Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Variants

Subject: Deep Space K-7 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Custom [+] Naves [+] [View All]
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While I was working to make a corrected version of the Terok Nor template, I figured, may as well make a template for this K-7 station model I have sitting around.

For a stat line, I made it less powerful than DS9, though I had thought about giving it Shields 9. From the episode, it seemed like the Klingons would rather take out the station indirectly, rather than straight up attack, so it must have been somewhat difficult to destroy (at least for TOS ships).

For other upgrades I had thought about:

John Lurry - "Captain" - (Stations only) Action: Disable a Captain on a Friendly ship at Range 1-3, then Disable a Captain on an Enemy ship at Range 1-3.

Sensors Crew - (Stations only) Grant free target lock action (to pair up with the ability of K7 and make DS9 more useful).

Repair Team - (Station only) Action : Repair 2 shield tokens, not to exceed your starting value. You may not attack this round.

Might also be a good use of Timing Tokens on the Repair Team - place 4 tokens on them, so they can enact repairs every 3 turns for a free action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Eartl makes a good scale model for it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup - exactly the one I was thinking of

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Been looking at photos of the movement template that came with the DS9 Retail pack, and I think this is about right:

Print at 300 DPI and it should be close to correct.

The images for 45 deg and U turn were taken from a photo of the template.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What am I missing? Why would you use Lurry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It was more thematic than useful. He was more of an impediment than a help in the episode.

But, it could find use.

I picture him as a low end Captain Skill (2-5), so his action occurs near the end of the round, it can be used to force initiative order (and prevent an opposing capt skill) from being used.

Since you get to choose the captains to be impacted, when picking your own captain it could have minimal or positive impact :
- Pick a ship out of enemy range
- Pick a ship that is performing repairs or focused on Defensive/running
- Pick a captain of a lower skill that you could then "enable" immediately after
- This could allow your high level captain to Move first (though you would have to "enable" and lose your action (but not lose free actions).
- Could have an upgrade on your build to take the 'Disable' instead of the Captain.

There are tactical uses for it - just have to be creative.

Alternatively, could make it prevent either ship from firing (even more thematic), but I thought this would be different from the norm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Much as I like the theme (and I do), I think all cards should be useful. I end up as a Federation players playing a couple of captains 90% of the time with a few others that show up in special circumstances. I think the game would be better if ALL the captains saw frequent play because they were all useful.

We all loath some characters in Star Trek (because we're supposed to, they're bad guys or corrupt or crazy) but if they have a card in STAW, it should be a useful one and it's point cost should correlate to that usefulness.

I know it's hopeless to think it will ever be that way but if we're going to make up cards, let's make them good ones that people would like to play. OR you can make the cost of the card 0 and maybe he gets played for laughs. Or maybe the bad ones are even negative points -- correlating to "disadvantages" in Roleplaying characters.

I'm wondering how many points you'd have to pay me to play some of WK's cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate that, and fair enough on your points - I could see him being somewhat useful, just not exceptionally useful.

I didn't list a cost on him - but I had imagined him being a low end captain in skill and cost (my initial thought was Skill 3, Cost 1).

I also feel like he is part of subcontracting company to Starfleet

But, we could try another ability, how about something to relieve the stress ?

Action : Remove an Auxiliary Power token from a ship in Range 1-2 and apply it to the Station instead.

or

Action : Choose a Friendly ship at Range 1-3 and increase the Captain's Skill by +3 for the duration of the Combat Phase. (Basically, using the station's sensor grid and his talents to aid in the combat phase - but, if you have a lot of low level captains against high end ones, it still may be ultimately useless)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never saw the ability on Lurry as being inappropriate/overcosted, and here's why: Federation faction. You can use it to knock your opponent's faster firing ship down to the bottom of the firing order, and because the friendly Captain you knock out is probably also Federation faction, it'll fire before the enemy's disabled Captain, which is game changing. Plus, if nothing else, it's action denial while they re-enable their Captain, which can still really screw with a lot of fine-tuned builds. While it's true there's a much cheaper Captain disable out in the meta somewhere - Borg Data - this one still holds its own as being reasonable when considering the faction advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls