Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Two Rooms and a Boom» Forums » General

Subject: Ways to prevent the last hostage exchange from being a coin flip??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm loving the game, but I can't help the feeling that the last hostage exchange is just a mind game between the two leaders, which gives it the feeling of a coin flip as to who will win, and also gives the non-leaders a sense of not being able to affect the actual end result much.

Example: If I'm the leader and I've been a good player, I've determined the identities of the President and/or Bomber, or at least have a hunch.

But assuming my deduction has been perfect, my final decision is still a coin flip (assuming they are currently in different rooms, if they are both in my room or neither are in my room then my decision is obvious).

Let's same I'm Blue and have the President. I could assume that Red is in control of the other room and will be sending over the Bomber, so then I should send the President.

But then I could also assume they are making the same assumptions about me and purposefully leaving the Bomber in their own room, knowing that I know that they know that I know...etc.

Classic Vicini dilemma from the Princess Bride, you can get lost in that loop forever but eventually you will have to make a decision, and it's really just a coin flip as to what decision to make.

I'm sorry if that was a bit confusing, but hopefully if you've played the game it made sense. If it did make sense to you, what are some ways you could possibly prevent it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply put: Get control of the president and bomber before the last round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
I'm loving the game, but I can't help the feeling that the last hostage exchange is just a mind game between the two leaders, which gives it the feeling of a coin flip as to who will win, and also gives the non-leaders a sense of not being able to affect the actual end result much.
That is a very valid concern. If you're only playing vanilla with no characters beyond the bomber and president, then it often can feel like a coin flip. Once you gain more experience and add more characters into the game, it changes quite a bit. Even games that feel like a final coin flip decision really aren't.

There's a great discussion about it in this thread:
"It is just a coin flip"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it as a race...if the game is coming down to a 'photo finish' then either both teams did a terrible job or an excellent job. But if either team pulls ahead early and can maintain that lead (control), they should be able to do so at the end as well.

It can and does happen with experienced (or lucky) players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls