Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Simple question on combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kesavan sittampalam
Singapore
Alaska
flag msg tools
In a single combat encounter, can i use both a spell and a weapon?

I understand I am allowed to use more than one weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, but it.+X bonuses still don't stack. You could, however, cast Wither or Intervention knowing the flip side has a reroll effect or something else useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use any possessions you have as long as they aren't providing the same sort of attribute bonus. So you can't use a pistol and the Wither spell, because both provide +

Specific examples might help to be sure what you have in mind does work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oded K
msg tools
Note that you can still attempt the wither spell and use any non "+ STR" bonus it gives you (some copies of wither can give other modifiers with good enough rolls), but if the only bonus it gives you is a lower or equal STR bonus to the weapon you use, you might as well just use the weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kesavan sittampalam
Singapore
Alaska
flag msg tools
I appreciate all your kind replies, but I am vexed as to why the rulebook, as far as i know, does not deal with weapon-spell combos and the do/do-nots.

Besides, how sure can I be that all the answers here, however well meant, are authoritative.

I would be grateful for any leads.....have I missed out anything in the literature?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
The spirit of BGG as expressed by Esgaldil: "We lose nothing by trying to be helpful"
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you read the "Tests" section of the Reference Guide? I think it clearly explains how to resolve tests. It does not mention Weapons or Assets or Spells or Artifacts specifically; it just talks about "effects" which common sense indicates includes effects from all of the above (and perhaps more). There is no distinction in the rules between Weapon effects and Spell effects in resolving tests. One might just as well ask if effects from Artifacts can be combined with effects from Assets or if effects from Tomes can be combined with effects from Allies, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BitJam speaks the truth. I don't have the rules in front of me but I had to review the rules in a game last night, and the test section states something along the lines of:

"To determine the size of the dice pool in a test, use the following:

1) Take the value of the corresponding stat on the investigator sheet

2) Add the proper number of influence tokens

3) Add a single +[Stat] bonus from all your items

4) Add any "additional dice" from other effects

5) If the test calls for a modified roll, i.e. [Stat]-2, add or subtract the proper number of dice.

6) If this total is less than 1, roll a single dice to resolve the test"

Since this algorithm doesn't care whether dice come from weapons or spells, there is no need, in terms of game mechanics, to distinguish between them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kesavan sittampalam
Singapore
Alaska
flag msg tools
Ok...thats good for me

We r doing Eldritch this friday after a lapse of 5 months.

Thank you all for your patience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hamel
United States
Pacific
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When an investigator resolves a test, he performs the following steps:
1. Determine Dice Pool: The investigator determines the number of dice he will roll. This number is his dice pool.
• He starts with a number equal to the skill being tested.
• He adds or subtracts the test modifier (the number that follows the skill icon on the effect).
• If he has an Improvement token for the skill being tested, he adds the Improvement token’s modifier.
• He may use one effect that provides a bonus (for example “Gain +3 strength). If multiple effects provide a bonus, he uses only the highest bonus.
• He adds any “additional dice” he gains from effects that apply. Additional dice are cumulative and are in addition to other effects.

2. Roll Dice: He rolls a number of dice equal to his dice pool.
• If an investigator’s dice pool is below 1, he rolls 1 die instead.
• If an investigator’s dice pool is greater than the number of dice available, he rolls as many dice as possible, counts his successes, and rolls the dice again until he has rolled a number of
dice equal to his dice pool.

This means:
That (+X Skill) does NOT stack
You can of course use different (+X Skills) such as (+X Will) & (+X strength)
All other effects that do NOT state (+X Skills) DO stack.

Q. Can an investigator use multiple weapons during combat?
A. An investigator can apply only a single bonus to a
test. However, he may use any other effects from his other
possessions. For example, if an investigator has a Bull Whip
Asset and a .45 Automatic Asset, he may apply the +3 bonus
from the .45 to his 'Strength' instead of the +1 bonus from the whip,
and he may reroll one die by using the whip’s other effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls