Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Von Batman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hey everyone,
I'm currently working figuring out the puzzle of creating a laser cut insert for Cthulhu Wars and I was looking to get some opinions or insight from others that have played the game and pondered a better organization method.
Right now my design has 2 removable bins (bottom left corner) for the core game gates, spell books, dice, and tokens. The rest of the insert is a series of inserts that stay in the box and a removable tray from some minis and a removable tray that holds the 6 cultists, one for each faction.
All minis stand on their base except Cthulhu since he's just far too tall.
The big downside of this insert is for those who want to keep their minis hyper protected with a pure foam solution. I personally don't have much worry for this. I paint all my minis. All my RPG minis bang around in a big plastic storage bin for DM-ing and I've yet to have and manage since I protective coat each one but I hear it happens.
Since my focus is on storage and ease of setup & packup this insert concept will need to stay as an all wood solution since I want the box to close cleanly.

As soon as I get the upper layer of the insert complete I'll share that so I can get more insight from everyone. I'm still trying to find ways to handle all the Kickstarter items that are core game upgrade components such as the first player marker or plastic gates. I know I can easily fit the new dice but adding anymore plastic to this box may be impossible without Tardis Technology. If anyone has access to Tardis technology please let me know, you would be my new best friend.

Future expansions factions, like my soon to arrive Windwalker faction, will be getting their own independent box that is similar in size so they are easily stack-able and look nice on a shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool project, I'll be keeping an eye on it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent idea !
The only risk is indeed wood panels versus painted minis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you could line each compartment with a thin layer of foam or felt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Von Batman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I have brought a great addition to awoken evil in this world. I give you, my Cthulhu Wars insert initial prototype.

The lower layer has a figures tray with removable cultist trays for each core faction. There is a removable box for gates and spellbooks and another removable tray for elder signs, faction tokens and markers.

Here we can see the easy access cultist trays to assure recruiting the simple minded humans into your cult of your selected Elder God is easy and organized. Every good cult need organization.

The upper layer of the insert adds more room for figures. I wanted to have a tray for each faction but that would mean you need to have 4 large trays added to a table top that will already be seriously filled to capacity already. We can all blame/high-five Sandy and his design crew for this.
A dice box sits on this layer which can hold many more dice than the core game comes with for those who want to later add their Kickstarter engraved dice (which I do). There should also be room for the figure 1st player marker in this region as well.
Cthulhu sleeps with in own bed tray so he can safely rest until summoned. His tray also hold the black bag and cards. I will also add a thin foam lining to the bedding to assure he will stay safe since he's the only figure that must sit on its side due to its height.

All the maps, books, tracks fit without issue and after a measurement it looks like it has room for another single map square worth of thickness for any other items you want to add. The box closes completely which is important to me since this box is already big enough.

I needed to add supports to make sure the trays would not slide and impact the minis. I'm in the process of painting mine and don't want them banging around too much even though I have great faith in my protective clear coats abilities. Instead of having bland panels I added some wonderfully evil tentacle designs as tribute to a great looking game that should on have a great looking storage solution.

I have a few minor adjustments to make that would really be visually apparent to most, such as widening a few token trays so retrievability is never an issue.
Adding thin craft foam to the walls of trays is an option to make sure everything is 100% safe. I'm going to add a green base to the box so the tentacles and minis really visually pop. I'm all for the personal touches.

Opinions? Questions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Opinion:
Awesome.

I would have added inner walls for each mini (or at least each larger than a cultist). This would limit the bumping (though some glued felt/foam would do the job), but mostly would be handier when you store your box vertically (which I do quite often).
Also, I would have added outer walls to the dark young and GOO areas, and made higher walls for the Cthulhu compartment.

Question:
Do you take any orders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks fantastic so far!

I agree that outer walls would be nice. If individual dividers for monsters is feasible and won't raise the price too much, that would be a great upgrade as well.

Do you have any sort of price estimate yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Von Batman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Roolz wrote:
Opinion:
Awesome.

I would have added inner walls for each mini (or at least each larger than a cultist). This would limit the bumping (though some glued felt/foam would do the job), but mostly would be handier when you store your box vertically (which I do quite often).
Also, I would have added outer walls to the dark young and GOO areas, and made higher walls for the Cthulhu compartment.

Question:
Do you take any orders?

My goal is to get this added to my current Kickstarter campaign for board game inserts. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thinkertinkermaker/thin...
But I wanted my fellow gamers input on it to make sure the insert is exactly what we want. Since I will be using this insert too I wanted to make sure my copy of it was also awesome by getting all the insight from those who play CW.

Inner Walls:
So you like the idea of having a compartment for each mini individually? I've pondered that. My main aversion to that was to avoid a wing or tentacle getting stuck on a divider but maybe. Maybe I can try adding sub dividers (dividers not as tall as the main walls). This could add a bit of division between minis. I would add a lot of extra complexity to a already large insert and also add cost to shipping weight and I didn't want that to be an even bigger hindrance than it already is. I'll play around with that idea.

Sideways storage may not be a great idea for this insert. When I do sideways storage I add specific support sections that help keep things in place. I did add keys to each tray so that when is tilted greatly when removing it from a shelf the trays stay put and don't press against a painted figure. I also like to add lids to all token trays. If I added those to this CW insert I would worry that I might not have either the room left to fit everything or I'd further worry about a great increase in the insert weight and assembly complexity.

Thank you for the input and I'm glad you like it so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I would not store the box on its side. That just seems risky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Von Batman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
dboeren wrote:
Looks fantastic so far!

I agree that outer walls would be nice. If individual dividers for monsters is feasible and won't raise the price too much, that would be a great upgrade as well.

Do you have any sort of price estimate yet?

When each of your ware talking about "outer wall" do you mean large divider walls the separate each GOO much like that larger central tentacle designed map containment/support fin?

Pricing wise. Its good bit bigger than my Star Wars Imperial Assault insert and I'm thinking I might be adding a few more dividers and panels here and there but I still want to keep it reasonable. The foam inserts go for $57. My Star Wars insert goes for $37. So I'm I'm aiming for mid 40's. It all depends on how much more I add to it, which increases cut time and materials.

Whats your feeling on that? This is like a Super mini gamer survey.

The biggest issue after this is to actually get enough people that want it so I can stop using my local maker space to make my prototypes and get a full sized machine to handle a production run of these inserts. Design and production engineering, no problem, Promotion and marketing..still working on figuring that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By "outer wall" I am referring to a wall that separates the Dark Young/GOOs from the cardboard of the box. Outer in the sense that it's part of the perimeter of the entire insert.

$40's seems reasonable for what you're getting. Right now I've got all the figures in bags and this would improve organization, setup time, and protect the minis better in case I eventually paint them.

Are you planning to make a similar insert for the add-on stuff too when the time comes? I'd like my additional factions, neutral GOOs, and neutral monsters to ride in style too.

Oh, and one more idea... War of the Ring could maybe use a nice set of dividers too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magnets. those tiny round magnets from china that cost like .15 cents each.

Figures with a magnet held on the bottom board will work awesome-ly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Von Batman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ppayes wrote:
magnets. those tiny round magnets from china that cost like .15 cents each.

Figures with a magnet held on the bottovm board will work awesome-ly

I've had people add some magnet paper to my Star Wars trays and added a tiny magnet to each base and they say it works great to keep their minis in place for bumpy travels on a bus or the subway on their way to a game session. That's a great DIY customization option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Von Batman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Indeed. I plan to make an insert for each add-on. If the extra factions don't have great long term packaging, such as a blister pack, then I will make a full box storage option for each group and keep them a normal size so they all stack together cleanly. May also include a Kickstarter exclusives box so I have storage options for plastic gates and other add-on items that don't belong to specific faction boxes or fit in the core box.

I'll look over my model to see what other separation options I can add without making figures cram together.

War of the Ring. I'll add that to my list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring has a set of sculpted 3d party strongholds and Mount Doom (two different sculpts) that would be great to include, but I am not sure if there is a way to fit them in the original box or not. It would be great if there was though. Over 150 sets of strongholds are "in the wild" so far and there is a waiting list for people still waiting to buy them.

If you contact sickdave here on the BGG forums (he makes them) he should be able to give you their dimensions.

Fingers crossed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Von Batman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Does anyone know the dimensions for either of the 1st player marker figures that are set to ship in the near future? I want to make sure that this insert has a section that it can stored for those who selected that option if there is room for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks fantastic and is a viable option for storage! You have my interest for sure.

UPDATE: Pledged the Kickstarter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Von Batman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
It's Complete!
I am rather happy with the upgrades.

Please excuse the white modeling putty on my Elder Gods. I'm prepping for paint. The Elder Gods demand no seam lines show! The boxes have excess black smudges on them due to my dirty fingers having just finished assembling a Sheriff of Nottingham insert which had some charcoaled edges due to a bit of laser overburn during setup.

Updates: I've added dividers to separate each mini within a group. These are shorter dividers so its easy to tell where each dividing line between different creature types exist. A small divider was added to separate the Dark Young. I added creature label engraving to the tray walls. The dice tray was increased in size in case you want to fit the core set of dice and up to two sets of the engraved Kickstarter dice (maybe even three, need to test that). All the token boxes for spell books and gates are easier to get to. Previously my fingers had to focus on getting a perfect removal of each spell section. Side wall around the perimieter of the box was not an option. It added too much extra material and added too much weight and also made it too tight a fit or He Who Should Not Be Named (the big yellow one, don't make me say it). This will be an option on the Kickstarter this week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, that's looking awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Von Batman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Cthulhu Wars insert is now a pledge option on the Kickstarter. It's set at $54 shipped to anywhere in the Continental USA.
Hope everyone likes it
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thinkertinkermaker/thin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First! Question though... I notice you're only about 1/3rd of the way to fulfilling your goal. What's the plan if you don't make it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Von Batman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
dboeren wrote:
First! Question though... I notice you're only about 1/3rd of the way to fulfilling your goal. What's the plan if you don't make it?

Thank you for your support!!!

A very valid question and concern.

First I slowly rock my self back and forth all sad like.

Then I recover an pounce on a relaunch at a lower $ goal like a puma!

I'll just apply a bit more my personal savings towards a laser cutter and maybe get a little loan. I'm going to make this happen. I really enjoy making these inserts. They are a great brain puzzle and I want other people who like to have organized games that look great too also have access to them.

My biggest issues for this Kickstarter was a bad initial setup to shipping, I've since corrected much of that, and not understanding marketing well enough to get the work out. I just sent a message to Sandy himself in the hopes that maybe he can give a shout out to give a little boost since he's a fellow Kickstarter. I'm working on new methods to get more of the word out so that it will launch much stronger next time if failure is an option for round one. My goal is that a relaunch will only add a short one month delay in the delivery time of inserts to backers as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
DPO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
sneakyninja wrote:
dboeren wrote:

Thank you for your support!!!

A very valid question and concern.

First I slowly rock my self back and forth all sad like.

Then I recover an pounce on a relaunch at a lower $ goal like a puma!

I'll just apply a bit more my personal savings towards a laser cutter and maybe get a little loan. I'm going to make this happen. I really enjoy making these inserts. They are a great brain puzzle and I want other people who like to have organized games that look great too also have access to them.

My biggest issues for this Kickstarter was a bad initial setup to shipping, I've since corrected much of that, and not understanding marketing well enough to get the work out. I just sent a message to Sandy himself in the hopes that maybe he can give a shout out to give a little boost since he's a fellow Kickstarter. I'm working on new methods to get more of the word out so that it will launch much stronger next time if failure is an option for round one. My goal is that a relaunch will only add a short one month delay in the delivery time of inserts to backers as well.

I like the idea but as a DVM backer I will wait until I get everything and then assess an overall storage solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rufus Glyn
United Kingdom
Wimborne
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woo this is awesome, will it be able to hold another faction? As the base Kickstarter got a 5th faction which should be arriving in the next month or 2?

I've backed anyhoo, I'm happy to hold off if a redesigned one with 5th faction is possible till this one is created. The cost seems a little steep but just what I need, but thanks for your hard work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Prince Albert
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Have you taken a look at the expansion videos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls