Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: GOP Voter Outreach to Women rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
11 
 Thumb up
0.07
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
Abortion isn't restricted very much. The majority of the public is against late-term abortion, so the Rebublicans are a better fit for most women who aren't radical feminists.


Nationally, it isn't. State by state, it is, drastically. Take Missouri. Through a wide variety of legislation initiatives, now there's only one clinic left in the state that will perform abortions. They are having trouble forcing it to close, so instead the last move was adding some nice, mandatory waiting period. You have to go, in person, to the clinic, wait 3 days, then come back. It you are in St Louis, it might be shitty, but it's not all that onerous. But what if you are now a white, middle class white woman living in st louis, but you live hours away? What if you don't own your own car? Suddenly, the waiting period asks you for 2 trips, or 3 days at a hotel, probably losing work time. Suddenly abortion is technically legal, but pretty hard to access for the poor. Those with money would have been served just as well if it was illegal in the state, and taking a trip to NY, just like rich girls could always get abortions in Spain's Franco by making a trip to the UK or France.

You can get stories like this in many other conservative states. Technically legal and available, in practice, not so much.
15 
 Thumb up
1.07
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
hibikir wrote:
CapNClassic wrote:
Abortion isn't restricted very much. The majority of the public is against late-term abortion, so the Rebublicans are a better fit for most women who aren't radical feminists.


Nationally, it isn't. State by state, it is, drastically. Take Missouri. Through a wide variety of legislation initiatives, now there's only one clinic left in the state that will perform abortions. They are having trouble forcing it to close, so instead the last move was adding some nice, mandatory waiting period. You have to go, in person, to the clinic, wait 3 days, then come back. It you are in St Louis, it might be shitty, but it's not all that onerous. But what if you are now a white, middle class white woman living in st louis, but you live hours away? What if you don't own your own car? Suddenly, the waiting period asks you for 2 trips, or 3 days at a hotel, probably losing work time. Suddenly abortion is technically legal, but pretty hard to access for the poor. Those with money would have been served just as well if it was illegal in the state, and taking a trip to NY, just like rich girls could always get abortions in Spain's Franco by making a trip to the UK or France.

You can get stories like this in many other conservative states. Technically legal and available, in practice, not so much.
only one left?

Planned Parrenthood has at least two in just the 63131 zip code. Are abortion clinics like hydras, you cut off one of their heads and two grow back in their place.

Did you see the heading "Services Offered"? Read that for each clinic in that list that is in MO.

CapNClassic wrote:
How far do you think you should have to go to get an abortion? 1 mile, or less or it is an abortion desert.

Ideally within a few hours drive so that it doesn't take more than a day for a simple out-patient medical procedure...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He just got his book project "25 years of Tomorrow" kickstarted.

Too pricey for my tastes though...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Tomorrow is awesome, awesome snark. Who can forget Droney, the friendly surveillance drone?

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
hibikir wrote:
CapNClassic wrote:
Abortion isn't restricted very much. The majority of the public is against late-term abortion, so the Rebublicans are a better fit for most women who aren't radical feminists.


Nationally, it isn't. State by state, it is, drastically. Take Missouri. Through a wide variety of legislation initiatives, now there's only one clinic left in the state that will perform abortions. They are having trouble forcing it to close, so instead the last move was adding some nice, mandatory waiting period. You have to go, in person, to the clinic, wait 3 days, then come back. It you are in St Louis, it might be shitty, but it's not all that onerous. But what if you are now a white, middle class white woman living in st louis, but you live hours away? What if you don't own your own car? Suddenly, the waiting period asks you for 2 trips, or 3 days at a hotel, probably losing work time. Suddenly abortion is technically legal, but pretty hard to access for the poor. Those with money would have been served just as well if it was illegal in the state, and taking a trip to NY, just like rich girls could always get abortions in Spain's Franco by making a trip to the UK or France.

You can get stories like this in many other conservative states. Technically legal and available, in practice, not so much.
only one left?

Planned Parrenthood has at least two in just the 63131 zip code. Are abortion clinics like hydras, you cut off one of their heads and two grow back in their place.

How far do you think you should have to go to get an abortion? 1 mile, or less or it is an abortion desert.


Here's a map. Looks like there are two clinics in Missouri. Both in St. Louis.

http://www.batchgeo.com/map/5301dd0dce3d4e62a57d765d99ced353

In general, they appear to be located in major cities only.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trying to restrict means it's not restricted but they want it to be.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
einsteinidahosu wrote:
Tom Tomorrow is awesome, awesome snark.


But surely there's an expiration date on anti-Bush cartoons. Especially anti-GHWBush cartoons.


True, but I haven't read any of those lately, only ones on current issues. I didn't actually know how far back Dan Perkins' cartoons go until this thread. Wow it has been a while.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
einsteinidahosu wrote:
Tom Tomorrow is awesome, awesome snark. Who can forget Droney, the friendly surveillance drone?

what is funny about this cartoon is that the USA did bomb a wedding. That wedding was attended by a high value terrorist. Most of the casualties were terrorists, our smart bombs are very accurate (if I remember, two trucks with 4-5 AK-wielding terrorists were blown to bits).

The moral of the story, don't invite terrorists to your wedding.

Ok, that situation might be justified by itself. But the cartoon is making fun of the new military technology and how it's uncritically accepted and has little oversight. A lot of his cartoons have that message.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
CapNClassic wrote:
hibikir wrote:
CapNClassic wrote:
Abortion isn't restricted very much. The majority of the public is against late-term abortion, so the Rebublicans are a better fit for most women who aren't radical feminists.


Nationally, it isn't. State by state, it is, drastically. Take Missouri. Through a wide variety of legislation initiatives, now there's only one clinic left in the state that will perform abortions. They are having trouble forcing it to close, so instead the last move was adding some nice, mandatory waiting period. You have to go, in person, to the clinic, wait 3 days, then come back. It you are in St Louis, it might be shitty, but it's not all that onerous. But what if you are now a white, middle class white woman living in st louis, but you live hours away? What if you don't own your own car? Suddenly, the waiting period asks you for 2 trips, or 3 days at a hotel, probably losing work time. Suddenly abortion is technically legal, but pretty hard to access for the poor. Those with money would have been served just as well if it was illegal in the state, and taking a trip to NY, just like rich girls could always get abortions in Spain's Franco by making a trip to the UK or France.

You can get stories like this in many other conservative states. Technically legal and available, in practice, not so much.
only one left?

Planned Parrenthood has at least two in just the 63131 zip code. Are abortion clinics like hydras, you cut off one of their heads and two grow back in their place.

How far do you think you should have to go to get an abortion? 1 mile, or less or it is an abortion desert.


Here's a map. Looks like there are two clinics in Missouri. Both in St. Louis.

http://www.batchgeo.com/map/5301dd0dce3d4e62a57d765d99ced353

In general, they appear to be located in major cities only.

That map only shows one clinic in Missouri. You may be confused with the clinic on the east side of the river in Illinois
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
CapNClassic wrote:
hibikir wrote:
CapNClassic wrote:
Abortion isn't restricted very much. The majority of the public is against late-term abortion, so the Rebublicans are a better fit for most women who aren't radical feminists.


Nationally, it isn't. State by state, it is, drastically. Take Missouri. Through a wide variety of legislation initiatives, now there's only one clinic left in the state that will perform abortions. They are having trouble forcing it to close, so instead the last move was adding some nice, mandatory waiting period. You have to go, in person, to the clinic, wait 3 days, then come back. It you are in St Louis, it might be shitty, but it's not all that onerous. But what if you are now a white, middle class white woman living in st louis, but you live hours away? What if you don't own your own car? Suddenly, the waiting period asks you for 2 trips, or 3 days at a hotel, probably losing work time. Suddenly abortion is technically legal, but pretty hard to access for the poor. Those with money would have been served just as well if it was illegal in the state, and taking a trip to NY, just like rich girls could always get abortions in Spain's Franco by making a trip to the UK or France.

You can get stories like this in many other conservative states. Technically legal and available, in practice, not so much.
only one left?

Planned Parrenthood has at least two in just the 63131 zip code. Are abortion clinics like hydras, you cut off one of their heads and two grow back in their place.

How far do you think you should have to go to get an abortion? 1 mile, or less or it is an abortion desert.


Here's a map. Looks like there are two clinics in Missouri. Both in St. Louis.

http://www.batchgeo.com/map/5301dd0dce3d4e62a57d765d99ced353

In general, they appear to be located in major cities only.

That map only shows one clinic in Missouri. You may be confused with the clinic on the east side of the river in Illinois


I was! Good catch.. tho two was bad enough.

So the data supports the original assertion that there was only one clinic and the person who said abortion was readily available was, at best, wrong.

Cool.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.