a review

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aww poor Death Angel. I think that game deserves a bit more credit. We had a ton of fun with it on breaks at work, which is sort of what I think it was for.

There's nothing that carries over between games, there's no gear or persistent stuff -- you just randomly select your dudes and give it a go hoping this is one of the rare times you eek out a victory with some clutch die rolls and everyone cheers.

If you're expecting something deeper from Death Angel than a quick little thematic card/dice lark you're definitely setting yourself up for disappointment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Cromer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
goo

I will have to disagree with most of the people on here.
Space Hulk : Death Angel is a great game.
Its fast and its fun.
Yes its tough at times.

This new game Warhammer Quest will be similar.
Fast and tough. I just hope its as good as SHA.

THE FABULOUS FREEBIRD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Waleke
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Except Colt Express!
badge
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." Douglas Adams
mbmbmbmbmb
Freebird1956 wrote:
goo

I will have to disagree with most of the people on here.
Space Hulk : Death Angel is a great game.
Its fast and its fun.
Yes its tough at times.

This new game Warhammer Quest will be similar.
Fast and tough. I just hope its as good as SHA.

THE FABULOUS FREEBIRD

I love the auto emoji insert in that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Death Angel is an objective, solid 8/10. All claims to the contrary are the ravings of lunatics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai
United States
flag msg tools
I have a lot of respect for Death Angel because of how much game it fits in such a small, cheap ($20 or less) product. It's a clever design that does a really good job of giving you a full board game feel (complete with the spatial layout of a dungeon crawler) with nothing but cards (and one die) as components, and the gameplay does elicit some genuine tension and excitement. That said....

NinjaGigolo wrote:
In my opinion SH is about a 9 out of 10 for the first ten or so plays. After that it really drops to about a 4 or 5. Certainly never bad, but once the sheen wears off its just too random and your many losses always feel like they were out of your control.

I have to echo Josh's sentiments. I loved Death Angel the first few times I played it, but that opinion has diminished significantly over the past year. I now find it too simple, too random, and too long to enjoy playing it any more. The length is the real killer, because for such a relatively light, simple game, it tends to drag and thus becomes tedious.

So, that's not really a strong recommendation for Death Angel, although the first half-dozen plays are probably strong enough to justify the cost, and it makes a good travel/solo game, too, which is why I still own my copy. Having not actually played WHQACG, it looks like it would be a better, more enjoyable game for me. But really, there's no other option than to wait and see how it is when the reviews start coming out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualToast wrote:
Aww poor Death Angel. I think that game deserves a bit more credit. We had a ton of fun with it on breaks at work, which is sort of what I think it was for.

There's nothing that carries over between games, there's no gear or persistent stuff -- you just randomly select your dudes and give it a go hoping this is one of the rare times you eek out a victory with some clutch die rolls and everyone cheers.

Sort of like....Space Hulk...

But without the movement options...and in card form.

Wow...what a great idea!

Make a game with similar outcomes of Space Hulk...but in card form...

whistle

Seriously though, one of the big differences is that SH has movement involved which is a very large portion of figuring out what to do and how to play the game. Still, the I love Death Angel also, and it's more portable which is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer my own question at the start of this thread, I chose instead to get Shadowrun: Crossfire while I wait for WhQ:ACG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaGigolo wrote:

A game widely available for $15 gave you 10 hour-long plays that were 9 out of 10 and that's a bad deal?

Death Angel is an ingenious distillation of Space Hulk into a soloable deck of cards. I think anyone that enjoyed Space Hulk but not what Death Angel accomplished needs their expectations adjusted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.