Popular Tags: [View All]
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of getting a tablet netbook thing. Obviously by my use of the term "thing" I'm not a tech guy and way out of date.

I'm wondering if I need the disc to run the game or if it's just downloaded off the disc and run from a file. If that's the case couldn't I download off the disc (using my desktop) onto a thumb drive and then load all the run files onto the netbook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It'd probably be better to create an ISO file and use something like Daemon Tools Lite to mount the ISO on your tablet/netbook (assuming you get a Windows-based one. No idea what to do for Mac/iOS).

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-ISO-File
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a lot of options if you go Mac - You could get a laptop and run Windows in virtualization software (Parallels, VMWare Fusion, BootCamp, etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game myself. You can try to copy the files from the CD to your portable. If that doesn't work the ISO route Moe suggested will almost certainly work for you.

Be aware that if you get a Windows tablet/netbook that you have to make sure it will run a x86 Windows that will run normal software. Many of these smaller devices use ARM processors (like Smartphones) which do not run the same software as 'regular' PCs. Windows RT tablets with the right CPU are also known to only run software from the Windows App Store – which means no CD games. Netbooks describes a category of very small devices and includes differing technology, so be careful if you are not techy.

Netbooks are not doing well, they are generally underpowered and have mostly lost against tablets for simple web browsing use, or ultrabooks for people that need a thin light proper computer. To borrow your phrase, Netbooks are quite out of date. If you can find a low powered tablet/netbook with an Intel compatible chip then it should be ok for this game (I think the 4 GB RAM recommended is just a wild guess that more is better). You should also be fine for other light things like running most VASSAL modules. If you want an actual computer that can do more then you'd probably be better off with either a 'regular' laptop, or an ultrabook if you can afford it. Ultrabooks try to combine the thin and small of netbooks with regular computer parts that make it go like a regular computer. Think Apple MacBook Air or similar PC models. If you go Apple the MacBook Air will work if you also use something to run Windows, dual boot, or virtualization (software that let's you run Windows on your Mac). Any PC ultrabook model should run this game just fine. Be aware that modern laptops like MacBook Air don't include a built-in optical drive (for the CD), so that is an extra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for explaining all that in plain language. It's annoying when people drop tech terms all over the place. I don't know if they do it out of habit or to make themselves feel smarter, but it's annoying.

It sounds like maybe I should look into a really compact laptop then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls