Dominick Allen
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone knew, or has just brought the new 2015 reprint if they have fixed the various typos and minor mistakes in previous versions, or if it is just a exact reprint from the 80s edition.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Domdombear wrote:
Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone knew, or has just brought the new 2015 reprint if they have fixed the various typos and minor mistakes in previous versions, or if it is just a exact reprint from the 80s edition.

Cheers

It won't be EXACT reprint from 80's version, because there was deliberate rewrite of some cases and case order was changed since 80's version.

I haven't seen the 2015 version - but 2012 had:
- some OCR errors (like the 80 version was scanned, and WRONG word was recognised and NOBODY proofread the text before printing)
- Some error concerning district codes (most visible in ally list on the back of manual) and some names was strange.
For example in first case
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Location 5 EC in introduction and Clues sections is "Grant Arms Company"- in Holmes section of solution is 5EC "Grant Society of Armaments"

Which proves that no competent blind testing (and proofreading) was done with 2012 printing.

SO I'm also interested if these small errors were corrected in 2015 version. SHCD is type of game that is EXTREMELY hard to give spoilerless errata. So it would be helpful to know if I can endorse that printing as spotless or should I advise caution....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
rafal100 wrote:
Domdombear wrote:
Hello,

Cheers

It won't be EXACT reprint from 80's version, because there was deliberate rewrite of some cases and case order was changed since 80's version.

I haven't seen the 2015 version - but 2012 had:
- some OCR errors (like the 80 version was scanned, and WRONG word was recognised and NOBODY proofread the text before printing)
- Some error concerning district codes (most visible in ally list on the back of manual) and some names was strange.
For example in first case
Location 5 EC in introduction and Clues sections is "Grant Arms Company"- in Holmes section of solution is 5EC "Grant Society of Armaments"

Which proves that no competent blind testing (and proofreading) was done with 2012 printing.

SO I'm also interested if these small errors were corrected in 2015 version. SHCD is type of game that is EXTREMELY hard to give spoilerless errata. So it would be helpful to know if I can endorse that printing as spotless or should I advise caution....

I think where the 2012 edition had some issues was that it was a French publisher, so they translated the 80s version to French (with some tweaks), but then where they hit some bumps was translating it back to English for the English publication. For example, in your spoiler,
Society is a French word for Company.

Also some of the directions had the same issue, like Sud Ouest is French for Southwest, so instead of abbreviating it SW, it got abbreviated SO.

Blind testing and proofreading would definitely have helped, but I think a competent translator would also have helped cool

Anyway that might help you understand the "strangeness" and district code errors, in most case you can trace it back to the original (of that edition) French word for the given word...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Salazar
msg tools
mb
so, can anyone give a straight answer if the errors are already corrected in the 2015 reprint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thane Mullen
Canada
Easton
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every issue that I have seen reported from the 2011-12 version is also in the 2015 version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Mowery
United States
Hermitage
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tem117 wrote:
Every issue that I have seen reported from the 2011-12 version is also in the 2015 version.

Ugh. There is no excuse for that. What a drag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the nature if the issues? Do they affect playability or is it a word spelled incorrectly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis M
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never experienced a game-breaking typo or error. Some things Sherlock says about how he solved the case are dubious in 1-2 cases, but nothing affects your ability to solve a case. Most of them are like like if somebody says they stayed at the Red Door Inn and then in the directory it's called the Red Door Hotel or somebody is named 'Liffy' because the translation tool mistook the l for an f.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've long owned the game but haven't played deeply into it yet.

For a lark I watched Rahdo's Final Thoughts just now, and he claims one case -- one with a decoder element -- is messed up in such a way as to make the cypher decrypt into gibberish. Which case is this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis M
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Five (Cryptic Corpse) has a cipher as it's main element (it's in the opening story of the case), but our group was able to solve it. I wasn't one of the people working on the cipher (and it was almost a year ago at this point), but I believe the clue you eventually get for it leads you to assume you should be using the wrong number, but there are some signs of the correct number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.