Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Familiars, Rift Crystals, and Shadow Puppet rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Silidus
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools

The quest "Into the Darkness Encounter 2" has a final objective to destroy a rift crystal.

The rift crystal states, a hero adjacent to the rift crystal may attack the rift crystal as if it were a monster.

Question 1:
Can a familiar (such as the reanimate) attack the crystal? (I am assuming not, since the rift crystal effect is not an overlord card, and therefore the figure is not treated as a hero).

Question 2:

Shadow Puppet
Action: Exhaust this card to choose a monster within 3 spaces of a Shadow Soul. Perform an attack with that Shadow Soul, using the attack type, dice, and surge abilities of that monster.

Since this 'action' is a hero ability, can a shadow soul adjacent to the rift crystal attack it? Is it the hero performing the attack? Can the hero attack it (through the shadow soul) if the hero is NOT adjacent to the crystal (but the shadow soul is)? What about if the hero IS adjacent to the Rift Crystal?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Definite no. Quest rules saying "hero" just mean "hero," nothing else.

2) Still no. Even though it is a hero ability, you still have the situation of a shadow soul (a familiar, not even a "familiar treated as figure") trying to attack the rift crystal, which can only be attacked by heroes, as previously mentioned.

Examples of things that would work:

Geomancer's "Earthen Anguish"
Conjurer's "Channeling"

In both of those cases it is the hero attacking, merely using the remote tokens for targeting purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silidus
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Thanks.

That is pretty much inline with my interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uru uru
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zaltyre wrote:
1) Definite no. Quest rules saying "hero" just mean "hero," nothing else.

2) Still no. Even though it is a hero ability, you still have the situation of a shadow soul (a familiar, not even a "familiar treated as figure") trying to attack the rift crystal, which can only be attacked by heroes, as previously mentioned.

Examples of things that would work:

Geomancer's "Earthen Anguish"
Conjurer's "Channeling"

In both of those cases it is the hero attacking, merely using the remote tokens for targeting purposes.

I would have had a very different interpretation :-p

As the rift is treated as monster, I would have let the reanimated (familiar treated as hero) attack it. Same for the Wolf.

On the other hand, the shadow soul make its attack with the attack pool of the monster (in this case the rift), which does not have an attack pool.

So basically you make an attack with no dice resulting in ... No damage :-p

But that is just my point of view.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uru, thanks for voicing your opinion. However, I believe your reasoning is incorrect.

In the rulebook/FAQ, it states that familiars treated as figures are considered heroes for the purpose of attacks- that provision allows them to be attacked by monsters. However, that same section clearly explains that special quest rules which apply to heroes DO NOT apply to those familiars unless stated otherwise.

The rift crystal is not a monster. The only reason heroes can attack it is because of the special quest rules which say they can. As stated in the FAQ, the wolf and reanimate are clearly not considered "heroes" when it comes to quest special rules. Because the rift crystal is not something that can ordinarily be attacked by heroes (it is not a monster figure), it cannot be attacked at all except for the provision which covers heroes, but not familiars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls